on 21 May 2015
Must see
on 10 July 2010
I was curious to see if a film of this age would look much better on Blu-ray, and I have to say it does. Of course it can't match the quality of later films, but you can see the resolution is still higher than you can get on a DVD. The Blu-ray sticks to the original film format, which I prefer. There's no stretching of the picture or cropping to make it fit a TV screen. Like most of these classic films, it has been well restored. The only flaws you can see are an occasional minor vertical scratch. It gives you a good idea of what this film must have looked like to the original audience. I'm finding films more enjoyable on Blu-ray. There's more detail, more to look at, bringing out things you never noticed before. They seem to have sorted out the problem of the missing DVDs with this series. The Extras are the same as those released on DVD before.
on 17 May 2010
I've been waiting for this to be re-issued onto DVD for a while now.
To get this on Blu-Ray aswell, in the same package is a real bonus.
The DVD has all the extras on, that fans will love & the Blu-Ray quality is excellent.
I've read the review below & this was apparently a simple manufacturing error, where the DVD
was originally left out (This is a double disc set, containing the Blu-Ray & the DVD in one box)
Amazon were fine with me, taking back my copy & sending out the corrected version straight away.
An excellent, highly recommended
on 9 June 2010
I'd never seen this film before and I wondered how I was going to enjoy a 'silent' movie - I needn't have worried. A great story, and the comedy sequences made me laugh out loud - it takes a lot to do that: Chaplin's comic timing was immaculate. Beautiful picture quality considering the age of the film. The music sounded good, too, and fitted the action perfectly (I believe, set by Mr Chaplin himself in the 1970s).
My first copy didn't have the DVD either, but before I'd opened the box I received an email from Amazon saying they'd send me a replacement, which they quickly did. I would imagine that problem has gone away now.
on 15 August 2008
I can't really say more about Charlie Chaplin, I'm sure you're all aware of his genius not only acting but directing and writing. This movie, The Kid, really showcases his talent, which surprised me because of the early date of the film, 1921. It was also the second highest-grossing film in that year. And the praise is deserved, because the Kid is a lot of things. It's a comedy, yes, but it's got loads of serious drama, probably the first film to do combine the two. Charlie Chaplin was socially aware, and this film is also considered the first to portray realistically the conditions of the lower urban classes at the beginning of the Gilded Age. The Kid is also just a flat-out great movie, the emotional bond between Mr. Chaplin and, also considered the first child star actor, Jackie Coogan serves as the basis for a touching and funny feature. Can't wait to show this one to my kids a little later.
on 16 May 2014
1921 Chaplin genius. The brilliance is there in the details and, at the same time, the way the details are seamless within the narrative. Those seeing the film as only charming simply don't perceive how great it is. Without an eye for Chaplin, yes, all it is is Chaplin when, however, there is so much more. Of course, Chaplin was already great back in 1917 with things like The Immigrant, and this is all of four years advances (in film) later. It's no wonder he was revered by other film makers.
on 27 December 2010
"The Kid" was missing from my collection of Charlie Chaplin movies,so I purchased it and found it enchanting, as exppected. No kidding, "The Kid" is just what I wanted. I am satisfied with my purchase and the prompt response of Amazon.UK.
on 7 July 2014
Beautiful film. Funny, sad and touching. This was the first time I watched the film in its entirety and in blu-ray. A wonderful experience. Chaplin at his best and Coogan the most endearing little kid on film.
on 9 January 2014
Some scenes were omitted. This was bought for my parents who were not at all happy with it. They have requested tat I purchase another The Kid DVD
on 18 March 2013
I am comparing this to the quality of the free copyright-free copies of the film. This is an EXCEPTIONAL release. I loved this movie when I saw it, but it was low quality. Now I have this most gorgeous film in true blu-ray quality! The detail of this film is truly exceptional, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Emotional doesn't even come close. This movie is age-less, and the acting by the child is better than any Oscar winner we have had in recent memory. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!