Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Saturday
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 6 October 2006
I think my love of this book is idiosyncratic. I am a neuropsychologist and so loved the intermittent but lengthy descriptions of neurosurgical diagnoses and procedures. They are not everybody's cup of tea. Equally not everyone will enjoy the intricate characterisations and psychological development of the characters - even the peripheral characters of the children "grow" within the story.

I have to say that the periodic references to the terrorist threats of Al Qaeda seemed laboured rather than anchors in time.

Never-the-less I loved this snapshot into the life of a complacent, middle-class intellectual whose world is upended. There was real tension in discovering with him how to cope with physical threat to oneself and those that you love.
on 20 May 2007
There are no profound insights in this book to justify its slow narrative pace. Perowne, the main character, is too preoccupied with his work as a surgeon to achieve much understanding of the world around him, although he does have a certain compassion. This is understandable but tedious to read.
on 17 February 2016
Briliant. Love McEwan.
on 14 September 2006
This is one of the most pretentious pieces of literature I have ever read. McEwan is so bound up with showing us how clever he is to do so much research and use long words that he forgets that the primary function of a novelist is to entertain and provoke thought. The only thing this tedious rubbish provoked me to do was yawn.
on 4 May 2006
For me this is the best novel by McEwan. It is a beautiful study of a tiny slice of a man's life, wonderfully crafted and thoughtfully presented. The overall atmosphere of the book is of a pervading thoughtfulness, almost melancholy, with the details of the minutiae of the principal character's day adding great colour. The most rewarding element of the novel for me was the capability of McEwan to describe the relationships between the characters (in a marriage, in family in general, in friendships and chance encounters) without sensationalism and in a positive way. Grand events do occur in this novel, but McEwan's descriptive flair and penetrating analysis is enough that it would matter little if nothing at all happened.
on 16 February 2006
I have not read anything by McEwan before so was unsure what to expect, however I was aware of the hype generated by this book. It is a gently thought provoking read, and surprisingly pacy and in the main McEwan lets you get a real handle on the main character Perowne. However if you can forget the hype and drop expectations you will enjoy the read and for me the enjoyment was the realism and general mood that the book creates, it captured how we all experience different feelings and grab at thoughts in the course of a regular day seemingly unaware sometimes of what we are even thinking - enjoy the book.
on 28 July 2010
I really liked this book, having read the other less favourable reviews of it I can see where they are coming from, but this is the way McEwan writes, he is definitely an acquired taste and this book was true to form. Yes it is very descriptive and could be said to verge on overly so, but for me I felt I was really inside the mind of the central character and the book has certainly left me thinking about it - for me a sure sign that it was a 'good' book! It is not his best but if you're a fan it's definitely worth a read.
on 5 April 2009
Great writing as always. This is the only McEwan book that I haven't enjoyed. I got the impression that it was rushed probably due to editors insisiting on a book a year (?) but also you sense that maybe he was moving home during the writing process or some other quite stressful personal event. I hate having to write that as I love McEwan's work. Funnily enough it was my Mother's favourite McEwan book. She loved it.
on 18 April 2013
This another excellent book full of suspense and expectation. It is about the life of brain surgeon and what happens to him and his family on one Saturday. The idea is very well expressed and it has beec very carefully researched as one learns agreat deal about brain surgery and other medical conditions. To be recommended highly. There is also the added pleasure of Ian McEwan's wonderful use of the language.
on 4 December 2014