Customer reviews

1,178
How To Train Your Dragon [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 18 February 2012
This was a very good film. And if I sound surprised, it's because I am. I can't say I heard much about it when it was released at the cinema or afterwards on its DVD release and I mistakenly put that down to it being a very average film in a market with an over-abundance of very average films. Plus, whisper it, Pixar do tend to have the upper hand on Dreamworks. Oh, how wrong I was.

How To Train Your Dragon is a funny and well made film about Vikings (why aren't there more Vikings in films? I loved Vikings as a kid) and their ongoing battles with the dragons in the area. The story is simple and follows Hiccup as he tries to gain the respect of his father, the village leader, but simple does not equate to dull. There is a blend of visual and verbal gags that took me a couple of watches to pick up on, so it does stand up to a rewatch or two.

I sometimes think animated characters tend to blend into one, with nothing really to separate them. Here, each character is an individual, all have distinct personalities and all of them are a joy. Even the dragons have great characterisation.

The animation is brilliant, with extra points going to the dragons, obviously, but, perhaps not so obviously, the backgrounds and scenery. When Toothless is flying, it's thrilling to watch.

I sat and watched this with a huge grin of my face and it's a film that can be enjoyed by anyone (no kids in my household, just four adults and we all liked it a lot). Even the fact that the adults were Scottish and the kids American (Scottish Vikings being a bit historically inaccurate, to say the least) didn't bother me all that much.

Finally, one last point, can I have my very own Toothless please? He's just adorable.
on 25 July 2016
I love the story and the characters of this film, they are truly a masterpiece of animated graphics, superb scriptwriting and imagination.

The story follows Hiccup who is the chief's son of the Vikings of Berk and who in all appearances is the most un-Viking person you can get. All he wants to do is impress his father who views him as an oddity and doesn't take him seriously but in the process he screws up and almost destroys the village (at the beginning of the movie) which is being attached by dragons. He makes it his mission to catch and kill a dragon but when the moment comes and he is face to face with one he just can't do it. Without realising it he has captured his soon to be best friend and companion.

Through a process of trust exercises he manages to get the dragon, whom he calls Toothless, to trust him and he soon discovers a whole bunch of things that are useful in taming dragons. Enter the plot twist - he must start dragon training with the Vikings, learning various techniques to trap, malee and kill dragons, which obviously makes him torn in two; learning about dragons and impressing his father.

I watched this film when it first came out and fell in love with Toothless, he is a brilliant character and you can genuinely see the friendship grow and develop throughout the film. I decided I had to buy my own copy and settled on the BluRay as it gives a much better picture and audio experience as there are picture details which are much more vivid and noticeable and the sound is much sharper and crisp too.

I would highly recommend this film to anyone, especially for families as this is a great family film which can be enjoyed by anyone.
on 6 May 2017
Watched the film before I passed it on for my great nephews to view. I thoroughly enjoyed the film from a child's perspective. It covers good against evil, a child strong enough to understand where the evil was coming from and eventually change the centuries held belief that they could never be friends. Triumph over evil on both sides by the tenacity and gentle beliefs of a child.
on 2 March 2017
I'm a big fan of the entire franchise. It's a wonderful feel-good adventure film with an element of strong emotions attached to parts of it.
I love the portrayal of the dragons as intelligent creatures rather than mythical beasts and the subtle humour is always appreciated.

A great film for adults and kids alike
on 23 September 2014
I love this film so much. It's fun and sweet and at times heart-wrenching and the relationships between Hiccup and Toothless, his father, Astrid and others are wonderfully developed. Great story, great characters brought to life with great voice acting. Don't know about anyone else but even as a (relatively) mature adult, I still want my own Toothless, he is adorable!
on 27 June 2015
Awesome. Just awesome. One of the best animated movies to be released, ever. For everyone. Exciting, happy, sad, thrilling, just everything. Anyone who does not like this film was probably messing on their I-phone in the cinema and annoying everyone else anyway!

Watch the 3D and get an even better immersion into the story. And popcorn - always eat popcorn ;)
on 13 December 2015
Really enjoyable movie and very heartwarming the relationship between Hiccup and the Dragon Toothless. Not as many jokes as you may expect for an animated feature but I really enjoyed this nonetheless.
on 30 December 2015
We got this for our Nephew who is obsessed with dragons and other mythical and fantastic creatures. It was pretty good and it kept him entertained for the duration. Now he watches it every time he stays with us. Great movie for keeping the kids quiet for a little while. He was thoroughly entertained.
on 26 March 2017
One of the best and a firm favourite in our house. Loved by children and parents
on 9 August 2017
wife loves this film its her all time favourite, good family entertainment.