Customer reviews

Package Quantity: 1|Style: Original Packaging|Change

on 26 October 2015
After three months of pretty unremarkable use, the bucket part of this caddy has somehow split apart. It means the lid no longer fits, and food is starting to escape.

Amazon's return window has closed so I'm stuck with this dud. Poor.
review image
on 21 February 2012
I've made repeated attempts to compost our organic kitchen waste. They generally start well but peter out after a month or two.

The reason for previous attempts stalling were as follows:
#1 - Couldn't be bothered to take the scraps all the way to the composter in the garden, negotiating in the rain and dark across lawn mined with stealth dog poo.
#2 - Got a pottery 'counter top caddy' from Lakeland. It got filled very quickly, made smells despite the filter and, after about a month, the lid got dropped and smashed.
#3 - Got a plastic caddy with filter. This worked the longest of all attempts but, although there was a smell filter, smells seemed to sneak around the edge of the lid and it failed the WAF (wife acceptance factor) because it didn't look good in the kitchen.

So.. ..on the the next attempt.

I've bought some Bokashi bins - this means the kitchen scraps go into a fermenter near the back door and only when fermented are they either buried to feed the plants or added to the garden compost.

Even then, taking out scraps after preparing every meal is a bit of a chore so I have bought this Stainless Steel compost bin.

It's well constructed, attractive enough to be accepted by the missus, and when closed it has a very tight seal that should minimise odours. The idea is that scraps will go in after every meal - maybe even with some bokashi bran to start the fermentation process - and then transferred to the bokashi bins every two to three days.

Fingers crossed that we'll stick at it this time.
on 13 February 2011
We bought this to solve the problem of having to go out to the garden compost heap with every scrap we produced in the kitchen. Keeping it in a small plastic bin seperate from our kitchen waste bin worked for a while but did start to make the kitchen smell long before it was full! Now we dont have any smells, the bin being metal means we can compress the waste really tightly without breaking it, and it looks very elegant on our kitchen worktop. Excellent choice for us.
on 15 June 2011
I was looking for a good quality compost bin that wouldn't smell and wouldn't take up too much room in my relatively small kitchen. This compost bin has proven to be a good investment already as I'm only having to go out to empty it every now and then (as opposed to everyday with my last one). The bin is quite compact and could be used on a countertop if required - it does look ok. However, I prefer to keep it on the floor beside the other bins and it sits there quite unobtrusively. The handle is sturdy so the bin can be lifted without any trouble. The carbon filter in the lid is definitely preventing odours from escaping (you'll discover how much when you take the lid off) and the filters themselves are easily replaced.

I have chosen to use the bin without a liner bag because I feel that using a bag defeats the purpose of trying to recycle more. I have rinsed the bin out with water after emptying and noticed no ill effects of doing this.

All in all, this was definitely worth the money.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2014
Salford, the area of Manchester where we live, could not always be described as the most salubrious area to reside. However, one area in which it does excel is that of recycling and waste collection. At Xmas I always do my best to pin small gratuities to each of our four wheelie bins as a token of my thanks. Some 6 months ago – (or more!) food waste collection was added to the repertoire, and this, for a time has wrong footed us; with a large plastic receptacle in the kitchen, full of peelings and less pleasant offerings, which my wife would regularly exhort, should be taken out, for this was a man’s job.

Enter this amazing stainless-steel recycling bin, complete with little vent holes in the top of a secure lid and housing a carbon filter. This, when containing the bio-degradable, 6litre, little green bags, is wonderful. It receives and retains as much unpleasant food waste as one cares to aim in its direction; a quick fish out, flick, like a bag of sweets, in order to tie the top and drop it in the ‘pink’ recycle bin which holds food and garden waste and off it goes each and every week.

The bin looks in no way out of place in the kitchen, and its cheery presence has encouraged us to recycle every morsel of unwanted food. My only worry now, are the teeth marks in the top of the pink bin, as I wonder if I am going to go out there one day and find a fox in there!
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2010
Glad I bought this one - looks ok, very roomy, very easy to clean - and no handle falling off which happens with the ceramic compost crocks! My old one dropped off its handle and smashed. Stainless steel is far better.
on 12 February 2012
I have had this bin for a year now and am more than pleased with it.

In January 2012 I needed to buy more filters and duly followed Amazon's guidance and bought the Eddington's filters. They are far too small for this bin and thus a waste of money!

Fortunately Lakeland Ltd sell large filters - five per packet at a better price - which fit perfectly.
on 23 July 2017
I am very pleased with this compost bin which I bought to replace a cracked ceramic compost pot. It is really quite large, looks smart in the kitchen and the filter seems to prevent any unwanted smells escaping - although I do empty it each day.
on 12 November 2012
We got this pail to replace the plastic one you get from the council - we were storing it in the cupboard under the sink and some mice had got in, attracted by the smell no doubt. This pail is attractive enough to sit on the work top and there is no smell from it at all. It came up lovely and clean when I put it through the dishwasher which is a great bonus too. The only reason I've given it 4 instead of 5 stars is that the lid has become a bit stiff to get on and off which is frustrating when you have a baby and toddler and lots of food waste to chuck several times a day!!
on 13 April 2017
I love this compost bin. I was after something that (1) did not smell and (2) looked good in my kitchen and (3) was big enough to handle food waste of a family of 7 (who cook a lot). It ticks every box. It is also easy to clean.