on 8 March 2013
Firstly, This is very close to a five star rating so I will just be negative about why I deducted one star. The light comes with a separate battery pack which hold 4 'AA' batteries whcih in fairness are required to power this monster light beam. The battery pack is mounted seperately to a waist strap which leaves the cable running from your head to your waist.
This in effect isnt a big issue but just makes it slightly awkward in putting the light on to begin with.
Otherwise, The light from this headlight is more than adequate and makes night time running as easy as daytime running. It is also very visible to oncoming traffic and has the capacity to dazzle oncoming drivers should they leave the car lights on full beam.
Battery life seems to be fairly alright considering the light this emits and the coloured LED when you turn it off lets you know the health of your batteries well before you would get stranded in the dark. Most of my runs at night are usually in to 10K market and I find the light very good for these on country lanes which have no other light sources.
Overall, after about a month of usage, i have had no problems and it comes with my recommendation.
8 people found this helpful
on 24 February 2014
Had this torch 9 months and still impressed with it. With the battery pack mounted on its waist belt the head unit is nice and light and stays put even when running hard. Have not had any problems with the battery pack bouncing around.

The torch gives a nice wide beam of bright white light that really lights up the path and not just a small circle 6 feet in front. Maybe could do with a boost buttton for looking for foot path signs on the far side of a field.

Have used this while running on the canal paths and woods of England and in the Norwegian mountains and its worked without fault.

Battery life is excellent with a set lasting 2 whole nights while completing an Ultra marathon in Norway as the unit is bright enough on low power and only needing to be turned up to full for tricky descents or spotting things in the distance.

Would buy again.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 September 2013
I am absolutely delighted with the performance of this head torch.
It is light as the battery pack sits on a waist belt and doesn't slip on the head no matter what the terrain is like.
The amount of light and the spread of the beam have ment that so far I haven't taken a tumble when running through my local woods at night.
Only complaint I noticed is that when I run in extremely cold weather the light illuminates my breath but I can't blame the torch for that.
One person found this helpful
on 3 September 2013
I bought this when I was doing a 24 hour off road event. It was great. Good light, good battery life - approx 7 hours on the highest setting before it started to dim and very lightweight. It was very comfortable to wear and didn't slip or rub. I would recommend this product:)
on 21 October 2013
I bought this head torch for jogging early in the morning. Our council have recently turned off the streetlights at midnight and the lights do not come back on until after I go out jogging. It is brilliant! The light is bright and illuminates my path well, it is also very lightweight on my head as the batteries are held in a case round my waist. I would definitely recommend this item. I will probably use when riding my bike as well and when walking the dogs!
on 4 November 2013
Good headlight with nice vision. Perhaps could be a tad brighter but I can run with it in the forest at night (albeit slightly tentatively).
Comfortable to carry and run with and I am pleased with it.
on 11 October 2015
Still in regular use for night trail running. Battery life is very good and although not the most powerful of Silva head torches, Great value for money.
on 7 January 2016
kind of bulky but good matterial and light output is bright enough
on 29 October 2013
LED light is great, wide & clear beam, easy adjusting of the beam.
The belt to hold the battery pack is however not stiff enough to hold the weight of the pack: the pack is continuously bouncing around when running. I will now try to clip on the part of the belt where the belt folds double, although it seems a tight fit to clip it on there.
on 9 December 2014
Power. Amazing bright light. Well worth it.