Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Fire Tablet Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit

on 23 July 2006
Sue Stockdale's book, 'Secrets of Successful Women Entrepreneurs' is a rare thing; it is an enjoyabe, easy to read, but very informative business book, which once started is hard to put down. The series of interviews with an amazing collection of successful women entrepreneurs are incisive and inspiring and I found myself finishing one and rushing straight on to the next. At the end of the book I found myself wanting to ask more questions of them all - there isn't time in this fascinating snapshot to delve as deep as you would like, once your interest has been awakened. However, I felt inspired and enthused by these individuals and returned to my own business with an extra spring in my step!
on 2 November 2005
The beauty of this book is its simple approach. All interviewees are high acheiving individuals, down-to-earth people who just happen to be women. Reading how they overcame various obstacles and acheived financial success running their own businesses can only be inspiring and encourage any would-be female entrepreneurs!
on 18 February 2010
Many years ago, when a management consultant, my research took me into a model of the world that polarised organisations into machines or as living entities. This concept has global implications.

Owners and managers who saw where they worked as a machine would tend to be autocratic, look for problems to solve, view suppliers, competitors and other stakeholders as manageable or potentially undesirable elements. This model lends itself to work study, rigid quality improvement programmes, a `tight ship' mindset and overall it is very yang, very masculine.

The living organisation model, which for me was the only place I was motivated to work in [or the goal of my `interventions' was to get from machine to living entity as soon as possible] holds immense promise. It is the opposite of the above, and most significantly, is female, yin.

Sue Stockdale opens her excellent book with seven steps to success, to quote her these steps `focus on the softer issues...'
This book is much more than how ten women turned good ideas into fortunes. And it gives examples of women who use the more masculine style of leadership.

I was drawn to it, because my wife is a successful entrepreneur, albeit at first a reluctant one. It appeals to me for reasons already given. It has value because passion, having a vision, being committed, having courage all pay dividends.

Ask anyone `in the street' to name geniuses, and almost all will name men. Ditto entrepreneurs. And yet interestingly, when I worked with dozens of boys in a tough Walsall Comprehensive, almost all of them regarded their mums as role models.

So, the future might well be female; God help us all if it's the extreme machine mind-set. Nearer to home, read this book, be inspired by the fascinating women chronicled in it, and start up your living business. You might also find some geniuses in there...
on 12 September 2008
I'm a great believer in learning from others and I found this book both inspiring and educational. I knew of some of the women in this book, but the others were new to me and their stories and triumphs were very encouraging. The biggest thing that came out of this book was the importance of believing in yourself and being persistent.
on 22 January 2006
It's not often you find a book that covers successful women in business and it's even less often you actually find one that shares the stories "warts and all".
This book delivers on the promise in a punchy, fast and easy to read style that enables you to learn from these role-models' attitudes, successes AND mistakes.
The 7 Steps at the end also really helps you to structure your own actions as a result of the inspiration found in the profiles. So you're not left feeling motivated but with no direction.
on 2 June 2009
All the entrepreneurs are very inspiring for women. I have read about Penny Streeter's story before and how she overcame adversity to achieve so much success.
on 1 December 2009
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was both realistic and motivating. It makes you realise nothing is easy and you have to work extra hard to acheive what you aspire to in life. And you fail many times before you actually reach your goal. I encourage any woman who wants to be successful to read this. It also is nice that it is all written from the womens perspective.
on 20 July 2013
A great book for any woman (or man!) serious about going into, or growing, their business. Easy and quick to read and dip into.
on 27 October 2014
Great little book shows that the women can do it as well as men
on 2 January 2014
This was a reasonably enjoyable read but I have to admit I didn't love it. I didn't feel I learned anything much. It may help to inspire some younger women. I felt it lacked concrete advice for young entrepreneurs.