Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.79

on 26 December 2016
I have a very wide taste in music from Heavy Metal to Soul to Blues, Classical and Reggae but I had nothing from the traditional Irish Folk genre until now.

Having somehow decided that The Dubliners would be the best place to start, the next stage was to pick a compilation out of the myriad that are available.

I wanted one which would include all their best known tracks including The Irish Rover, Wild Rover, Molly Malone, I'll Tell Me Ma, Dirty Old Town and Whiskey In The Jar all in their original studio versions.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that these tracks were recorded by different line ups and on different record labels, this wasn't possible.

I felt a 1 CD compilation was best for a neophyte and I eventually narrowed it down to this one. This compilation only includes tracks recorded for the Major Minor label in 1967 and 1968 by the "Original" Dubliners or the classic line up of the group which consists of Luke Kelly, Ronnie Drew, Ciaran Bourke, Barney McKenna and John Sheahan.

It doesn't include the first four tracks I mentioned, but there are several other great tunes I'd never heard before like I'm a Rover, Black Velvet Band, The Inniskillen Dragoons, All For Me Grog and many more.

All 5 musicians are superb but Luke Kelly's vocals stand out for me. There's something about his voice that really moves me in a way I can't adequately describe. No wonder I failed to make a career of journalism....

I enjoyed this so much that I listened to all the other tracks from the Major Minor era. There were a few that I felt were superior to some on this release like Muirsheen Durkin, Mormon Braes, Gentlemen Soldier, Kelly The Boy From Killan and Maloney Wants A Drink.

Oh well, perhaps I should buy all 4 albums from which this compilation was derived from.
on 19 May 2017
Great sound - delivery was super fast
on 23 July 2017
The Dubliners at their best.
on 13 March 2017
What can I say. Amazing. Great music for St Patrick day.
on 26 December 2015
Gave this gift as a present but it was my second choice as another Dubliners CD was sold out. The selection of music on the CD is good and has some of the better known songs. It arrived in good time and in excellent condition. An ideal CD for a reasonable price.
on 13 April 2013
i have always enjoyed any of the dubliners records or c.d.s, this one is very special to me thanks alot
on 15 April 2014
I chose this rating because the tracks are a great showcase for the Dubliners,particularly TheAuld TrIangle.The music is a great record of traditional songs & I would recommend that you purchase this as you will win for a treat.
on 7 July 2014
Reminds me of my dad he passed away 9 yrs ago he loved this music
on 15 March 2015
Classic Irish Music sung by the great Irish stars of their time.
on 3 April 2015
A fabulous CD but then everything the Dubliners do is fabulous