Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star). See all 22 reviews
VINE VOICEon 14 April 2010
If I was to write reviews for all of the Barenaked Ladies' previous albums, my Amazon profile would be filled with reviews rated 5 stars - I love their quirky folk-rock sound and their crazy lyrics. Over the past 15 years or so I've listened to their albums literally thousands of times. They are probably my favourite band of all time. So when I heard that one half of the lead vocals, Steve Page had left the band, I was devastated. All In Good Time is the first album without Page and after playing it quite a lot over the last few weeks, I will say it is....different.

Not necessarily a bad different but certainly not what I would have expected. Ed Robertson is the lead vocalist on a majority of the songs. I've always preferred him to Page (well, the songs where Robertson is the lead are usually my favourites) but without Page the variety, even if it is just a few "laaaa's" in the chorus, is lost a little and can become a bit repetitive after a while. It is a lot more grown-up sounding too - there are still some of their more upbeat tracks like "Four Seasons" and "Summertime" but there's nothing really in the style of "One Week", "Another Postcard" or "Get In Line" here.

Kevin Hearn takes the lead on 3 tracks - "Watching the Northern Lights" (my personal favourite from the album, and is very similar to "Here Come The Geese") and "Another Heartbreak". These tracks are very mellow and flow nicely whereas "Jerome" is more just a bit of fun. Jim Creeggan also leads on "On The Lookout" and "I Saw It" - both are good tracks but nothing spectacular. The first single "You Run Away" is hardly a classic but is still an great song - one that really grew on me after a couple of listens.

This is a very good album - the more I listen to it, the more I like it. However it lacks the fun and uniqueness that made BNL so different to other bands. I'm giving this album a 3.5 star rating as it isn't the classic I'd been hoping for but is still one of the best albums I've heard in 2010. I'm just looking forward to hearing what Steve Page's solo project is like now.
on 3 June 2011
I heard this album a few times before I decided to buy it. The first time I heard it, I didnt really like it as much as their other earlier stuff. There seemed to be a huge gap where Steven Page had left and the music didnt hit the same emotional notes that I really like about them.
Because I was dissapointed I left it for a bit then had a re-listen. What I noticed was that although you can tell Steven has left, the band seems to have grown up. The actual music is better and at times it is more technical than their older stuff. A couple of songs also have a bit of a Foo Fighterishness about them, which I've gotta say does work well.
I bought the album after a few listens and it is a grower, there are a couple of songs which are REALLY GREAT, and a couple which are not so good, but thats pretty much what my experience of BNL has been... the songs I love, I Love and the couple Im not keen on I dont notice so much.
The main point is give it a couple of listens, get used to the lack of Steven and once you do its not that much of a loss, good first album without him, so I'll be waiting for their next one :)
on 27 February 2017