on 28 December 2010
We have had one of these since the snow in January 2010. We have quite a steep driveway leading straight into the road so have to have the drive cleared of snow to get out. With a normal spade and broom it used to take me around an hour to clear a 10cm fall of snow, with this wonderful device I can be done in 15/20 minutes. (I really do appreciate the extra 45 mins in bed in dark winter mornings!)

I'm 5'10" and the handle is just OK (if I were 6 foot it might be a little too short) the metal covered edge just cuts straight through the snow to the ground and a gentle push fills the scoop - the actual shovel is pretty light, so lifting it when the scoop is full of snow is not hard. In light falls of snow I just push the shovel along the ground and make a path pushing the snow in front of me.

The metal strip is, as far as I can tell, aluminium - steel would rust too quickly especially if salt has previously been used on the surface - and seems to be standing up well to use on our bricked driveway and the rather rough public footpath between us and the road.

If you are looking to make the chore of clearing driveways and paths quicker and easier this is a good place to start.
11 comment| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2010
I ordered this product despite it saying out of stock and it arrived in 9 days. It is made from strong plastic and the metal edge is perfect for scraping ice. The handle is long enough so I don't have to bend my back. This is an absolutely fantastic product and I would recommend anyone getting one.
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2010
This snow shovel was described as having a Steel edge to the blade, however, after using it once, the blade was well worn & within a few clearings over a 3 week period, the blade had worn away completely & dissapeared into the snow somewhere. Looked more like soft Aluminium to me & totally inadequate addition to the Shovels edge. The plastic edge is ok but starting to wear now. Spoiled what at first seemed a fantastic product.
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2010
First the discription says metal not steel, perhaps it's been changed. However my dad has an old and battered shovel with the same metal edge and it just keeps going on and on. I've been looking for a shovel for weeks and found this one at a hardware store at a extra £5. But rather than wait on the disrupted post I grabbed it. The handle is long enough and the shaft is strong. The scoop is big and so can move a large lump of snow. Guidance, this is not a strong steel spade and so don't use it for shifting old frozen ice. Chipping away at lumps of ice is likely to brake it as that is not what it is for. You need a hoe for that.
on 15 March 2011
When the first heavy snow arrived last November, all I had was a 'conventional' garden spade. Removing the snow from my drive was a back-breaking nightmare, and as more snow fell I lost the will to live until a neighbour came to help me with his trusty bulldog snow shovel. He whizzed through the snow with apparently scarcely any effort, and when I 'had a go' I was sold. I immediately bought one of these, and I have to say it's the best snow clearing shovel I've ever bought. It's light so you don't start off with something heavy even before you've lifted any snow, the handle comes attached so no need to fix it on, it's wide - more snow scooped up - it doesn't damage your drive, or jar your arms if you hit tarmac. Buy one. Buy two. Even though most of the snow has - thankfully - gone, buy this, and put it away for when the next snow falls. You won't regret it. I certainly haven't.
on 5 February 2011
On the face of it this product looks great and the name bulldog suggests robustness. In practice though it feels a little flimsy. The plastic shovel is of a softer material than some snow shovels, though this may be useful in some circumstances. The handle at the end of the shaft seemed to be a great idea, as I have shovelled a lot of snow in recent weeks. However, it is not a solid handle, as you may find on a sturdy garden shovel. It is injection moulded but not solid so that your hand has a smooth surface all the way round. I actually unscrewed it and turned it around so that the smooth part was on the palm of my hand. I would be concerned at getting blisters after using this product for any length of time.
on 11 February 2011
This was out of stock when it snowed late 2010 but I left the order in the system and I have now taken delivery, and I am impressed. There are some negative comments made regarding a 'steel' edge - it no longer says that, it just says metal. Regarding the handle, the model I received has a smooth wooden shaft and looks perfect for the job (not a thin broom handle but something manly, ggrrrrr!!). The business end is awesome is not flimsy and looks like it can handle as much snow as a person could deal with. Personally I would not expect this type of product to break up ice or shift large boulders of ice (again in some of the negative reviews) so I am delighted with the product and would recommend one to others.
on 19 December 2010
Absolute beast clear your drive in no time - also makes a great heavy weapon in a snow ball fight - it has an awesome payload.
on 3 January 2011
Good well made snow shovel, far easier than a normal metal shovel. BEWARE of cheap or even not so cheap imitations try and get a Bulldog one.
on 5 February 2012
We purchased the snow shovel as our experience over the last 2 years years living in the South England was being snowed in! Bright idea was to purchase a shovel in the summer months to be ready for winter. Guess what; the first time it was used on 5th Feb 2012 the shovel's handle broke. Good shovel appalling handle!

See one answered question