• Swim

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 April 2010
I only thought I'd review this as I was surprised there had not been any reveiws yet and it deserves one. This is an album of superb, inventive pop music, which seems to carry on where Niobe from his last album Andorra left off. It is catchy but with tons of little sonic surprises that you will catch the more you listen to it. I would struggle to describe it adequately if I tried, and as such I would simply advise that you look up the songs Leave House, Found Out and Sun. That will give you a fairly good taste of what the album is like, and I predict that you will like it and buy it.
on 2 November 2011
I must say it was a random purchase, but it turned out to be a really good one. Usually I like to pick things on my own and I don't trust all the selection of products 'I might like' just because someone else is telling me to do so. This time I decided to give it a try. I knew that if something came out from ninjatune label it simply couldn't go wrong! I'm a huge fan of their music, I'm absulotely in love with Fink and Bonobo, for those who know what I'm talking about I must say that Caribou is much more playful, funky, electronic than those guys, less acoustic and melancholic, but still great! The bass line is amazing, it's worth listening on good headphones, when you start discovering some of the hidden sounds. Well composed, postive, electryfying album.
Caribou is Canadian composer/musician Daniel Victor Snaith.
'Swim' is his most recent album, having previously released
four other albums under the Caribou and Manitoba banners
since his 2001 debut ('Start Breaking My Heart').

He is a purveyor of gently rhythmic electronic dreams,
although he is also sometimes overtaken momentarily by
the need to create a jolly pop song. 'Bees' on his 2005
album 'The Milk Of Human Kindness' and 'Melody Day' on
'Andorra' (2007) are both fine examples of these lapses.

The nine compositions on 'Swim' create a powerful and
coherent unity whilst retaining plenty of sonic light
and shade to sustain our interest and attention.

Mr Snaith's fragile but friendly falsetto contributes
a distinctive edge to the proceedings. Sometimes bouncing
around happily above and between the dance-friendly beats,
as in opener 'Odessa' (an addictively twitchy number!); or
in others slipping and sliding about like a man negotiating
a passage across thin ice ('Found Out' is an especially
discombobulating - and lovely - example).

The instrumental 'Bowls' is a particularly strong musical idea.
A simple hypnotic pulse is overlaid with rich layers of luminous
synth arpeggios and gamelan-like percussion. The effect is both
exotic and strangely affecting. Canadian temple music at its finest!

'Leave House' combines a jauntily nervous rhythmic and vocal
arrangement with a darker, brooding undertow which generates
considerable emotional tension. We are left uncertain about
the safety of the territory into which Mr Snaith is leading us
and this contrast is the track's greatest strength and arguably
the album's finest moment.

'Lalibella' is a curious miniature. It bursts into bright being
following an almost inaudible introduction, casts its brief spell
and returns from whence it came without as much as a by your leave.

Final track 'Jamelia' features a pleasantly shifty (almost jazzy)
vocal by Luke LaLonde (guitarist and singer with Canadian band
Born Ruffians). He does a good job battling between the waves and
seismic surges which Mr Snaith has conjured from the depths of his
wayward musical imagination. It is a complex and stirring conclusion.

Intelligent electronica of the finest pedigree.

Recommended.
66 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2016
My 1st Caribou Purchase! Im in! Immediately hit me with a fresh, quirky energetic playful vibe which was also ambient. So, original sounding yet with some touches of royksopp and radiohead perhaps? Then you have samples of oldskool sounds reminding me of bouncy old house, in places more erratic and in other more euphoric but all brilliantly conceived. A gentle yet confident production well worth a purchase.
on 10 November 2012
Bought this cd whilst watching this band as the warm up act for Radiohead. It's really well put together and great album and ideal background cd that has been played so many times already when we are eating on just wanting to chill after a hard days work. Will buy there other albums as well for a bit more variety. Whilst I can't go into detial of which tracks are the best it just works for us.
on 25 January 2011
I cannot recommend this enough.

If you love Boards Of Canada - Depeche Mode - I Monster - Aphex Twin - Dubstep... its all of these rolled into one gorgeous album.

All the tracks are long enough to allow you to immerse yourself fully in the music. I first listened to this in my car [after steaming open the parcel] and you know - I never realised how loud my Car Stereo could get!

Best heard loud and in the dark!

Wonderful - buy now or pay later!
on 8 June 2010
I have always had a soft spot for electronica dating back to the early 1970's and Tangerine Dream. This is one of the best dance albums I have heard in a very long time. It has a watery theme which lies within the beats and sounds. I cannot describe it better, you just have to listen to it. Composed by a mathmatician it is meticulously recorded. Who says Maths is boring? Ethereal and you cannot resist tapping your foot to the rhythms. What more can you ask for? Seductive vocals too. Lovely!
on 15 March 2015
I rarely buy albums but Caribou is just an insane artist and this album, I must of listened to it hundreds of times. On the bus, driving, flying you name it. Every song on the album is excellent. If you make one music purchase this year
Let it be this.
on 13 November 2010
The mathematical genius truly stands out in this album. 'odessa' is the stand out track but some serious effort has been put into each of the tracks. Definitely one for some slow burning, rump shaking floor-fillers.
on 26 November 2012
If you enjoy listening to electronic music or indeed good music, then like the title says, BUY!

As an added bonus, with the vinyl release I received a card with a download code for not only this release but also for a remix version of the album. Nice!