on 14 April 2010
Thought provoking in a good way! I bought this book after reading about it on the internet and also basing my decision on a little known film called "To End All Wars" which is based on the real life experiences of another Scot called Ernest Gordon, Ernest was also a POW working on the death railway, the film conveyed the horror of his experiences but it didn't prepare me for the horrors described in this book.

The book starts off with Alistair describing his life before the war and then his experiences and the events leading up to his capture. We've all heard stories about how the Japanese dealt with prisoners but to have this first hand account made it even more truly horrific, instead of the cliche of forgiveness Alistair Urquhart has no forgiveness and it's only by reading this book you'll understand why.

The book is rather upsetting, not just for the torture, but the solitude, the pain of working in blistering heat on nothing more than a maggot infested rice ball and meagre water rations, losing five stone in weight and having tropical ulcers that would eat down to the bone whilst still being lashed and beaten into working on a railway, then being boarded onto a transport ship with no red cross on it, they were saved for the Japanese munition ships!

This book proves that the Japanese government has a lot to answer for and many apologies to make but the biggest surprise was they way our own government dealt with returning pow's, it turns out we have a lot to answer to as well.

As a footnote, I've been off work for the last two days on the sick and read this entire book yesterday, I'm still ill but have come into work today because Alistair Urquhart made me realise that if he can go through all he did for over 750 days then I can definitly make it into work with a slight stomach bug!!
on 10 April 2015
This was the first book I've read on this subject and some of the the details were shocking and tough to read. Its a remarkable story of mans will to survive and the horrors he went through. Just when you think things can't get any worse they do and more still after that. Urquhart also gives some insight into pre war life in Sctoland and colonail Singapore. Its good to know that the author is still alive in his 90s given what he went through this is remarkable.
on 13 March 2017
One of the most moving books I have ever read.The misery of life as a Japanese POW was terrible and how Alistair Urquhart got the mental and physical strength to survive is a wonder. The man is a true hero. Anyone who thinks they have ahard life should read this book and then realise how lucky they are.
on 16 June 2017
What an amazing tale of fortitude and bravery in the face of such evil. Incredible, modest man, this should be required reading for any snowflake millennial bleating about how hard their life is.
on 13 February 2017
Absolutely brilliant, brought a tear to my eye.
on 29 March 2017
One of the best books I've read recently. Highly recommended for anyone interested in survival / adventure / history / military / war. Very well written, couldn't put it down - missed many a tube stop!
on 14 March 2015
I cried like a baby reading this book. My generation know very little of the atrocities the Japanese army inflicted on our soldiers and allies. This book should be part of our history curriculum in schools so that future generations can learn what these brave souls went through in the name of freedom. Mr urquhart is a true hero, we need to teach our children and future generations to follow his example on how to be decent human beings.
on 25 July 2017
One of the best books I've read this year. An amazing story and journey which is well told. I highly recommend this book.
on 24 April 2017
What a compelling read. Fantastic. I would like to meet this man. A truly fabulous account of an extraordinary experience during the war. My copy is battered from having read and re-read!
on 7 March 2017
Absolutely enthralling. Amazing story of suffering and the strength of spirit. So well told you feel as if you are with these guys. Very recommended.