Customer reviews

Barbed Wire Blues
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 July 2017
saw wilko live and have been a fan ever since, if you like r&b then you will probably like this.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 September 2012
This is a mixed album for sure, but it is worth the price of admission for me for the title track alone.
In fact, just two seconds of the title track.
In fact just one harmonic pull from Norm 2:35 - 2:37 in

Even if you don't Wilko's voice, or find him a little bit of a one trick pony guitar wise, buy this just for Norms utterly enchanting bass playing. Get into his playing on this, dial into it, and there is a bass masterclass in there of jaw dropping intricacy, subtlety, flair and invention that surely has to rank Norman as the brightest, if not at least one of the brightest, stars in the bass firmament.

Wilko's playing on this album shows what an actual first class player he is!. I'd place him as an equal with the likes of the great Danny Gatton. Just as with Danny, his effortless style belies the amount of skill behind, and just as with Danny, Rory, Mick et al, there is an awesome intellect behind those eyes too. Different styles, same fire.

Quite why Wilko + Norm are not showered with the praise and plaudits they deserve outside our cadre of fans is a question for others to contemplate as I enjoy the ferocious, feral grooves, or pay slack jawed attention to what I've just heard, knowing I will never be able to write and play to their level. I'm happy these people recorded this for me to enjoy. Such a small price for so many years of happiness two of my musical heroes. It makes me happy to be able to listen to The Blockheads, Dr.Feelgood, Wilko and know these people have lived, are alive, have made, are making cracking good music, and people like me very happy.
11 Comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 July 2003
This album seems to be almost impossible to find now, but if you are a Wilko fan or just want to hear what the fuss is about,this is the best studio album by Wilko and the boys. As a live act, this band is simply dynamite,and this album is the closet to capturing the "live" energy that the band have. If you can get a copy, and you are a Wilko or Dr.Feelgood fan, BUY IT, you won't be disappointed. The songs and band performance are top quality and Norman Watt-Roy IS the BEST bassist in the world. Listen to this and decide for yourself!
on 26 April 2014
Another album I should have bought years ago.
Anything by Wilko is a classic.
Crisp Sound as Wilko likes to record.
on 11 August 2014
Awesome, brilliant, I knew of Wilko from Dr. Feelgood and of course his cancer treatment. Its an amazing album. I bought it as one of the comments was that this was one of the best albums made by Wilko in the studio so I thought that was good enough for me.
on 25 December 2014
First saw Wilko Johnson play with Doctor Feelgood at Cambridge Corn Exchange back in the 70's. I my mind Wilko Johnson can do no wrong, first class album.
on 4 July 2014
wilko and the band doin what thay do best title track and turned 21 and living in the heart of love infact just buy it its fantastic.
on 4 July 2014
Bought as I was waiting for 'Going back home' and so glad I did, an earlier rawer version of the legend Wilko :)
on 18 September 2014
Its OK but much prefer Roger Daltry album
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 February 2013
Had to wait several weeks for the cd to arrive, however it was worth the wait. Wilco is as fabulous as ever on this cd