on 16 July 2011
The Dollanganager book series (flowers in the attic, petals in the wind, if there be thorns, seeds of yesterday and garden of shadows) is the best work of Virginia Andrews. It was written in 1979 (flowers in the attic) and cause shockwaves with its incest and child abuse storyline.

Subsequent sequel books successfully carried the original and thrilling story and the final book chapter is very poignant. Each book brings new revelations and depth to the characters. There are rumours that the characters are based on true events but this has never been proven.

There are several other book series (some ghost written) but they tend to cover the same themes and can be repetitive. If you only want to read one book, definitely read the flowers in the attic.
on 14 December 2002
If you have read the other books in this series you will love this one because you learn the origins of the characters. The past behind that cruel heartless grandmother who locked her grandchildren up in the attic, the grandfather who we anxiously waited for him to die and the family background of Corrine and the truth about her past.
A must read book for lovers of Flowers in the attic
on 19 December 2010
Bought this for Christmas for my daughter. My wife has read all of the books and highly recommends this set. Great value and express delivery.
on 10 April 2000
Read it and weep. This takes you back to Olivia's meeting with Malcolm, a loveless uncaring father of two boys Mal and Joel until the birth of Corrine where he becomes the doting father who expects her to stay with him until his death.
I would recommend you read this book to find out just where the incestous relationship came from and who exactly was to blame.
on 27 August 2012
This book is the prequel to the Dollanganger series. It gives the history and the origins of the Flowers in the Attic series. How to describe this book? It is dark, brooding, atmospheric and gives an insight in to this highly dysfunctional family and sets the tone for the series. It gives a detailed account of the Grandmother Olivia Foxworth and how her love for her children sours and hardens her heart to the "devil spawn" grandchildren who's fate lies in her and her daughter Corrine's hands. From the original sin of Malcolm's misdeed with Alicia, the future generations find history does indeed repeat itself and the book shows how the seeds are sown. The use of imagery is very powerful and adds to the atmosphere of the book. The character of the Grandmother is particularly revealing. Once she welcomed love and happiness but sadly, living at Foxworth manor changes that and her character is moulded into the powerful, controlling matriach she evolves into. The book is so well written, at times it makes for gruesome yet compelling reading.

This book definitely is not to be missed at least because it is a wonderful prequel to the series and sets the tone for the plight of the Dollanganger children. Wonderful, gothic and atmospheric, I never tire of reading or re-reading this book.
on 29 June 2004
If you have read the other 4 books in this series,like me not realising that there was a prequel, then you have to get this book ! It's essential reading and leaves you with an 'ah, I get it now' understanding about the other books ! It's a wonderful read.
on 6 September 2011
Brilliant books and excellent service. I would highly recommend this company to anyone. Thank you for the prompt delivery x
on 6 August 2015
By the end I was tearing-up because a wonderful story had come to an end and I had to take my leave of the characters with whom I had shared so many adventures, whom I had loved and admired, for whom I hoped and feared. I Highly Recommend everyone read the entire series!
on 30 November 2010
i received the book set very quickly after purchase and in good condition.
i was very satisfied with the service i received.
on 31 December 2015
I discovered Virginia Andrews' books many, many years ago, and I have never forgotten them. In fact, I could argue that my love of reading began with her novels. Flowers in the Attic was the first book I ever read and I still remember staying up late reading, desperate to know more.

Recently I have found myself increasingly disappointed with modern fiction - my eyes glazing over after a few chapters, often unable to finish the book as it's been so poor and has failed to capture my interest. I found myself thinking nostalgically to those first adult books I ever read. I decided that they were so good, I would re-read them all.

I started with the Garden of Shadows, as it is a prequel to Flowers in the Attic. Once again I was mesmerised by Foxworth Hall, by the characters. The story moves so fast that it is impossible to get bored. Thr characters, sad as they are, feel so real that you want to read to the end but at the same time you don't want the book to end.

Absolutely riveting. I am now re-reading the second book: Flowers in the Attic.

They just don't make books like this anymore...!