on 10 March 2017
I tried to personalise it following the unclear instructions but achieved nothing. I liked the fact the voice is British English rather than the usual annoying Canadian English.
on 23 December 2016
Ok so the reviews about this being more a simpler, less functional and varied product in terms of content to the older version are correct. However I find it is really helpful for learning the alphabet and pretending to be on a laptop like mummy and daddy (we work from home on laptops frequently). I find the songs are also ones my daughter likes and one song counts to 20 which I'm overjoyed with as most toys stop at 10. It's has simple easy to understand options unlike other products on the market like the vtech laptop. My 2.5 year old is going to find this very educational this Christmas. The only thing I would improve is having a backlit screen, maybe in multiple colours and improve the contrast -it's a little hard to see. Other than that it's a simple toy. I'd also like more learning content like days of the week and learn the time - but the alphabet is what I wanted and it does this just fine.
on 27 December 2017
Very disappointed as it was a Christmas present. I got the pink one for my little girl and it arrived on time and that’s the only positive. Tried to switch on but wasn’t working so I thought that I need the batteries but when opened to put them in I realised that batteries were already in but they were bad. Than I changed with ones I bought and it switched on so I was happy and thought that everything will be ok now. So I started with the letters first and it doesn’t matter what letter I will press it’s ether says g or doesn’t respond at all. After good two or three minutes some of the letters start to work. When it’s changed to the music setting it keeps saying press the paw button but when it pressed it doesn’t respond. So I thought it will be nice present but it was complete waste of money so I am sending it back. I can see that it has lots of good responses so maybe I was unlucky with the faulty one.
on 24 September 2015
Well-constructed and designed mini "laptop" for your toddler. The settings can be personalised by logging onto the Leapfrog website and setting up an account, then each time the laptop is started or an interactive program is used, it will address your child by name.
There are plenty of functions on the device to keep them amused and it serves as both a play and educational tool.
This is the second one I have bought over the last three years, and my only gripe is that the graphics desperately need upgrading, even if this means a slight rise in price. At present, the blocky, 80s-style images are not appealing even to kids of this age when most have some access to smartphones and tablets with their bold colours and realistic visuals.
So it really doesn't compute that the Leapfrog persist with this prehistoric technology - particularly when, that aside, they have produced such a worthy item.
on 6 September 2015
This leaptop is a cut down version from the old version which most of the 5 star reviews refer to. You can not connect it to a computer, send emails or add games, or favourite tunes. And it will not longer pronounce your child's name. You can enter your child's name in 'parent mode' e) and it will then spell your child's name when the first letter of the name is pressed. This is atotally different product from the one that has all the 5 star reviews. There is no USB port and you unable to customise other than put in your childs name but this is of not much use as it merely spells the name when first letter is entered it does not say the name.

It appears to be of a sturdy build but is not the item I was expecting, So please check, if you can prior to purcheace, that the one Amazon are sending is the older model with USB and can be receive e-mails, and is able to be customised properly.
on 15 February 2016
I bought this for my 2 year old toddler. She loves pressing the buttons to hear the alphabet, phonetics and animal. I agree that some of the animals are quite difficult for toddlers of this age (i must admit there's a word or two that I don't know myself!) Nevertheless I think it helps her very much to learn the alphabets. The screen is not easy to see and you almost have to tilt the screen to a certain angle to be able to see anything. It's a good size and the handle is great for little hands. It would have been 5 stars if they improve the screen.
on 29 November 2016
Was looking forward to getting this for my 18 month old son. He already has the Leapfrog phone, with the Scout character that he loves. Was so disappointed as the contrast on the screen is dreadful, it is so dull and dark it is a struggle to see the graphics. Have tried in various lights and it's hopeless. My son enjoys listening to the music and sounds when he presses the buttons, but doesn't look at the screen at all. The photos are very misleading, the screen is shown as bright with sharp contrast. I thought the screen would be similar to that of the phone, it is nothing like this. I am surprised at all of the rave reviews, perhaps we have a faulty version?. Not good.
on 15 April 2016
I bought this when it was a good price for my daughter for her 2nd birthday. She doesn't tend to pay much attention to the educational element of electronic toys so I wasn't sure how successful this one would be but it's been brilliant. She was just starting to learn the alphabet and this has really helped her. She's also learnt some new animals from it. It would be nice if there were a couple more games to play though and its a shame you can't personalise it with the child's name. Also each letter is represented by a different animal but they obviously struggled with some letters - such as U for 'umbrella bird', not something I had heard before let alone recognise a picture of it so I'm not sure how a 2 year old is supposed to when I couldn't help her with that one!
on 4 November 2015
My son enjoys playing with it. The buttons do not fill me with great confidence and expect them to potentially start failing soon as they feel very 'soft' and sometimes need a bit of a harder press to get the key to register. Not sure how the email function works as it just talks back but the games and music functions do provide some light entertainment. In the few weeks we've had this my son has started to recite the alphabet and increased his counting ability from 10 to 20 so does help with a child's development. Another bonus is that my son now leaves my work laptop alone!
on 25 January 2012
This is a very good toy. It is fun and you learn with it. I bought it for my two year old son and he adores it.
You connect it to a computer and write the name of your child say Romeo. so each time you turn it on it says "Hello Romeo" you don't choose from pre-set names, you write whatever your child is known as say Sammy, Johnie, Kiki, Nikki, or any short cut name. It allows you to make that choice, so it makes the toy so personal for your child. It calls his name now and then.

The email too is a brilliant idea. as we listen to the emails I composed to my son. he just beams with excitement! It is a good toy both for fun and learning.

You learn have 26 alphabets with different 26 sounds of any musical instrument, 26 different sounds of different animals, 26 names of animals that begin with each letter of the alphabet and some music. How brilliant!
and it celebrates the letter that begins with your child's name.

The battery life is also good. It takes only 2 small batteries and really lasts.

my little boy adores it and i think is a very good bargain and worth every penny. No regrets.