Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 8 June 2017
Like a lot of really good books it took me a while to get into this story but I am so glad that I persevered as it set the stage for the rest of the book. Atonement is brilliant, it goes into such depth explaining the withdrawal of our military from France and actually arriving at Dunkirk, the detail is amazing. Then onto the hospitals and the strict working conditions of the nurses when nursing was a true calling. All the while running through all of this a love story with a twist. Love, jealousy, spite, guilt it's all there. A must read.
on 8 April 2017
I liked everything about this book. Wonderful writing, tense storyline. Even the retreat to Dunkirk held my attention. I even found myself liking and disliking characters. One of the best books I have read.
on 9 May 2017
Came quickly and appeared in great conidition. The characters will annoy you greatly, yet it is one of the best book you'll read.
on 1 May 2017
As decried! 😬
on 2 May 2017
One of my favourite novels of all time!
on 5 April 2017
Very good!
on 22 June 2017
Only 1p!
on 31 October 2005
I started reasing this book one saturday and I have to admit I found it very hard to put down. I'd only ever read Enduring Love of McEwan's before and found that even more exciting, mainly because of the start and the fact that there were many twists in the tale. The first part of Atonement, set in a family house and grounds in the 1930's is incredibly written- sensitive, mysterious and gripping. The plot moves on but into a different decade and focussing soley on one character, then again in part three to another character. Fans of war novels will enjoy these parts, as McEwan's depiction of war time on the battle field and in the hospitals is realistic and moving. However I found the end slightly disappointing, not really because of the story but because the perspective changes from an impartial onlooker without an identity to a character we have observed throughout the novel. I found this view slightly biased and odd to read, and although the resolution of events at the end is fascinating I found that a few details and characters in the story were overlooked.
on 15 February 2017
Seems very useful for full analysis of the characters and themes and summarys
VINE VOICEon 2 March 2010
This is a beautiful, beautiful novel. McEwan's writing is elegant and evocative and he proves himself the master of different styles as he moves from the domestic suspense of that famous hot summer in Part 1 to the horrors of the Second World War in Part 2. The ending is stunning and although it surprised me it was perfectly appropriate and brought together the strands of many important themes in the book. This is an emotional novel too and, yes, I cried over what is one of the great literary love stories.

Atonement is an absolute masterpiece. This is a great work of literature and will be remembered for many years to come.