on 21 March 2011
I was drawn in by the book title, the cover and the 5 star review by 'Gabrielle O'-I had heard nothing about the book until it popped up in the 'People who bought what you have just bought also bought...' page on Amazon.
I was totally hooked from the first page and have read it at every possible opportunity. It not once bored me as it was so imaginative and inventive that it kept you marvelling at the fantastical world the fantastic characters lived in.
It was purely a magical joy to read and despite it being magical and set in an other worldly place the relationships between and the characteristics of the characters were so realistic. The book astounded me and I cannot wait to read more from this author. When I read the last line on the last page I let out an audible gasp of disappointment as I turned the page as I thought it carried on. The ending was fantastic but I would have loved to have settled down for another 405 pages. I have recommended this to everyone I know.
on 20 September 2011
It's not often I feel moved to write a review. A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Book Thief, those are the sort of books that make you want to shout about them but this book is so weird and wonderful I recommend it wholeheartedly.

I just didn't know what to think at first and then I was completely gripped by the mystery and magic of the strange world of Bees and Mist. It's a family saga of lies and strong women - nothing different admittedly - but the atmosphere conjured up by the mist and the bees is quite disturbing. You have to read it with imagination at the ready to immerse yourself in this original storytelling.
on 18 February 2015
I felt like I was in a couples therapy session during the entire boring saga. They're together, they're not together.....on top of that I personally couldn't figure out what was real and what was a metaphor!! There is neither magic nor mystery in this book and some of you are saying it's written beautifully well you you clearly haven't read any of Carlos Ruiz zafon's books!!
on 17 December 2013
I would say liked it, it got me hooked. I can't place this in my top best reads ever but it's absolutely well worth a read! Mystical, dark, conjured up amazing images! Loved the heroine, loathed the evil mother in law! Buy it, read it, a bit bonkers!
on 4 July 2010
Erick Setiawan draws you in to a claustrophobic world of failing families, with all the bitterness and spite you might expect and surreal, supernatural events which shock and fascinate. The Bees and the Mist are both an objectification of a different powerful, destructive emotion.

Read this book and you will never forget it, you have been warned.
on 14 March 2011
I was immediately completely captivated by this book right from the first paragraph. The book covers the subjects of marriage, in-laws, the nature of women, and motherhood in a different innovative way. The magical metaphors in the books are writ large but they help form a better understanding of the characters feelings. The book is quite unlike anything I have previously read, a literary subject made interesting!
on 20 April 2016
Only halfway through but a thoroughly enjoyable read
on 14 May 2015
Book club choice. A fey book - with beautiful elements and rather ephemeral text - intend to re-read.
on 8 August 2013
I know it's had a mixed bag of reviews, but I really loved it and couldn't put it down. The writing is beautifully descriptive and the imagery fab… I think everyone reviewing has described the plot so I won't bore you again with that, but if you are thinking about reading it, do! As long as you take it for what it is, you will love it I'm sure :)
on 18 April 2017
Loved this book for it's interweaving of mystery and reality.