on 4 July 2016
This is the first time I've bought an album by Stacey Kent - so glad I did; even if you don't understand a word of French her quirky, joyful and original arrangements of these songs are a delight. I've been playing it constantly for ten days now! I can understand enough French to get the gist of most of the songs; some lovely new words here too and all the lyrics are available online in translation. Stacey is American but was close to her grandfather who insisted they spoke only in French; the gift he gave her shines through here, her accent is flawless. If you want something which sums up the very essence of France, buy this.
on 2 October 2015
This a lovely record, Stacey has such a wonderful voice, part little girl and part sexy adult woman. The French accent sounds second nature to her too, unlike many Americans who destroy it!/
It's such a lovely voice I could listen to it all day, but is this her best record? I'm not sure, there are so many alternatives, and my collection is nowhere near complete. It is sufficient to say that the money was well spent. Even if you don't speak French, and sadly mine is nowhere near good enough, the essence of the songs and the timbre (ooh, French!) are worth listening too.
on 13 October 2010
Okay, it's all in French, and maybe that's why it's special as well as yet another showcase for Stacey. She could sing the phone book and it would be sexy, but in French? Even sexier...the clarity, the phrasing, the adherence to music as it was written, with no 'stylizing' which often detracts. Ah, Stacey...you and me in a darkened room. I say darkened, so I can't see your talented arranger and saxophonist husband to put me off....
2 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2011
Have just discovered Stacey Kent after finding out who was singing on the tv advert (Hushabye Mountain). Have Collection 111, which is great and have just ordered this cd after borrowing it from the local library. Love to hear her singing in French. Perfect to chill out to, in my case late at night. The arrangements are excellent and the tenor sax playing adds that extra "je ne sais quoi".
2 people found this helpful
on 28 December 2010
This is a great album. Stacey Kent is brave to release a whole album in French - but it pays off in spades. It is brilliant, classic, chanson jazz. My personal favourite is La Vénus Du Mélo'. Just playing it makes the dark winter mornings that more pleasant and lighter.
4 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2015
this album is truly beautiful, delicate and sophisticated. Stacey Kent's beautiful french suits her refined and subtle singing. If you are feeling a little francophile, travelling to France or simply lining up a coq au vin, Stacey will provide the perfect atmosphere.
on 10 August 2013
A fun relaxing album. I don't speak much French but love the sound. Perfect for a relaxing evening. This is currently one of my favourite albums.
on 19 April 2016
Fantastic cd
on 25 March 2013
Jump in the bath on a dark winter night and relax to the sultry sound of Stacey Kent. Music to unwind too and let your dreams begin.
on 3 December 2013
Again an order placed for my brother, I have not heard any bad reports so I am sure that it is enjoyable.