on 29 June 2013
Nicholas Sparks seems to have carved a corner in the market for well written romance novels. This story has been made into a film starring Zach Efron & Taylor Schilling.

This story is about a former US Marine soldier (Logan) who is coming to terms with life after losing friends and colleagues while on active service. He finds a photograph of a woman on the sand while serving in Iraq. He endeavors to return the photograph to it's owner without success - none of the combined forces at the base know who it belongs to. Time goes by without the photograph being claimed so he decides to carry the photograph with him and it becomes his "lucky charm" keeping him safe while on duty.

After leaving the Marines the adjustment to civilian life proves difficult. Zach and his dog Zeus walk several hundred miles to track down the woman in the photograph and return it to her, and to explain the importance that it had in his life. The story unfolds when he eventually meets the woman, her son and grandmother at the dog kennels they run. Logan begins working at the dog kennels and discovers that the photograph belonged to her brother who was killed whilst serving in Iraq. The story unfolds as a romance develops with a few twists and turns along the way.

I would describe this book as ideal holiday reading. Plenty to keep you interested but not a heavy taxing read.
on 28 January 2016
I was curious to find out what the book was like , because I loved the film. Excellent book.
The book does hold alot of information that the Film did not portray, however on the whole the content was virtually the same. after all if the whole book was scripted into the film you would most probably be expecting a 3-4hr film , I do still think it is an excellent book , but near the end it did get a bit mangled and I needed to re-read a few pages to follow the story. I did do it in the wrong order though I should of read the book then watch the film but I did it the other way around.
If asked would I recommend this book to anyone, Yes I would recommend it to book lovers. *****5 stars
on 17 February 2015
The story of an ex marine searching for the girl in the faded photograph he has carried with him through the war.

Finally finding her, he is able to get a job at the kennels owned by her grandmother.

They find themselves falling in love, but he has his secret and she has her ex husband, a sheriff who still looks out for her.

A beautifully told story that hooks the reader from the start and builds up to an exciting climax.
on 29 April 2012
At first i was a little skeptical, This is not the type of book I read so it was out of my comfort zone not to mention after reading other reviews I was pretty unsure. Some say it's chapters are confusing , hard to get in to and the ending was rushed. £4.99 for a book I may not read?! hmmm the clincher came when my sister said we were going to see ( I was not asked rather told i was going) At 3.21am I bought the book and figured a few pages might help me fall into the sleep that was evading me. I set my kindle down at 8am this morning on chapter 27. Absolutely Hooked. I didn't want to put it down but the dogs selfishly wanted out and fed!

I returned to the last chapters and I must admit that I was growing a little sad at how quickly the black bar was moving along the bottom. I didn't want it to end that quickly Not because it had been rushed or even confusing. I found the book very simple to understand and far to easy to get engrossed in. I didn't want it to end as , dare I say it?, I loved the characters .....I loved Logan a bit more though :)

The book keeps the same pace throughout and I felt with how everything else had fallen into place in the time line the end came about at just the right time, though I would not minded another few chapters about the way Logans shirt stuck to his chest with sweat or the way he strips down while running before diving into the flooded river to save her [Beth's] son.*swoon*

The Characters are pretty easy to get attached to as I think we ( ladies) have all had that dodgey ex [Keith] that can border on the scary, I think we would all love a white knight on his steed sweep us of our feet, this time it just so happens that he's an ex war vet with a slightly troubled past and his steed takes the form of his loyal German shepard Zeus. Nana is a character in many ways but her straight talking but very confusing metaphors made her lovable from the offset. Ben is the kid we have all seen shying in a park, you know he's trying to keep everyone happy but he'd be happiest with a book or mental challenge. For me, Beth needed a little bit more depth as I didn't get an over all feeling for her but none the less she was still a valid strong character.

I'm not going to give away the story line, the others have done a good job of giving you the gist of it. all I can do is tell you not to judge the book by it's cover and even if it is out your normal reading material to still give the book a chance. It was compelling , endearing and inspiring to the closet hopeless romantic that i am. It's an easy light read that will have you laughing and crying and thinking that the kids or dogs can go without tea for just one more chapter..or six. Treat yourself and get swept away in the love story that is pitted against , bombs ,snipers,deadly accidents and vindictive ex's. I doubt you will regret it :)
on 6 May 2012
Well, another great book from Nicholas Sparks. You get what you expect from this great author - a love story that will have you weepy by the end.

Ill keep it short and sweet...this book is well worth the read (i finished it within 24 hours), although it pains me to say that the ending is a little predictable. none-the-less, as with all Sparks' books, i had to restrain myself from skimming the last 2 chapters as the tension had me gripped!

Its an easy read, very much a chick-flick book and has left me wanting to see the film to see how well it is portrayed.

definately reccomended for an easy, emotional, lovey type afternoon.
on 5 January 2016
This was such a beautiful book to read it was so wonderfully written and put together that I just loved it. The characters were brilliant and it does show that you can be lucky and it showed that Logan was suppose to travel and meet the women.
on 21 February 2013
When I started reading this book I just couldn't put it down! It's another amazing book from the very talented Nicholas Sparks and was therefore really pleased when they announced this was being made into a film (which is also fab!). I've read quite a few books by Nicholas Sparks now and would definitely recommend them to others and for less than £4 you really can't go wrong with this one! Loved it ♥
on 17 February 2014
I watched the movie afterwards, but it was rubbish. So whoever has seen the movie first has to read the book as well because there was so much more into the story that was never shown in the film.

It is a lovely love story. Very easy and simple reading. I loved Logan. No wonder why Elizabeth fell in love with him. His personality and protection over Elizabeth and her son. But most of all the fact that the book was written in all character's POV. You could see a bit of everybody's mind. The book starts off very well.

I really enjoyed reading this book.
on 6 November 2017
Very pleased with quality ....price ....prompt delivery ...excellent value
on 7 May 2017
Another beautiful book by Nicholas sparks. I couldnt recommend this book more. It's a bit different from the film but that's good