TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 November 2011
To rate this effectively, we need a dual star system, i.e. one for the stories which would, of course, be awarded five stars and one for the Kindle format, which I would give three stars. The idea of a downloadable complete works is excellent (in fact, when I first saw it, I was stunned into disbelief!) but, like any of these massive compilations, an effective way to navigate them is critical. Unlike a book in which a quick flick back to the contents will help, the Kindle format is not so easy and the lack of page numbers and chapters does not help although the percentage marker is useful. I have the original Kindle, so bear that in mind. I have little doubt that the newer model will have taken observations like this into account.

Reading one book from "cover to cover" is quite straightforward but a much more dynamic and interactive process is required for speedy movement through the collection, e.g. an effective active table of contents.

A great idea in concept but there is some way to go before it is effective in reality. To be fair, it was an early attempt at such a challenging and wonderful facility on a machine which has now improved and, no doubt, will continue to improve and be refined, especially now with the i (and other) Pad formats in competition. However, Kindle needs to do a little more than take over the Eformat files from publishers and I am sure it will. A good idea but ...

PS Computer users can soon become intolerant and fail to see what is actually in their grasp; the faster they work, the faster we want them to work. This complete works was free so beggars should not make too much fuss unless they are trying to improve future variants of what was a ground-breaking concept. All of Tolstoy, Austen, Dickens, Shakespeare ... On a tiny little machine! All at once! Free! Who are you trying to kid!
on 11 August 2014
I first read this book amongst many similar classics of the 19th Century when studying literature as many others did, and found Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters as easily the most entertaining.
Being exceptionally well written in a style irresistible to the portrayal of her different and very
varied characters, which she introduces with such perfect intimacy, it would be difficult not to be as drawn in and emotionally involved with each, as she intended, and succeeded.
Having enjoyed Mansfield Park as a thoroughly satisfying yarn , and creatly superior to modern day “Chick Lit“, and also having renewed my acquaintance recently of all her other major works, I feel myself better qualified to add my twopence worth of gushing praise.
The main character is Fanny with whom I can least relate and who remains steadfastly as different in her manner and personality as she could be from the usual heroine though being often the prototype of most of her golden girls who want for little yet gain all. Whereas the bright antiheros are always bright beautiful younglings on the make who fall by the wayside.
The moral seems to be ,:...Keep your mouth shut, dont put yourself about, stay calm and phlegmatic, keep your head down, let your ears do the talking, pretend you dont know even when you do, take being helpful as an obsession.......thus will bring all your heart's desire.
Do I approve? Nah.....I prefer the bright young things know how to have a good time. Poor Fanny Price might have got her knight in shining armour , in the end but her shy retiring ways did nothing to help all the partying she wilfully missed out on and all the natural spirit and daring of healthy youth totally passed her by, only to marry and live a sedate and middleaged style of life, well before her time. And marry also without changing anything of her habits or environment.
on 15 July 2013
I have known and loved Jane Austen's major novels since my teens ─ charming romances filtered through sharply witty observation of character and situation. But this transcription has far too many misprints and mistakes to be suitable for anyone who does not already know the originals well. That said, it has the advantage of including minor works that most readers would otherwise not come across, particularly the wicked Lady Susan.
on 9 December 2012
I love the stories done in film, thought I would read the books. I will finish the book but I am finding it a bit heavy going as in original period language and a couple of words used in the book I tried looking up in the kindle dictionary only to be disapointed, shame.
on 9 February 2016
Great seller will use again loved item
on 31 May 2012
This has all the classics you would expect froma Jane Austen collection and more.
The books are heavy going as they are written in a style rarely used these days. The story lines almost all revolve around young women looking for husbands and the social ettiquette expected of the early 19th century. I only glanced at the juvenillia and found it terribly boring.
I can imagine it might be useful to someone studying Jane Austen's work at university or college.