on 24 July 2013
Very informative treatment of Larkin's life and his poetry. A lot of nuggets of info about his early life. Very detailed reviews of the poems. Excellent! Good for all students of poetry - university, school, etc.
on 17 February 2012
I found this book gripped me from the start. Confirming some things I though I knew, illuminating areas I knew little about and flatly contradicting some misconceptions, the book is insightful, sympathetic and, of course, literate.

Here is the real Larkin - a poet I admired more than liked, revealed to be more interesting and accomplished than I knew.

This is NOT a collection of his poems - they're available elsewhere - but a biographical assessment of the poet.
on 5 November 2010
The writer has been my Larkin teacher during the Summer term in Cambridge. His class and his teaching was an inspiration to start reading extensively into Larkin. This book reflects great scholarship. Mr Gilroy is a dedicated and insightful reader of Larkin and I recommend this book simply because it has made Larkin one of my favorite poets.
on 24 December 2012
I warmed to Larkin's verse with which I was not previously familiar. It provides regular entertainment at quiet times and is a good read.
on 16 January 2015
a story not "selected poems"
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse