Customer reviews

Spock's Beard - Don't Try This at Home (2 Discs) [DVD] [2010]
Format: DVD|Change

on 27 April 2004
Spock's Beard to me are one of the great prog bands going thanks to thegenius of neal morse. I was dying to get hold of this DVD, and uponreading the info on the back of the cover (which states great sound andgreat picture). I would like to be the first person to shoot the engineerwho mixed it. Because he has not got a clue and must walk around with a£1.99p transistor radio. Spock's CD's are superior in quality and it wouldhave been better here if they put a PCM stereo format on it, but insteadthey put 1 format of sound only, and that is dolby prologic. You may aswell save the electric and just have the TV on for this one. I cannotbelieve how many engineers out there have got a job in the music industry,this concert was done in 2000 for christs sake. The wall by Pink Floyd wasmade in 1982, and if you watch that on DVD it sounds and looks like it wasmade today, its totally awesome and yet made 18 years before this one in2000.
Anyway enough of all that, you may be asking yourself why I gave this 4stars instead of 0. Well it's down the fact that you get 5 hours in allcovering the making of V and the concert. The concert overall is verygood, just a shame it was not mixed by a real engineer. And the making ofV is very interesting. And of coarse the magnificent morse brothers clipis fabulous. So it's still well worth the bucks if like myself your a fan.I just pray that neal comes back to the band, so they can do a concert in5.1 DTS in the future, that would be awesome. Especially how the wayTransatlatic's DVD turned out in 5.1 thats fantastic.
on 5 December 2002
I had never had the chance to see Spocks's live, so I was craving for the arrival of the 2 DVDs set.The package itself has a very nice design and gives full info of contents, though I could be happier with an inside booklet. Also the fact that this DVD is originaly recorded in NTSC, doesn't give you the best picture quality. But the music... !!!! Now I know that Spock's Home is really on stage. From the outstanding full band peformance, to more relaxed acoustic versions of Spock's tracks, we are cheered with a band that delivers everything they have. The overall sound quality is not the best, and sometimes it feels like you're on the stage, listening to the stage monitors, and not in the audience. But the adition of many extras, including a comprehensive look at the recording stage of V, gives us a full vision of the Spock's Beard world, and how they build up some the best Prog rock albuns ever ( That's my opinion anyway !! ). If the overall quality is not the best I've seen, total 300 minutes with plenty of extra materials are enough to give a 5 star review to this DVD pack. For Spock's fans, Prog adicts, or simply music lovers, The Spock's Beard DVD "Don't try this at home" it's a must have !