Customer reviews

The Railway Man
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 6 July 2017
I'm a school teacher who took some Year 6 children to Kanchanaburi as part of a residential trip. I read this following a visit to the 'death railway'. Such a moving book and testament to the power of forgiveness in a time when we all need to learn about it. Moving and personal, the story grips from the beginning and like a train takes you on one man's journey from rural Scotland to war torn Burma. Made me reflect on my own petty conflicts in light of such courage!
on 19 April 2017
Real-life redemption. I loved it. This is a terrific story, and not only is it a good story it is true, of a guy who goes back to meet his torturer to ask him why he did it. The real life redemption in this is affecting and I commend the book to you.
on 20 February 2014
I would never have normally read this book as I don't like to read about the subject of torture and man's inhumanity to each other. But i was curious about the subject. This well written book was brilliant . It was graffic but true. The life's journey and physical and mental disorders,and the ending was so moving. I would recommend this book to all readers who are looking for answers to the question of utter misery to forgiveness.
on 28 January 2017
The depth of detail that Eric Lomax writes with is captivating, and his story is fascinating. A truly remarkable account of a real hero and his journey of forgiveness. This is a must read book.
on 17 February 2014
An excellent read despite the dreadful account of his time as a Japanese POW.
Also the description of how the time affected the rest if his and others lives.
It's in a very small way given me insight into how a boarding school life from the age of 7 to about 16 and the continuous dread of beatings left me scarred too.
A must read so we never forget.
on 28 May 2017
A beautifully written and sincere account of the horrors involved in the building of the Siam Burma railway during WWII and of the tragic after effects for those involved, on both sides. The courage of the author and the Japanese interpreter to effect a reconciliation literally made me cry, something I cannot remember ever doing when reading a book before.
on 1 May 2014
I bought this after seeing the film as I felt there was much of Eric's life not portrayed. It feels sinful to say I enjoyed a book about one man's horrific experiences but I do think it is well written and would recommend anyone who has seen the film to read the book!
on 15 August 2017
Very real, raw, what can be said, utter respect. Humanity needs to learn from this but some do not I'm afraid.
on 23 June 2017
A must read for railway enthusiats and those interested in the struggles with the Japanese in WW2 , it interests and horrifies at the same time. Not a bit like the film.
on 1 September 2017
Moving and inspirational book. Well written and a great insight into one persons struggle with the effects of the war and what happened to him.