Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 April 2010
Difficult to pin-point the exact reason for not being as good as stanley rd. or 22 D. but having listened to it a few times in one day (to/from work on tube) there's something missing from his normal entertaining/exciting music.
on 20 April 2010
After much expectation this was a touch of a disappointment for me. As background music, yes, it's ok, but compared to previous triumphs this is not Paul's finest hour.

Its generic, same old and still quite listenable; but if you're looking for something fresh and new this is not it.
on 22 June 2010
Love Paul Weller, slightly disappointed with this latest album which was 'bigged up' by all radio stations. At present there is only one song which I really like so I guess a few more attempts to listen to the whole thing is required whereupon, I hope to develop a taste for the latest in the music scene - Wake up the Nation is appropriate because some of the tunes are just a racket!!
on 20 September 2014
Expected more from the guru of angry honesty
on 17 April 2010
This is a good album, and it grows on you with each listen. I've not heard any of his other albums completely so can't really conpare it, but maybe saying its the best of his career is a little too far?

I would recommend it, but the two main problems I have with this LP are that most of the songs are quite short (around the 2 minute-2.5 minute mark) and the vocals aren't loud enough, making it difficult to hear what words he is singing in some places.

Trees, No tears to Cry and Wake up the nation are my highlights, but there isn't a bad song on here.
on 23 April 2010
I was not a fan of 22 Dreams, this effort is not great either. However I bought the deluxe edition which has a second disc, buy it and listen to that instead because it is much better! The songs on disc 2 are much better versions I think they got the discs mixed up on the release but decided to keep quite and see if we noticed!
on 31 August 2014
Gr8
on 8 September 2010
Stop trying so hard Paul. KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid! A star for the track no tears to cry. It's the only track with good melody and rhythm. Apart from that this record is very disappointing. I can see what the man was trying to do with this record and it may of worked if it were more subtle. But there's just no groove to sink into like his previous work. Too 'loud'-the recording is shocking. It's over compressed, then the recording levels ramped up for impact. All it does is reduce the dynamics. The Magic Numbers are a great example of modern recording quality. I keep trying to give it a go, as I usually love his work, but it's just too painful. I found this with the Stones' remastered CD's. The original CD's I had sounded closer to the vinyl versions. With the new CD's there was a clear difference in individual instrument and vocal levels, which made me suspect towards more a re-mix rather than re-mastered. So, the new ones went back. I digress. With Wake Up The Nation the content is poor with terrible (sound) quality. If I like a CD, I tend to buy the LP. Not this time. I'll hang onto the CD as I have the rest of his studio albums and that is all I can suggest. Get it as a Weller fan, but don't expect to play it much!
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2010
Love Paul Weller's music and have done since the Jam but found it difficult to enjoy this album because of the truly appalling sound quality: flat, thin and tinny. Unforgivable in this day and age
on 20 August 2014