on 18 July 2010
Ok, first of all I want to say that I have written a number of reviews about security suites and anti-virus programs in the past and generally I do prefer free solutions...simply because they are free and usually just as effective as paid for products.

This product is different in one key way. It offers the excellent Acronis backup facility...this means you can backup an entire hard drive partition such as your Windows partition, making it possible to revert back to the exact state of your PC at any time..and best of all it keeps this backup updated quickly and easily. I cannot fault this side of the product at all.

The security/antivirus/firewall side off the program is actually pretty good...seems to run on my machines at a decent speed and doesnt hog too many resources. That said however (oh yes) I still prefer the free options, they tend to use less resources, they are free and they are just as good.

As a full security suite, this one offers that little bit more, so in that regard it really is an excellent program, but personally, I think I would buy the standalone Acronis backup utility and stick with the free security options.

Overall an excellent product if you are in the market for an all in one security suite with extras...but if you just want standard internet security....save your money
on 14 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For means of comparison I will compare against the 2008 version, which is the latest version I had previously owned. Firstly, this is faster. Faster to install, faster to scan (both on the first time and subsequently) and faster to backup. This version is also Windows 7 compatible, the previous was not (or at least not natively, I think there was some work-around available). Access to the 5GB online backup is simpler and logically laid out, and overall an improvement on all other systems I have tried. The incremental system for backup is logically more efficient than the standard dumping of everything into one big file, however it takes some getting used to (i.e. not having to do it yourself, and trusting that the program is working okay). The security system is similar to the old one and works as well as always, and has stopped some web-based exploits which tried to take over my PC. Perhaps AVG would have stopped them also, but at least this did and made my options clear on how to deal with the threat. So overall I am very happy with this new version.
on 21 August 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was looking for a backup and security package to replace Norton 360 which was running out of licence and although a good anti-virus product had not stopped one of our PC's getting infected with Mal-wear. Also its back-up solution leaves something to be desired offering no incremental backup and compressed bespoke files. I was attracted to Acronis by the way it seemed to combines both back-up and Anti-virus. It was simple to install and provides a customisable GUI supporting both novices and experts needs. The back-up program is excellent being both easy to set up and supporting options such as partitions, mirrored drives, or individual files with options for incremental backup and scheduling. The security element providing both firewall and antivirus are simple to set up and easily understandable. They seem a little basic and clunky though and slow my PC boot up time. I am not sure of their efficiency yet but they are not as intuitive as Norton. So a program of two halves then - great back-up solution and an OK firewall and security package.
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As an all round backup and security package I have to say this beats a lot of others in the way it combines both concepts neatly and easily. First off, it was certainly easy to install without any problems and provides you with the opportunity to determine your level of input by selecting your experience level, so novices have a much nicer GUI with very obvious options, while experts are provided a much simpler interface which does indeed require you to be more knowledgeable, but rewards you with plenty of options to set up.

The backup program is excellent in comparison to some others I've used (Windows, Nero, Ashampoo etc). It was very easy to set up and provided plenty of options on how I wanted to undertake my backups. You can choose to backup partitions, operating systems, whole drives, or just a couple of files, by the usual methods, (full, incremental,etc). And there are multiple options on scheduling them as well which is great. Recovery is equally superb as it allows you to recover just one file out of a full backup rather than the whole thing.

Alongside that, there are multiple other tools such as drive deletion, copying, image mounting etc, so plenty of other useful components to use. And that's just the Image component of the program. You then also have the Security component which provides both firewall and antivirus programs which are again very easy to set up and the novice in particular has little to do other than say Ok to most questions the program asks. Everything is well laid out and easily understandable.

However, I ran into some issues with it and they were fairly frustrating at the time. If for any reason you corrupt the program, and need to uninstall it, you'll discover that won't be just as easy as installation. It tends to hold on to some (very hidden) files and keys in the registry that require you to go off to Acronis and download a removal tool, which does sort it out but that isn't something everyone's going to know to do. It seems to conflict easily with some other programs and once it runs into problems there's no easy way to fix them sometimes other than with a reinstall.

But overall, an excellent product and I've no problem recommending it for anyone who wants a good all-round package to serve on both fronts.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a writer I keep hundreds of documents, sound and image files on my computer and the thought of losing all of them chills me to the bone. As a result of my paranoia I back them up on many flash drives just to be safe. But for those of you who don't consider this type of protection to be enough then Acronis 2010 ought to be bring you some extra relief.

Not only does it offer security against the alarming number of viruses out there (more and more every day) but it also offers a back-up facility so that even if your computer/laptop is menaced by a virus you can reset to a previous configuration. I just wish I had the peace of mind that it will protect against ANYTHING, as no virus protection seems to be 100%.

My only gripe is the needlessly large box these softwares are still released in. A DVD-sized Amaray case would work just fine.
on 17 August 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
although this might have been useful a few years ago before dropbox, microsoft kydrive etc, its now obsolete. What is the point o fpaying for a 1 year subscription to have 5gb cloud data with a clunky interface if you can have microsoft skydrive or dropbox that as well as storing your data securely for free can also automatically sync it with your ipad, phone etc...
Security features are also not very helpful as these days microsoft security essentials is more than adequate etc.
Don't waste your money. Get a dropbox, microsoft skydrive or apple icloud account instead...for free...with the option of scaling up for relatively small subscriptions if you need more space.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Easily set up and installed, none intrusive and easy to operate. I had to remove my Virgin Media backup but that was the only glitch.

Recommended.
on 17 June 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having tried a few different software packages recently, this is one of the original and I think is still the best.

The 3 PC licence is helpful, and the interface feels far more 'clean' than many of the cheaper products out there. The FTP function is very well implemented, and is one of the fundamental advantages over Windows Backup.

Overall, this is a product I would trust with my data.
on 7 April 2012
Delivered the next day BUT HERES WHERE IT GETS HAIRY

ACRONIS 9 WORKED FOR YEARS NO PROBLEMS
AFTER MANY HOURS SEARCHING I FOUND THAT ACRONIS NOW SELLS THIS PACKAGE WHICH LASTS FOR ONE YEAR ONLY THEN YOU BUY ANOTHER 1 YEARS SUBSCRIPTION
ITS PRETTY WELL COVERED UP AND YOU NEED TO DIG A LOT TO GET THE ANSWER.

INSTALL IT DO A BACKUP THEN OVER A YEAR FROM NOW YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE SCREWED BIG TIME.

IT IS NOT JUST THE SECURITY PORTION WHICH RUNS OUT OF TIME , THE BACKUP AND RECOVERY PORTION DISABLES ITSELF .
ACRONIS ARE OFFERING AN EASTER DEAL FOR £40 , WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU IS THATS £40 PER YEAR EVERY YEAR .

PRETTY SHARP PRACTISE , I TOOK THE ENTIRE PACKAGE TO THE BIN AND DUMPED IT AND WILL NEVERUSE AN ACRONIS PRODUCT EVER AGAIN

Just found in windows 7 a backup and restore function which is as fast and trouble free and costs nothing
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 June 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used Acronis TrueImage Backup software in all previous versions and last year installing TrueImage 2010 to be Windows 7 compatible I thought this would be a good idea.
I have constanly praised TrueImage over all its competitors and given it a 5 star review as a standalone product.
Trying to install Acronis Backup and Security 2010 immediately gave this message.
We detected that Acronis True Image Home installed on your computer. In order to install Acronis Backup and Security, please uninstall Acronis True Image Home first and
restart the installation.
Acronis Backup and Security 2010 includes a modified version of Acronis True Image Home 2010. It is not possible to have both Acronis Backup and Security 2010 modified version and usual version of Acronis True Image Home 2010 installed together.
As I had bought TrueImage 2010 which is not subject to a 12 month restriction this is a bad move to now install the same program (albeit 3 licences which I dont need).
I now wont be using this product but sticking to TrueImage 2010 and Microsoft Essentials and Defender which are free. I dont think I would have used the online storage as my Broadband upload speed is so awful. Pointing this out to Acronis Customer services gives a standard reply as follows.

The main difference between Acronis True Image Home 2010 modification included in Acronis Backup and Security 2010 and usual Acronis True Image Home 2010 is in licensing:
Acronis Backup and Security 2010 licensing is subscription based (1 year for 3 machines).
Acronis True Image Home 2010 licensing is permanent (permanent for 1 machine).
In addition, Acronis Backup and Security 2010 modification is specially designed and tested to work in this bundle - and to prevent any incompatibility issues only one product can be installed on the machine at the same time.