on 13 January 2017
Not much I can say about this one that hasn't already been said. It is, after all, a well-known and well-read horror novel, and also a great movie that I'm sure most have seen at some point or another.

If you haven't picked this one up before now, what the heck are you waiting for!?

PS - Am I the only one who kept picturing Columbo whenever Lieutenant Kinderman made an appearance?
on 24 May 2017
As always an excellent book, the film is one of my favorites. I had this book in paperback and read it over and over. I like the extra background to the housekeepers, but I don't get where this supposedly extra bits that are chilling were, maybe I don't scare as easy as I used to. Still an excellent book and worth the price, this will be read again and again.
on 23 October 2017
What a magnificent writer Blatty was. His prose incisive, rarely repetitive. I'd only ever seen The Exorcist as a film. Following Blatty's death this year, I thought I would read the book having revisited the film. The Engstroms make better sense, as does Kinderman. I'd recommend reading the book before seeing the film, if you can.
on 5 March 2017
After seeing the film on a few occasions, I decided to give the book a go and it did not disappoint. An eerie story with interesting characters and as a rarity, the film did not stray far from it. Highly recommend this book if you like the film or not
on 4 December 2013
Many people say that the book is better than the film; honestly, I couldn`t bring myself to say that it is or isn`t. I wouldn`t dare to even put them against each other, as they are both perfect. Absolute masterpieces. One thing I loved is the subtlety in the book with some elements that are not in the movie. Just very slight things, like the book on witchcraft, for example. Those are things that stick in your subconscious and slowly emerge towards then ending movements of the book. A perfect read, and it goes beyond simply being a horror. Started Legion today, around 20 minutes after finishing The Exorcist. Hopefully I won`t be let down.
on 14 July 2012
Forget all you have ever read at second-hand; put to one side your distant memory of the movie; utterly destroy all the puerile pastiches since.
This is truly a great novel.
It is not, at heart, a horror novel; rather it is a morality novel, a tale of the triumph of good over evil, the struggle for the soul of Regan MacNeil.
And it is so well written. The characters of Father Karras, Chris MacNeil and, above all, Lieutenant Kinderman are well developed and very empathetic.
The relationship between Karras and Kinderman on its own deserves a novel and, at times, one even forgets that this is a book about the supernatural.
I first encountered "The Exorcist" as a movie, as one of twenty people huddled together in the centre of the Odeon, Leicester Square, London, for a midnight showing. I was immediately prompted to read the book and was electrified.
I then had the opportunity to live in Washington and to live in and know Georgetown pretty well.
And, as a setting, it works. It really works.
Which is only to be expected, with a master hand at work. And William Peter Blatty IS a master hand.
So, for any of you who have ducked this novel because you think it is too lowbrow, think again; for those who have declined in that they felt it may be a work of evil, also think again. It is a novel - expressly or mythically - describing evil, but also recording the triumph of God.
on 25 October 2017
the film didnt stray too far from the book-but there is more detail in the book. There is also a different perpective regarding wether she is possessed or power of persuasion. Definatley recommend.
on 8 October 2017
Having seem the film years ago, I finally decided to read the book. I wasn't disappointed. I found that the book had much more depth to the story and has given me a greater appreciation of the film. It is so much more than just a horror story.
on 12 November 2016
I found it a bit difficult to read not well written.
on 17 October 2017
Greatest horror film brought to the screen, book even better