on 9 October 2017
I very rarely, if ever, find that the TV or film version of a book is better than the original, but this is one of those occasions. I read a lot of books and often stay up very late (or is it early) to finish them. This book did not engage me at all, and it was finished as more of a duty than a pleasure.
on 2 October 2017
Read this and never forget it. I find McEwan's work very patchy, but this is probably the best thing he ever wrote. A haunting, beasutiful, brave and heart shattering book. If you are coming to this after having seen the TV drama with Benedict Cumberbatch, relish the beauty and the exquisite delination of love and grief. If reading this before daring to watch the TV drama - be assured. Bioth are worth the tears and the compassion.
on 15 October 2017
I was engrossed in the first third but then lost interest and it was a week later before I started reading again. The middle section was slow but it picked up at the end. Anyone reading should do so for a story on coping with grief rather than any time travel aspects. I have read some of his other books and will probably read others in the future.
on 10 October 2017
I was intrigued by the way the author did not dwell on the lost child......his ability to let us into the mind of the father as he slowly continues with gathering in the remains of his life and finally comes through the dreadful years. Enjoyed the whole concept.....
on 10 October 2017
I love Ian McEwan's writing. I read this after watching the television programme and love the depth he goes into in each scene which is missing in televised version.
on 25 November 2017
Sorry, not one of my favourite books.
on 27 September 2017
Brilliant read
on 10 October 2017
Much irrelevance in here. Some very good prose but too many side issues that lead nowhere. Not his best effort.
on 3 December 2017
Downloaded fine
on 15 October 2017
A sad story told with great tenderness . The plot involves the scenario that is constantly in the mind of all parents and grandparents