Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.78

on 21 January 2010
Excellent read,,all women especially should read this.
I recognise a couple of things which had happened to me and I had used my gift of fear to save myself so to speak.
Its true we dont use this gift enough,,so i recommend this book! You never know when it could help you.
on 4 November 2012
I'm only 3 chapters in and already it's made a difference to my perception. Absolutely amazing. The man knows his stuff very well and every word he writes, he shows his intentions to save people from not only others, but also themselves. Heartily recommended.
on 15 October 2015
One of the most worthwhile books you could ever read. The information contained within should be taught in every senior school and college, in particular the chapters on stalking and domestic violence. De Becker knows his stuff and writes with compassion and common sense. Do not hesitate to buy this book.
on 23 February 2012
This used to be arguably the number one book in it's field - times have moved on and newer ideas have surfaced which modify some of the precepts of this book - However if you are interested in the study of conflict or of victim or attacker behaviour this is still a very worthwhile read. I have always thought that the writing style was a bit heavy going so don't expect to get through the whole book in a single evening... [...]
on 1 April 1999
As cliched as this might sound, this is a must read book, even you don't particularly enjoy the self-type genre much. Gavin De Becker has written an excellent account of violence and what propels men into such hideous acts of madness. How to deal with angry (fired)employees, battering husbands, why 'no' is a word that muct be final.. De Becker deals with all these issues and more.
De Becker is a security expert, who has dealt with Presidents and media figures. His prescriptions for a violent world as pragmatic and applicable. Partly because he is an excellent communicator of concepts and partly because he does not lecture- he has, after all been on the receiving end of such behaviour. It is mainly directed to women - they are the biggest beneficiary of such acts - but it provides valuable insights for men too.
on 3 April 2011
An amazing book that helps you understand and recognise the various built in systems we have to protect ourselves from violent situations. It goes through how the body works and how we should learn to trust our instincts. For example that nagging feeling that for some reason, which we can't put out finger on, we don't like a guy we just met. Most dismiss it, but we may have picked up on something very small and suspicious that our unconscious mind noticed but our conscious mind didn't. The book does drag on a little at the end but I still highly recommend it.
on 17 August 2008
There has already been rave reviews about this book, and they are richly deserved. I would just like to add to that.

I teach conflict resolution on a daily basis to many differing people, i use DeBecker's work as the basis to many of my lessons. His work on survival signs is incredibly profound. I have lived many of the lessons he teaches.

This book may just save your life one day
on 11 April 2009
Thoroughly recommend this book to any woman who is (and who isn't?!) concerned about their personal safety. Amusing and informative, tips and guides for keeping yourself safe without living in fear. How to know when you are in danger, and what to do about it. And guys - great read for you too, both for yourselves, and the more you know, the more you can help your loved-ones keep safe.
on 6 September 2009
This is an excellent informative book that would save lives if women read it. There is enough variety between useful facts and related cases to keep your interest. As the author is American writing for American's you need to need to keep perspective, but that does not stop the fact that this is a must read for those who want to understand themselves and the people around them better and are against violence. All of my female friends will be receiving a copy for Christmas.
on 7 March 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is something I have dipped in and out of over the years. I have bought it and given it as presents to quite a few of my friends who have all loved it.