This HDD is good quality and great value! I bought it to upgrade a new PlayStation 3 Slim 12gb console. You also need the "Sony PlayStation 3 Replacement Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Mounting Bracket", also available from Amazon. The installation process was very quick and easy. The Hard Drive was installed and formatted within 30 minutes! Fitting it does not affect the warranty on the PS3. If you want to upgrade, go for it, it is so easy!
on 17 April 2012
I purchased this drive as a replacement for a failing drive in my Toshiba laptop. Needless to say the new drive fitted perfectly but then I found that my Backup/Restore software would not recognise it. To cut a long story short I managed to initialise/format the drive on a second laptop but my backup/restore software would still not recognise the new drive. I tried a clean install which took absolutely hours to complete only to find that the system ran so slowly as to be unuseable. Further research revealed that this drive (model WD3200BPVT) uses advanced formatting and the Western Digital website carries a set of utilities which can be downloaded to adjust the formatting to make it compatible with older systems/PCs. Unfortunately the utilities are provided by Acronis and I just happen to be using a copy of True Image Home 10. The downloaded utility completely trashed my existing installation of Acronis and still would not recognise the new drive properly. Eventually I returned the new drive for a refund and purchased the non-advanced version (model WD3200BEVT. This fitted perfectly and I restored my system in less than two hours. The moral of this tale is to be very wary of the new advanced formatting on hard drives unless you are certain that they will be compatible with your system.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 February 2013
I haven't posted this review straight away, I wanted a couple of month of use before I did. I bought this for my new 12GB Super Slim PS3. Installation was easy, it's all fairly automatic when you install it, it detects and formats the drive. It's a 320GB drive but it was actually less and the final storage space after formatting is 298MB. Then I had to install various updates. Still, after having a 60GB hard drive in my original fat PS3 which died of the YLOD, it's nice to have plenty of space for games, music etc. I almost went for a 500GB but it was overkill for me. In use I've had no problems at all while playing games or anything else. No speed issues, pausing or anything else. I bought the official mounting bracket too which fit perfectly. I'm looking for something negative to say about it but it's a hard drive that does what it's supposed to so I can't say anything bad about it. Works perfectly.

Update (15th Aug 2013). Just now and then my games crash while playing and I have no option but to unplug the PS3 and restart. I don't know if the issue is with the drive or the PS3, both bought at the same time but it only happens now and then (at the time of writing).
on 6 May 2013
I bought this to instantly upgrade a new Playstation 3 Slim Line 12GB.

The base model of the PS3 has no hard drive, but installing one is very easy and saves money. Compare the prices of the base model with one with a HDD already fitted and you will find that buying a HDD and caddy to fit yourself works out cheaper.

You need to buy a caddy (hard drive holder) to go with it. Get the official Sony one.

Look on Youtube for a demo of how to fit the hard drive - worth doing just to see how to get the end cover off the PS3 as no screws are visible. It really is just a matter of putting the HDD into the caddy, securing with the four screws provided, then slide the caddy into the slot in the PS3. Secure with the little blue screw provided, pop the cover back on and you are good to go.

Note that the PS3 will want to copy the information from its solid state memory onto the HDD - say yes to that. Once you have done it there is no going back as the data is not just transferred - it is erased. In other words, the HDD becomes essential. You can't remove it or the PS3 won't work.

I have had several WD drives over the years and they are a quality brand. This one is very good value for money and big enough to store a load of games, videos, etc. If you need more space, go for the 500GB, which costs very little more.
on 31 August 2013
I brought this to upgrade my ps3 (fat original) i have had no problems with it it works great & know have lost of space to download the ps+ games. Just be aware that due to some sort of different way the ps3 & harddrive manufactures measure drives it will only show about 298GB once in ps3.
on 27 December 2015
Good sized drive which replaced stock PlayStation 3 drive to extend storage for kids.

I used a number of YouTube videos for the install but probably easier enough for the more techy minded.
on 5 November 2011
I bought this for my brother's birthday as his PS3 40gb hard drive was nearly full. I can confirm this hard drive is indeed compatible with the PS3 and is really easy to switch over (see youtube for helpful videos).

A couple years ago I also bought a 320gb western digital hard drive for my own PS3. My own hard drive was the model no WD3200BEVT compared to this one which is model no WD3200BPVT. I think this WD3200BPVT may be the successor to model WD3200BEVT. Anyway, both models seem to work perfectly as PS3 hard drives.

The only slight down side relates to the price. I bought mine for £34.99 (including postage) at the start of October 2011 which I think is superb value, but the price does seem to have risen fairly drastically as at the time of writing this review.
on 2 January 2013
Bought this item to expand my PS3 storage capacity having been bought the 12GB Play Station 3 super slim for christmas. Ordered this along with the PS3 Hard Drive Caddy from Amazon.

Item arrived eventually after some issues with City Sprint courier. Items were very well packaged. Small box featured the hard drive suspended in box to prevent it sliding around and being damaged and sealed in anti-static bag.

Drive fitted perfectly in the PS3 caddy and easy to attach with screws in correct place. Worked perfectly first time. No noise, no issues or clicking. This is a perfectly sized, and very affordable, hard drive for the occasionally gamer as it will allow storage of loads of games and add-ons or updates.

Highly recommended.
on 12 September 2013
Bought this to upgrade my old style 'phat' 40gb PS3. Installation was easy as pie and took 5 mins.

Down side? delivery was quite slow and the packaging was a padded envelope - not good enough tbh. Hope it had no knocks during the transit system, lets see if it lasts the test of time!
on 28 June 2013
No problems so far - I bought with mounting bracket to fit into PS3 22GB slim. Easy install (5 minutes), and no problems with the drive so far. Time will tell how it pans out, but seems like an excellent product so far.