Customer reviews

Beta Adult Dog With Chicken 3 Kg
Flavour Name: Chicken|Size: 3 kg|Change
Price:£7.99+ £6.57 shipping

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 January 2014
Flavour Name: Chicken|Size: 3 kg|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this product free to trial.

The family Springers (F,6yrs, M, 8 months) both loved this. Although it's for adult dogs the younger dog has been fine with it. As others have mentioned, the kibble has various shaped and sized pieces. The bigger harder pieces mean it isn't really suitable for dogs under 6 months.
This also rules it out for smaller or toy dogs - anything smaller than a Cavalier KC Spaniel will probably struggle with the larger pieces.

The dogs enjoyed it so much that the last few handfuls were put aside for use as treats; not something that you could do with every brand of dog food.

Regarding the prebiotic effects, we noticed no difference, but their tummies were fine and the food was tolerated well.
VINE VOICEon 9 February 2014
To be honest, all dry foods look and smell pretty much equal to me but this one did actually smell really tasty. I don't know how it differs from all the others but it smells quite a bit nicer and judging by how quickly the bowl was cleared I'd say it tastes pretty good too.

The only downside is that it is sold in unsealable packaging so there's a need to decant it all into an airtight container. It's not alone in that regard and I find that most other dry food is the same package-wise but I just wish more high volume animal food came as standard with a means to seal the bag once opened.

Bottom line is that it seems really tasty though.
VINE VOICEon 4 January 2014
When you have a sick dog finding the best food is really important. I was really drawn to the fact this food promotes gut bacteria and gut health as this is key for health in animals the same as in humans. Especially since Amber has been on antibiotics and other drugs it seems likely her gut bacteria isn't as good as it should be. She's not a fussy eater and loves this like she loves anything put in her bowl - as far as she is concerned the only complaint is not enough! It seems like a product with a lot of thought put into it and research to back up the claims. Worth trying for your dog - especially with gut health problems or general health problems.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 7 December 2013
I've been feeding a fussy spaniel with a sensitive stomach on Beta with chicken for the last three weeks and so far she seems happy and healthy with no signs of stomach upset. The kibble is in two different sizes, small and large, she munches the smaller bits first and saves the larger pieces until last. She's no more thirsty than she was, some dried food can dehydrate, and though her water bowl is always full she's not constantly drinking.

I'm happy and, more importantly, so is the dog.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 7 January 2014
Beta Adult Dog with Chicken 3 Kg

This is a dry complete dog food for adult dogs..

Nutrition.

The food in the form of largish pellets contains a complete diet for adult dogs. Looking at the composition everything is there for a healthy dog and its digestive system and maintaining health. All of the trace elements are there in the right proportions.
The only thing I found misleading is that Chicken only makes up 4% of the total meat content - the other meat protein is from other meat sources.

Feeding.

It is quite economical to feed and being a completely dry food you must always have a drink for the dog available.
Our Standard Poodle / Bearded Collie cross found it very palatable and it is eaten with no fuss or breaks. Our Jack Russell found the individual pellets a bit big but likes them as a treat when she does something right (not very often!!).

Overall.

This is a palatable complete food with good nutrition to maintain your dogs health plus provide energy. It can also be used as a treat as the pellets are quite large. It is better than the supermarket own brands and on a par with the branded 3Kg packs found in supermarkets. The only drawback I can see is the size of each kibble makes it only suitable for medium and large dogs, smaller dogs might struggle to eat it.
A food approved by my dogs which is complete and economical to feed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 December 2013
This dog food is presented in a nice sturdy bag which is easy to open.

There is a lot of information about the product on the pack, including a feeding guide as to the ideal amount to feed per day.

Given that this dog food contains a pre-biotic, you should not need to add any other type to the food. Like us, animals also benefit from good gut flora.

The dual sized kibble pieces (pic attached above) is useful for chewing. Both of our dogs loved this food.

This range of dog food is available through life - from Puppy to Senior Dog and includes Sensitive, Light and Active so there is a variety suitable for all dogs.

There is a 15 kg sack also available which if you have room to store it, would probably work out more economical.

"Amber" and "Maisy" recommend this dog food and said it was very yummy and crunchy.
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 January 2014
I have a jack russell called Daisy who can be a fussy eater so don't tend to swap food to often, but am sure like us humans does enjoy a change.

She likes the bakers dry food as a supplement to her normal food so thought I would try the Purina Beta stuff to she what she thought.

The biscuits are very dry, I know that sounds daft but they just seemed drier than the Bakers, there are two sizes which I thought may put our little dog off, she's not one for big biscuits, unless there covered in Chocolate (I know she isn't allowed them)

Her first visit to the bowl of Beta was nose up and back to her bed, then she returned and had one of the big ones, which she seemed to enjoy, I left her to it and returned half an hour later to find her a sleep with the bowl completely empty, she doesn't tend to do that with the bakers, she picks one when she fancies.

Day three and she is still happy with them, not as a main meal but as a top up midday.

She's happy then I'm happy
VINE VOICEon 1 January 2014
We gave this Beta food to a 4 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback (Hero) who is a reasonably fastidious eater and he loves it. A 3Kg bag of Beta retails at a price that is consistent with other quality, nutritionally sound bagged dog foods.

The key advantages of Beta are claimed to be that it has "dual kibbles" - it is composed of two differently sized pieces of food which is supposed to make the dog chew the food more. In turn this extra chewing is supposed to reduce tartar by about 20% over a month - obviously without scientific tests it's hard to check this claim but looking at the food (another reviewer has posted a picture on this page) and Hero's teeth they appear healthy. The other claim is that the high content of lean chicken gives the food plenty of protein to maintain muscle strength, again, I'm not saying Hero has improved in this respect as he is already a very muscular dog, but certainly his condition has been maintained with this food. Also, the presence of Chicory as a natural prebiotic is supposed to improve digestive health - again, no contra indications here.

To us the important thing is that this appears to be a healthy, balanced food that has been made with good quality ingredients which Hero actually eats. Although he eats a lot of wet food we'd happily feed him on Beta especially during the summer when wet food deteriorates quickly. I believe this food represents good quality, sound nutrition and has plenty of "dish appeal" for a fastidious dog, and on that basis I'd recommended it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 December 2013
The problem with trying out new dog food with my mongrel is that at first he will eat it, but then decide after a few bags that it doesn't interest him any more. On the other hand I don't want to go chopping and changing his food as this has led to some upset stomach episodes in the past. So once I found a food he would eat regularly I stuck with it, but I do get other bags to offer as treats.

It might seem odd giving dog food as a treat, but as long as the food is different to his usual meal (else he feels ripped-off) it tends to work. I have had a few bags of premium dog food in the past which he was not fussed on, but this Beta chicken food was not one of them. I give him a handful if he has been good following a bath or teeth cleaning, take a pocketful with me on a walk and give him individual ones for trick treats and he always shows an interest when I have the food in my hand. When he has a handful I do notice a bit more crunching than his normal food, so it has to be giving his teeth a bit more of a work-out. With treats you are limited on what you can feed the dog, but the only restriction on using dog food as a treat is the daily diet allowance for the dog. I am pretty sure this food as a treat is better for him than a lot of other treats you can buy.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend any particular type of dog food, a dogs tastes and needs vary widely, but I will say that my dog enjoys this and there has been no ill effects.
on 9 December 2013
Our dog has always been fussy about his food. We weaned him off wet tinned food when we got him, as it never looked that healthy and doesn't clean the teeth like dry food. Also you are paying for water in wet food!

I shifted him from his current food to this without any problems. If he dislikes anything he will leave it, and needs some treat mixed in before he will eat it. However, with this, after circling around once, he tucked in. So, good sign so far.

If you do find your dog fussy, but you find several foods he enjoys, I recommend cycling round between them, as I think they get bored if you buy a large bag of food and they get nothing but that for a month or so. Also, it is amazing how little "treat" in the food can work wonders, eg, just a few flakes of Parmesan! (Though ours is resistant to tablets and will not touch anything with tablets in, whole, crumbled, embedded in cheese, wrapped with ham, whatever!)

I recommend this dry food, either as-is or with a small amount of water to soften it.