Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 October 2002
St Etienne are the epitemy of inoffensive, melancholy and beatiful. I find myself smiling to their music, but they also can make you cry. I think you either love or loathe Sarah Cracknells voice and accordingly this has a big bearing on your opinion of their music. I happen to love it.
Finisterre has two weak tracks. B92 and The Way We Live Now. Every one of their previous albums has the odd duffer though. Tiger Bay being the only exception. The rest of the album is a mix of electro upbeat pop and wispy vocal stuff. The best tracks are the more upbeat ones including Action, Amateur, Soft Like Me and, in my opinion Shower Scene and New Thing are the two best tracks.These two might just get you off your seat for a jig around the room !
This isnt an album with St Etienne trying a new direction. It's a mixture of what they do best. Heart warming, thought provoking, bring a smile to your face music.
Do your self a favour. Ditch the umpteen manufactured, sound alike, R & B, how much swearing can I get into one album type of music and re-educate your music brain. Take a trip to St Etienne.
Welcome back Sarah, Bob and Pete.
on 1 October 2002
The Saint Etienne album I've been waiting for.
Foxbase Alpha enchanted.
So tough impressed, but wasn't quite as coated with magical pop stardust.
Tiger Bay seemed effortless, yet seemed to find the band on a higher plane.
Good Humor was nice(not very descriptive I know, but as far as I'm willing to go), where they seemed to think they were The Cardigans(The Cardigans meanwhile seemed to think they were Garbage, but that's another story)
The sound of water very nearly hit a home run, but as like other pop favourites Pet Shop Boys, Saint Etienne always seem to work better with a little extra input and make magnificent singles & remixes, ie Tell me why, He's on the phone & Heart failed in the back of a taxi.
This album seems to take the main ingredients from Foxbase Alpha and add that little something extra, that their singles possess.
If they carry on like this, Nothing can stop them now!
on 28 October 2010
When I first this got thi cd, it brought me back to the days of "So Tough." Very similar formula and in a good way!

This is well worth having, paricularly for the great second disc, which has lots of qaulity tracks and in my opnion almost comes across as a mini ablum.

Much better than the second discs of Foxbase Alpha and So Tough, whereas those ones you'd likely listen to once or twice.

This one is a keeper.
on 14 December 2002
Best St.Etienne album: Finisterre or Tiger Bay? Tough one as this album features some of the band's best and most instantly listenable tracks for years, and Tiger Bay has been my favourite album for ages. 'Shower scene' and 'New thing' stand out by miles, although the opener 'Action', the second tune 'Amateur' and the third (instrumental) 'Language lab', state their intentions up front for this pop-orientated, synth-driven collection of gold nuggets.
Whilst I found the film samples between tracks on So Tough interesting and original, I really think St.Etienne have done it to death now, and I especially cringe everytime I hear the 'Have you ever been to a Harvester before?' intro. There's no need.
on 15 October 2010
For fans of Saint Etienne there is no doubt this is a must have. The bonus disc is packed with quality and as is the norm with these deluxe editions the packaging is sublime.

For casual music fans looking to find a new band then perhaps this is the group you should try? There is little to disappoint with Saint Etienne. Catchy tunes that leave you wanting to be in a cafe somewhere in Soho or Paris whilst you survey the national papers or catch up on that book you have been meaning to finish for some time.

I have to admit that I prefer this album on the headphones. You get a full feel for the texture and density of the recording. Fantastic value for money and a good starting point for those not familiar with Saint Etienne.
on 23 May 2010
I am a nurse working in an Old Peoples Home and they all Boogie Down to it.

It really gets them Going!!!!!=)

Thanks a lot Justin for making a whole lot of OLD PEOPLE very HAPPY????????
on 4 June 2010
My daughter loves it and has her age is 12 which is the target audience for this "music" nothing else needs to be said
on 26 September 2010
Bought this for my 14yr old daughter. Newest release ... Justin cant do any wrong, she loves it, Im sick of hearing it hehe. For teenage girls its a must!!
on 21 January 2013
this was a real good buy for my grandaughter she loves JB anyway but even so she really did enjoy this pressie and i got help with my shoppin haha
on 30 January 2013
At times quite a dark album, although to these ears this remains one of their finest releases. Along with So Tough this is a must for any casual or more refined Saint Etienne fan. Lyrically cutting and going down a musical path slightly less poppy than usual, it is all the better for it...