Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 May 2010
After hearing the mesmerising 'Everwhere I Go' on we7.com I checked out Lissie's other songs. I also saw her live in a tiny venue in London in February 2010. Quite simply, she's an amazing talent. Her voice, with a huge likeness to Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac, is so powerful and bluesey, and her sheer energy on stage has me hooked. 'In Sleep' reveals some decent guitar skills and 'Record Collector' steadily builds to a fantastic ending... I love this album, and urge you to check it out, and check Lissie out live, her band are equally as talented and can really rock... A real talent, and one to watch in 2010 and onwards. Buy this album!!
44 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 23 June 2010
Jeez! I'm flabbergasted at the sheer brilliance of Lissie. I've just seen her live at the Glee Club in Birmingham and she and her band astounded and spellbinded and just dragged bluesy-folky-alterno-rocky-souly music slap, bang into the present. She's completely her own person. Her own, humble, almost diffident self. Refreshingly un-diva-like. A regular kinda gal with Mississippi mud permanently wedged deep in her fingernails and soul... Her songwriting is wonderfully free of cliche and cod-portentousness like so many of her over-hyped and under-talented contemporaries. Many of whom have ridiculous levels of critical and public adulation. Lissie, on the other hand, wipes the floor with all of them! She's nothing less than the voice of a generation and of a particular geography. She's as essential and important an artist as Regina Spektor. They both share a fierce intelligence and great songcraft. Regina is, obviously, madder. And her stunning, baffling compositions reflect this greater madness. Lissie is, arguably, more sincere. She's certainly less self-consciously quirky. But her simpler songs have an elemental power that is all her own. I love all the songs on this genre-defying album in their own way. But I'm sent into spirals of quasi-religious ecstasy by the "won't you fill me up with it..." mini-mantra in the middle of Record Collector that reminds me of the similar ecstasy that the goddess chant in Inkubus Sukkubus's Wytches sends me into.
Nevermind the religious epiphanies... just check out her versions of (improvements on) Metallica's Nothing Else Matters and Lady GaGa's Bad Romance on youtube. Sadly omitted from this album, they prove just how unbelievably versatile Lissie really is - best album of 2010. (Possibly first equal with Dommin... I'm not sure yet...)
on 19 June 2010
After six months of playing part, or all of this album nearly every day, I still love it as much as I did when it was released. If it was possible to inject this album into my veins I probably would.
Lissie has so much talent I can't say. The voice, the lyrics, the honesty, and more..
It simply dosen't get any better!
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2012
This album has racked up some serious air-time on my iPod and that is not because I put it on and disappear to do other things. When I stick this album on it gets listen to from start to finish and it has every part of my attention.

Starting with Record Collector the album gets off to a great start. The finger tapping rhythms and great sound are enough to get me singing along and enjoying every minute of it. Then it gets better. "When I'm Alone" and "In Sleep" are probably two of the best songs on the album if I had to choose a couple that were better than the rest although its a harsh thing to do to this album. The swinging tune "When I'm Alone" is a stunner and it never gets skipped, NEVER. In Sleep is a slightly more upbeat song and it has a great chorus, mind you so does "When I'm Alone". Other stand out songs without going into too much depth are "Bully", "Cuckoo" a great up tempo song with lots of feel good factors about it, and the finisher "Oh Mississippi" a slow and sad number that closes a fantastic debut.

In short, get this album, your collection shouldn't be without it and you are missing out on a great talent if you chose to ignore it!
on 25 March 2012
Saw her at the Snow Patrol concert at the O2 and she was stunning, brought this album on the back of that and sorry apart from track 8 this is a over produced instantly forgettable album where all of Lissie's raw talant is washed away. I am hoping her new album fares better as she has a gorgeous strong vocal range but its on the missing list here.
on 22 June 2011
saw Lissie on Tv a few days ago and she sang Mississippi with all feeling, as if her life depended on it - it was great but this CD made a couple of years ago has no spirit at all and it is mostly dull.
I had not really hard of this singer and bought this on a whim. She has a great voice with elements of country and rock. The songs are good. Melissa Etheridge country or Miranda Lambert rock? I could see fans of both these artists enjoying this album. This album is a bit different. it is refreshing. it has an honesty about it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
on 17 May 2013
I had never heard of Lissie until recently when I heard hear latest single reviewed on BBC London. I bought this album on the strength of that (evan though the single is not on it!) and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. All the tracks on the album are really good (without the usual couple of weak filler tracks you seem to get with most albums) and the most impressive aspect is the strength of her vocals, she really does have a great voice.

The fact that someone with this amount of vocal and songwriting talent hasn't made a bigger impact says a lot about the music industry that seems to be geared around punting out lightweight commercial rubbish aimed at twelve year olds.
on 25 June 2010
I kept hearing the song 'when I'm alone' on Radio 2, but Steve Wright didn't say who it was until yesterday!
I downloaded the album from Amazon that same day without hearing anything else, which is something I very rearly do as I am very fussy where music is concerned. I'm pleased to say I'm glad I took the risk! This is a great album, it's so refreshing to here someone like this, with a great voice and song writing skill who is not following the same template as most artists these days.

There's a mix of styles here, Folk, Rock, Blues and Pop, and it's all good! I'm only on my second listen and I love it already, which is another rare thing for me, as it usually takes a while for something to catch.

If you are a fan of Female vocalists but fed up with Gaga, Rhianna, etc, etc.. This could be for you.
on 17 July 2010
I very rarely feel the need to write reviews of music I buy, but this girl is just so amazingly talented that I felt the need! I first heard Lissie's song "In Sleep" some months back now, and was totally hooked by her voice and lyrics. I looked her up on youtube, and came across her version of "Bad Romance" (I can't stand Lady Gaga) which is possibly one of the best performances you are ever likely to see, and from that moment on I have become increasingly spell bound by this beautifully raw amazingly talented girl. Songs like "Here Before" and the haunting "Everywhere I go" show she has been through some tough stuff, but she is just so still totally her own woman, and you feel like you know her after listening to her music as it's just so honest and you just know she puts every inch of her soul into the songs. I honestly cannot rate this girl high enough, she fully deserves all her success, but I just hope it doesn't change her or her music, because at present they are both simply hauntingly perfect.

My only slight gripe is that the recordings of some of the songs on the album are slightly inferior to the live versions on YT (if you haven't yet watched any then you simply must).