on 12 October 2011
Really pleased with these scales and I have enjoyed seeing what a change in eating habits and exercise can do for the body. Provides a very comprehensive overview of weight and associated measurements. I would've given 5 stars except the software is not sold with the scales. You can download a 30 day trail software program from the Tanita website, then they request a further £80 of your hard-earned cash for the real program. Given the price of the scales I think this is a total rip off; however, I'll have to buy the software to justify paying for the scales! Catch 22!!!
on 4 March 2013
love the technology. Only problem is gettin consistant readings. I use it with my garmin edge 810 to upload to garmin connect etc
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 July 2013
Purchased this as I wanted more data for weight, body mass etc., and found that this was compatible with my Garmin 310xt - good job as there is no readable display with this unit so it is useless on its own. The separate display unit is nearly a hundred pounds!

In use I found it hard to setup. Had to call support for advice but after some months here are some tips:

1, reset your garmin to 00:00:00 after exercise before using the Tanita.
2, press power a couple of times to wake up the Tanita
3, I tend to put a foot lightly on the Tanita to help it wake up!
4, wait for the green light indicating pairing then step on!

For Mac users I recommend software called rubiTrack which will import the Garmin and Tanita data.
on 13 April 2011
I bought a Garmin Edge 800 bikecomputer not so long ago which features a weight scale button. I investigated and found out about Tanita and decided to buy the Comfort set BC-1000, which includes scales and D-1000 table display.It was a doddle to set up and easy to use with the Edge 800, just press button, wait for the green light blinking and off it goes and measures up to nine body compositions, which you then can load up to Garmin Connect. The table display is very handy if another family member wants to weigh him/herself and /or have body composition readings as well. The whole system works extremely well, the scales are not flimsy but quite substantial and measurements are absolutely accurate.
On the whole I can recommend the system despite it being quite expensive.
on 15 May 2014
Entirely incomprehensible

It looks great, although part of the frustration could be from the fact there is no display or buttons to press

The system of transferring data from the device to computer was clunky and impossible to use one scales in a household with two garmins... the computers constantly got confused with what device was connected to the scales

Lastly the output was pure nonsense .. it continually said that I and my partner had body fat less than 5%, which was ridiculous firstly and made any subsequent tracking invalid.

We spent hours trying work out how to make it produce more sensible results without success, it simply shouldn't be that difficult
on 18 December 2011
It is a great tool for any person who wants to have his body under control. It has nine measurements and in fact you can listen to what your body says. Unfortunately there are many times where the tanita crashes and needs to remove the batteries and install them again after a while. It is something like reboot.
on 6 August 2012
A year ago, nerve and lower back problems returned which prevented me from working out as much as before. As such, after a year of a near sedentary lifestyle I watched my fat pockets grow and knew that my weight was up. I recently started on the Vemma Bode weight loss program and wanted something to help me get metrics for my progress. Since I had the Garmin Edge 800 and knew that I was able to start training, but less intensely again, I went for a scale that could provide me with solid metrics.

Despite the first weigh-in being, yup I'm fat and heavy again, having reliable numbers for weight, fat, bone & muscle mass, etc. help me better understand which parts of my diets and exercise are working.

If you just want to know your weight and body fat without tracking, then buy a cheaper unit. However, if you want metrics for tracking, this unit is a great one to have.

Do note that you need to have or purchase a display or ANT+ device to use the scale. That's why I only give 4 stars. $ 250 for a piece of tech without a few dollar LCD is dumb. However, outside of no display, the scale is solid and consistently works.

Speaking of consistency, for the metrics to be reliable, you need to be consistent about when you measure yourself. Pick early morning or just before bed, not after exercising. Sure those post exercise numbers are awesome looking, but reality is morning is probably more truthful.

Good luck with your training, Ciao!
on 21 February 2011
I have only just got these scales so can't provide an in depth review however I will point out a couple of useful things. I bought these on the basis of the dcrainmaker review which is exhaustive and highly recommended if you are considering buying these. I am using them with a garmin edge 800 - it works seamlessly with the scales (Although you do have to connect the edge with USB) - to view all 9 fields you must upload them to garmin connect.

In the UK you don't get the ANT+ wireless stick or the Tanita healthy edge software so bear this in mind - you MUST have a compatible garmin device.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 November 2012
This is one of the most frustrating products I have ever bought. First the instructions on the CD are useless. Sometimes that is the case even with a good product. When it did blink into life it took literally hours to pair properly with my Garmin 900XT. Pairing fell in and out even at 7 feet or less. Then when it did pair the reading was laughably out (I weighed a third of what I should have). So redid weight on various surfaces with and without soft carpets etc as instructed ...nowhere near correct readings. Then it failed to pair again, then it locked up my Garmin watch and then I lost the will.... Back to good old fashioned scales that will not tell me body composition but at least don't give me blood pressure problems.
on 5 February 2013
Don't buy this unless you already have a compatible Garmin product. It's useless on its own.

I do have one, so will my husband (he has a Garmin but it's not compatible). It was simple to set up and seems to be reasonably accurate - my weight and body fat are about the same as on our other scale. It shows my bone mass as only 2.4kg, and as I don't have osteoporosis, I'm going to assume that's just based on some weird algorithm and ignore it.

So, it's not a fantastic scale, BUT the one big advantage is the connectivity with a Garmin product. You can collect all your weight data along with your activities in your Garmin connect account and see how your body is changing as you exercise. This is pretty cool.

Summary: if you have one of the compatible Garmin products and you're prepared to take some of the measurements with a pinch of salt (although the important ones - weight and body fat seem to be fine) then this is a good product. If not all of those boxes are ticked, buy something else.

See one answered question