Format: DVD|Change

on 19 July 2011
"Return To Rainspell Island" is based on the popular Rainbow Magic book series. Specifically it is set after book 7 of the series (Heather the Violet Fairy). The plot has best friends Rachel and Kirsty going back to Rainspell Island where they first met in the books. There they are once again called on to save Fairyland from Jack Frost who is intent on conquering it with an army of snowmen.

This is a highly enjoyable movie for both fans of the books and people who just enjoy light-hearted fantasy. Rachel and Kirsty are likeable and engaging characters and the movie's overall tone is sweet and uplifting without ever feeling overly saccharine or sickly. The anime-style animation is excellent and suits the characters perfectly. The voice acting is also very good.

Some fans may dislike the fact that the movie has some strife between Rachel and Kirsty (as opposed to the books where they never argue). While I respect this view, personally I don't see any problem. The tension between the girls never amounts to much, they never have any major falling-out, and is resolved well before the end. Plus, isn't it a good lesson for children to know that friends can have disagreements and still remain friends?

In short, I loved it and I very much hope that there will be more Rainbow Magic movies.
on 14 August 2010
My 7 year old has been a fan of the Rainbow Magic series of books since she was 4, so when we saw they had made a movie she was very excited. She was however a little let down, as most people are when their favourite books are adapted for the screen. I found that the anime style animation was a bit in congruent with the "Britishness" of the books and characters and didn't seem to fit. Something more like the older Angelina Ballerina animations may have suited these stories more.
on 8 April 2011
I ordered this DVD for my 4 year old granddaughter who has loved the first 49 books. The DVD was nothing like the delightful stories which tell of the stress free friendship and fantasy world of two little girls. The books are written to a formula but for young children they are magic. The fairy world of the "goodies" always triumphs and the goblin "baddies" are easily defeated by the girls and the fairies. In this story (by a different author) the spirit of the original stories is completely lost. Rachel and Kirsty are quarreling with each other much of the time whereas, in the books, they have a totally harmonious relationship - unrealistic maybe but highly acceptable to youngsters. The focus is the unpleasant bullying behaviour of the other girls in the peer group. (The peer group in general does not feature in the original stories). The DVD Jack Frost character and the goblins are very frightening especially with all the sound effects. I was glad that I took the precaution of watching it myself first and I certainly won't be showing it to the children.
on 7 November 2011
My daughter has (nearly) all the 'Rainbow Magic' books and she loves them. This was on Sky a few months back, and I recorded it, and she watched it a lot. Couldn't believe it when I saw it was available on DVD. I ordered it straightaway, and she absolutely loves it. The 2 girls' voices (Rachel & Kirsty) are a bit annoying after a while though! One of my best buys. Would recommend for any little 'Rainbow Magic' fans!
on 23 December 2012
My two 4 year olds and my 7 year old absolutely love this DVD. My 7 year old has long adored the books and this was a great way for her to share her enthusiasm for the stories with her sisters who unfortunately do not share her love for books and reading. They often role play as characters from the stories and regale us with performances of the very catchy songs. This is easily the most-played DVD in our house despite the multitude of Disney DVDs we've shelled out a small fortune on!!
on 23 October 2010
My four year old sat and watched this and both enjoyed it. I think it was a really good idea to have japanese animation which is really well done. Another plus for me was that the characters all had English accents as opposed to American. Overall, something that could have been been an overdose of cuteness is actually pretty good.
on 4 August 2010
My daughter is crazy about rainbow fairies and loves this video. Both of my girls, ages 6 and 3 act each scene out as it plays :)
on 7 September 2010
My daughter loves this dvd and it has survived at least a hundred viewings despite my best efforts to break or lose it! Arrived very quickly and with no problems.
on 14 February 2014
My little one loves this - expect that EVERY SINGLE TIME we play it, you have to sit through 3 minutes of advertising rubbish at the start with the fast forward and menu options all disabled before you can start the film.

If I buy a DVD, I don't expect to pay for the adverts as well !
on 2 June 2013
bought this for my daughter birthday party cinema at home!!! For any rainbow magic fan it is a MUST. It has been watched over and over and over. Thank goodness it is disc and not video tape as it would be being replaced!!!