Customer reviews

Odd Man Out (1947) ( Gang War )
Format: DVD|Change
Price:£17.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 4 September 2017
Odd Man Out. Don't be put off by the Spanish language cover, the films are in the original English. Odd Man Out is one of the best films of all time. ALL the actors in this are terrific, probably because they were all stage trained actors even James Mason is out-shined, eg Robert Newton as Lukey the artistic genius searching to catch the light of wisdom in a dying man's eyes, Dennis O'Dea as the Police Inspector with decency in him and Elwyn Brook-Jones as the brooding Tober a man too noble for the current age. Like all the best film adaptations of books, this somehow manages to improve on FL Green's novel, which, really is, saying a lot. If you like the film you'll like the book.
on 11 September 2012
Have to say I discovered Carol Reed's ODD MAN OUT by accident on cable television. Could not wait to get a decent print on DVD, so I quickly ordered a Korean import that looks pretty good for this old film. I have had that for a few years. My original DVD review (found on Amazon US site) I stated I would love to see this film on blu ray. My wish came true thanks to this Region B blu ray. I knew immediately I needed to purchase a region free blu ray player. Once I got one, this title was my first purchase. This blu ray of ODD MAN OUT has been cleaned up really well. This is the best I have seen this movie look. The detail in the black and white picture is astounding! This blu ray blows away any other DVD version of this classic. The special features aren't the best, but I got this for this wonderful movie. Wish more studios here in the states would release more classics like this on blu ray. I am so glad to have bought this region free blu ray player so I can purchase more titles from The Masters of Cinema series from Eureka also (speaking of classics). Now they are what we in the states compare to Criterion. They have released some really great classics on blu ray and they look amazing. Tempted to get ISLAND OF LOST SOULS but my Criterion blu ray doesn't look that good, so I am not sure of the print Eureka used.
But I do know, if you are thinking of getting ODD MAN OUT on blu ray, do it! This is a classic I will cherish for years to come.
on 3 September 2010
I've just watched most of this film on BBC2,having missed the first twenty minutes. I only switched the TV on to check the time for tonight's football match so fate played me right for once.

From Cyril Cusack's defiant last words, through brilliant performances from Robert Newton, William Hartnell and the sheer artistry of F J McCormick to the lyrical and understated ending,this is a masterpiece. Each vignette within the story is beautifully acted and sharply observed and each adds a subtle item to a catalogue of human decency and frailty. The darkness is pierced again and again with humour, especially in the scenes between FJM and Newton("Why don't you paint an owld jug and some apples like the other fellas?")and the pathos is never mawkish.James Mason has never been a favourite of mine but in this film one can see why Hollywood claimed him. It's a pity he didn't stay here with Mr Reed.

I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard of this film before,although I've watched films all my life. I've always considered "Saturday Night And Sunday Morning" as the best British post war film,mainly for the brilliance of Albert Finney's performance, but this afternoon, I think I've changed my mind. I'm buying the DVD today in homage to a piece of cinematic greatness and I'm running through what I have on PVR to see if Wilfred Brambell is really on the tram.

Astonishing.
on 19 August 2015
The film speaks for itself but Criterion have lovingly restored / remastered it to be the best transfer possible having a different look to the Network edition. The extras go on forever. Visit www.blu-ray.com for a comparison and comprehensive reviews of both.
on 20 December 2016
One of the great British films. Superb acting by James Mason and Abbey Theatre actors. It is a film to own and go back to.
on 14 April 2016
This Blu-ray is region being locked has few extras on it picture and sound is very good And it comes with the little book
on 6 October 2015
James Mason reckoned it was the best film he ever made-I agree
on 16 February 2016
One of Mason's early films, haunting.
on 5 May 2017
one of the great British films
on 28 February 2016