Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Fire Tablet Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

I didn't see this when it was originally on tv, being only six or seven and probably in bed, so I'd never heard of it. I have a great love of everything and anything to do with the Home Front, and also collect 70s tv shows, so when this came up in a list of 'you may also like' I was certain that I would and took a chance on a dvd of something I'd never watched before. I loved it from the opening moments of the first episode. It's comedy, of course, but it's very well researched as social history. It gives a realistic portrayal of life as a land girl, not just the backbreaking work but the hostility that land girls often faced from farmers and the local community. There are plenty of laughs in spite of the adversities the girls faced, and the three characters - socialite Daphne, bold and confident Jenny and down to earth but sheltered Shirley - work well together, each being tested in her own way and finding support in the friendship of the other two. It's ultimately a very warm, positive feeling show, looking at a period when hardship hit everybody and they had to pull together and pull through.
on 8 July 2010
I already had four episodes of Backs To The Land. Two from series 1, one from series 2, and one from series 3 so I already knew that this was a very funny series, and it stands out very well.

The series was treated appallingly by some ITV networks during its three series run between Spring 1977, and Summer 1978 running for 20 episodes, and created by David Climie (Desert Mice).

The series starts off with, A Miss Is As Good As A Male, which introduces the three main stars Phillipa Howell as Shirley Bloom, Marilyn Galsworthy as Daphne Beauchamps, and Terese Stevens, as Jenny Dabb, but its the second episode which really gets this series going. Nypmphs And Shepherds Come Expensive, which sees the three characters use the farmers' lads to help with their work right behind the back of Tom Whitlow (John Stratton), who really doesn't want the girls on his farm, but pays a heavy price when the angry farmers demand he pay the wages of their lads.

There are some funny scenes with the arguments between Tom, and his wife played by Delia Payton. Others to look out for are : Peter Tuddenham (Blakes 7), Spencer Banks (Timeslip), David Troughton (Doctor Who), and Michael Troughton (Testament Of Youth) as the Whitlow sons.
on 26 September 2016
This must have been filmed in that long hot summer...1976?....I liked this very much..all the main characters are great...the script is very good...it's let down by for me, poor sound, and subtitles....and that's a shame..as for the other reviews...I'm sorry....but if you like darling buds of May..last of the summer wine..and the like you must be able to enjoy this...is it meant to leave you laugh manic at every turn?...the girls are are all warm characters...the Cockney gal jenny dabb is super in the role......as shop steward and a tough role model..for youngsters to enjoy. The farmer is the main man, and to sum up if you don't enjoy backs to the land, then I wonder what you were looking for in the first place?...it's not land girls...and its not meant to be...it's 1977...the audience if you hear are an old crowd, local tv used to have coach parties of grans and grandads and grandchildren..who were able to enjoy something they lived through....without its reality rammed down the throat......canned laughter indeed.!...ever so sorry we gave the idea we enjoyed backs to the land.....too much.....great theme tune as well. I already bought series 2 and 3...great escape tv.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2012
My wife and I were enthused about watching these series because we had already enjoyed three series of "Land Girls". However, I should have realized that this "sit-com" would have a "laugh-track" and it proved to be just too annoying for us to continue to watch. Nothing physically wrong with the DVD product, and packaging and delivery were fine.
on 10 September 2010
"Backs to the Land" takes an intriguing premise but then plops it into the threadbare (even in 1977) sitcom template. There are some funny scenes, to be sure, but few and far between. The "studio" audience certainly seemed to like it better than I did, as there is riotous laughter after every remark that could be considered even remotely amusing. Still, shortcomings acknowledged, I would recommend this set (and the subsequent two series as well) for those times when mindless entertainment is what you seek. Not too bad, really, but it could have been so much better. You may want to see the theatrical film "The Land Girls," which is a much more worthwhile depiction of the WLA.
on 31 August 2012
This is really old style British comedy, with canned laughter. I expected it to be along the same lines as Land Girls! What a disappointment and waste of money!!!
on 30 January 2017
thought it be like Land girls
on 1 October 2010
This was somthing I have been looking for since 1972, I am in the first scene and missed it when it went out, it has been good to view and bring back memories, still have a few chapters to view. I was told some years ago that it would cost me £53 to get the first epesode.
on 30 August 2010
I had watched this series many years ago and at the time enjoyed it, but on a refreshed viewing found it to be very twee and very dated. The canned laughter was irritating and the story line and humour bordered on slapstick and very obvious. The positive point of this series is that there is no foul language.
on 4 January 2011
Although the service getting the DVD was faultless, I am disappointed in the DVD. Saying that, it doesn't appeal to me but it may be suitable for other viewers