on 10 January 2018
Largely useless now that most modern TVs have built in apps for BBC iPlayer & YouTube and so on.
Also rendered redundant by the fact that most smartphones can playback on your smart TV.
on 15 June 2017
works well
on 7 November 2017
Works a treat
on 17 April 2012
This little gizmo opens up an extra internet world on your Sony TV from freebies to rental from Facebook to YouTube from classical to R&B. We have total Wireless Broadband at home and we have no problem with signals plus this baby will periodically update your TV & Blu Ray home cinema operating systems too.
on 30 August 2017
Worked for 1 year then u/s
on 21 August 2012
I got this after waiting quite a while after buying the tv. Very happy, like the choice of channels it gives you.
on 20 December 2010
I read the reviews, and was not put off by the larger than normal number of negative comments about signal strength. I trusted in Sony (they have served me well in the past). Surely it could not be that bad, I thought. It is.

I struggled for a few hours to get it working. I then took my new 40 inch Bravia into the room where the router is (I could not extend the router so had to move the TV). Bingo, it worked first time. 5 bar signal strength. My daughter re-watched the final of Strictly Come Dancing on BBC iplayer. I was impressed. (Not with strictly!).

I then returned the Bravia to the adjacent sitting room, some 20 feet away. Zero bar signal strength. I could not believe such a dramatic change in such a short distance. So I repeated this again a further three times. All with the same result.

I'm deeply disappointed that Sony has produced such a weak wireless adaptor. It seems, as others have said, there is a high risk this wireless adaptor will not work if it is in a different room to your router.

All the other wireless devices in the house run fine off the router. My son's PS3 even works in his loft room.

It seems from the reviews I have read, that you have a 50:50 chance of this working for you. You may be lucky. I was not. I shall be seeking a refund, and I've already ordered a 20m ethernet cable to run under the floor.

20m Professional Network Cable (Black) - Premium Quality (26 AWG & 100% Copper Wire) / CAT5e (enhanced) / RJ45 / Ethernet / Patch / LAN / Router / Modem / 10/100
77 Comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 January 2011
I tested my Sony TV, KDL40EX403U, using the wired internet connection first and no problems there.

When I tried this USB LAN adapter it picked up my Netgear DG834PN wireless router SSID OK, recognised the encryption as WPA2-PSK and showed a medium level of signal (3/5) but refused to connect. In the end I got it to work by manually configuring the IP address settings via the TV interface which is a slowish process but not too difficult to do if you understand IP addressing that is.

So three stars because when you get it working it is worth the effort, just for i-player alone, and much simpler than trying to run hidden cables. The downside is the the TV probably needs to be not too far from the router as the signal strength reports being medium even though other WiFi devices show a very full strength signal at the exact same spot. My router is on the first floor vertically above the TV which is on the ground floor so is only about 6-9 feet away.

The other gripe is the price, which is high for this kind of device and I felt I was forced to go with Sony for this feature. Still I'm very glad I've now got it working.
on 8 November 2010
It was with some trepidation that I opened this item, having read the "mixed" reviews. As stated in other reviews, build quality is as expected with Sony i.e. very good. The items comes with a solid USB adapter base and a 1.5m cable, giving some flexibility to it's position. Item plugged into USB port on Bravia TV and was up and running within seconds. I have my hub in the next room and get approx. 90-95% signal strength, so no worries there. Overall, quick and easy, the only gripe (as with others) is the price.

Just as an aside, I did connect up using my homeplugs as well (router to TV LAN port) and although slightly improved performance, my wife wasn't too happy with the wires trailing across the living room...

All in all, happy with this item, only loses 1 star because of the cost.
on 4 July 2010
I bought this adapter to work with the brand new Sony Bravia 32" TV I Wanted to use the wireless features of the set. My wireless Hub is the latest Netgear "N" ADSL 2 Wireless Router and is in the study approx 5 Metres away from the set in a seperate room. The adapter sees the network with a strong signal yet the set will often fail to connect. It HAS to be the adapter. I also have an LG390 Blu Ray with wireless and that works fine. It is up to you buy I would not buy this product again and would look at alternatives
11 Comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse