Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 April 2010
I tend to buy a lot of compilations like this on CD as these days trying to get to record fairs and hunting for original vinyl is both time and cost consuming. So this CD will appeal to those like me who love the sound but can only afford the CD versions.

To start with I am no expert in Northern Soul, so I apologise if you are an expert, for me, it was the tracks i know that made me buy the CD, tracks like Sliced Totmatoes by the Just Brothers (must be on nearly every NS compilation going), a fast paced dancer, Willie Mitchells - The Champion, another great dancer, The Guys From UNCLE, Young Holt Unlimited and Bill Blacks Combo - Little Queenie, all tracks known to me and the majority of people. It is the new tracks to me that make this CD an interesting buy.

The Checkerboard Squares start the CD off with a feel good tune, the Arthur Wright backing tracks, Hugo Montenegros version of Sherry, THe French Fries and so on, all of the tracks flow, in a couple of instances for me it sounded as though the engineer had forgotten to put up the vocal fader (Lay This Burden Down , Before Its too Late and Make Me yours by Arthur Wright) but that is probably the appeal. The San Remo Golden Strings and Festival time is another new and great tune for me.

In whole the album is an added assett to my collection, certainly a CD I would not normally buy, although I do own Northern Soul vinyl and CDs, this CD mixes uptempo with bouncy with joyful Soul tunes.

As usual the booklet is first class from Kent with notes from Tony Rounce.

So all my collection needs now is a another Instrumental CD covering, all of the MOD(not covered in the MOD Jazz series) instrumentals on one CD, Berts Apple Crumble, The Champ, The Cat, You Cant Sit down, Rinky Dink, Bad Bad Whiskey etc etc - so come on ACE what about it!!!
on 8 April 2011
Being a bit of an old Northern collector I at first thought 'what about this, what about that?' but then settled into the selection and an appreciation of the huge range of musical offerings it was attempting to represent.The Northern instrumental can be equally a horrible and a beautiful concept. But some of the true beauties are in this collection, like Jackie Day and Jimmy Conwell, and can it ever get better than that Young-Holt sun-ripened piece of orchestral happiness 'California Montage'?
on 5 April 2012
some hard to find clasics on here and some not so well known tracks but all supurb
Order it now from amazon while its avalable
on 10 January 2015
As described its a cd full of instrumentals of northern soul music ! dont get confused and buy thinking you are getting an album of northern soul songs !!
on 17 April 2015
Can't give 5 stars as I struggle with labelling instrumentals as Northern Soul but these tracks do it for me
on 20 November 2015
Great cd. Reliving my youth this music brings back many happy memories.
on 29 July 2013
Better than I expected,a couple of real gems here. Good quality of recording and nice to have a collection of instrumentals on one cd. Now need a compilation of the best Motown instrumentals only.
on 5 January 2015