1,162
Format: DVD|Change

on 18 February 2012
This was a very good film. And if I sound surprised, it's because I am. I can't say I heard much about it when it was released at the cinema or afterwards on its DVD release and I mistakenly put that down to it being a very average film in a market with an over-abundance of very average films. Plus, whisper it, Pixar do tend to have the upper hand on Dreamworks. Oh, how wrong I was.

How To Train Your Dragon is a funny and well made film about Vikings (why aren't there more Vikings in films? I loved Vikings as a kid) and their ongoing battles with the dragons in the area. The story is simple and follows Hiccup as he tries to gain the respect of his father, the village leader, but simple does not equate to dull. There is a blend of visual and verbal gags that took me a couple of watches to pick up on, so it does stand up to a rewatch or two.

I sometimes think animated characters tend to blend into one, with nothing really to separate them. Here, each character is an individual, all have distinct personalities and all of them are a joy. Even the dragons have great characterisation.

The animation is brilliant, with extra points going to the dragons, obviously, but, perhaps not so obviously, the backgrounds and scenery. When Toothless is flying, it's thrilling to watch.

I sat and watched this with a huge grin of my face and it's a film that can be enjoyed by anyone (no kids in my household, just four adults and we all liked it a lot). Even the fact that the adults were Scottish and the kids American (Scottish Vikings being a bit historically inaccurate, to say the least) didn't bother me all that much.

Finally, one last point, can I have my very own Toothless please? He's just adorable.
on 25 July 2016
I love the story and the characters of this film, they are truly a masterpiece of animated graphics, superb scriptwriting and imagination.

The story follows Hiccup who is the chief's son of the Vikings of Berk and who in all appearances is the most un-Viking person you can get. All he wants to do is impress his father who views him as an oddity and doesn't take him seriously but in the process he screws up and almost destroys the village (at the beginning of the movie) which is being attached by dragons. He makes it his mission to catch and kill a dragon but when the moment comes and he is face to face with one he just can't do it. Without realising it he has captured his soon to be best friend and companion.

Through a process of trust exercises he manages to get the dragon, whom he calls Toothless, to trust him and he soon discovers a whole bunch of things that are useful in taming dragons. Enter the plot twist - he must start dragon training with the Vikings, learning various techniques to trap, malee and kill dragons, which obviously makes him torn in two; learning about dragons and impressing his father.

I watched this film when it first came out and fell in love with Toothless, he is a brilliant character and you can genuinely see the friendship grow and develop throughout the film. I decided I had to buy my own copy and settled on the BluRay as it gives a much better picture and audio experience as there are picture details which are much more vivid and noticeable and the sound is much sharper and crisp too.

I would highly recommend this film to anyone, especially for families as this is a great family film which can be enjoyed by anyone.
on 6 May 2017
Watched the film before I passed it on for my great nephews to view. I thoroughly enjoyed the film from a child's perspective. It covers good against evil, a child strong enough to understand where the evil was coming from and eventually change the centuries held belief that they could never be friends. Triumph over evil on both sides by the tenacity and gentle beliefs of a child.
on 2 March 2017
I'm a big fan of the entire franchise. It's a wonderful feel-good adventure film with an element of strong emotions attached to parts of it.
I love the portrayal of the dragons as intelligent creatures rather than mythical beasts and the subtle humour is always appreciated.

A great film for adults and kids alike
on 30 December 2015
We got this for our Nephew who is obsessed with dragons and other mythical and fantastic creatures. It was pretty good and it kept him entertained for the duration. Now he watches it every time he stays with us. Great movie for keeping the kids quiet for a little while. He was thoroughly entertained.
on 26 March 2017
One of the best and a firm favourite in our house. Loved by children and parents
on 22 September 2014
I got really into the TV programme on the children's channel whenever my nieces were here and this was on so I decided to buy this to see where it all started and I really liked it. It was funny in places and I loved the interaction between Toothless and Hiccup.
on 3 December 2015
Bought as present for Mrs. Both she and my daughter love toothless and are both avid collectors like myself. Steel Book construction. Still in the Wrapper
This is an action packed dvd about a boy and a dragon. My 4 and 5yr granddaughters loved it but it was a bit to old for my 2 yr old grandson. It starts off a bit slow and dark but as the film goes on and the action begins its a good one for the whole family.
on 5 June 2017