on 12 July 2015
Loved it.
on 7 January 2012
The CD is brilliant. It was purchased as a present for my son at Christmas and he loved it. Would definitely recommend it.
on 27 September 2007
I never quite know what to say when trying to explain José Gonzáles because he is one of those rare musicians who does not try to add little hooks and intracacies to their music. Instead what you hear on this album is what you hear on the last (Veneer) a beautiful, elegant guitar line with a double layer of vocals. You could infact convince me that In Our Nature is Veneer's older more mature brother. The lyrics are certainly more focused and thoughtful, and somehow seem more passionate, though how I could not say.

As with the debut there is also one perfectly picked cover. This time Jose has gone for a trip-hop classic in the form of 'Teardrop' and has created a beautiful alternate version for the song. The members of Massive Attack can sleep safe knowing that one of their masterpieces has been delicately and successfully reworked.

Overall José is doing what he does best and making the most charming, elegant and heartfelt music that you can find at the moment. I dare you not to smile when you listen to this.
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2007
I've read reviews claiming "In Our Nature" is merely "Veneer Part 2" and sees Gonzalez re-hashing a winning formula. I feel these accusations are a little unjust. "Veneer" showcased such a wonderfully unique singer/songwriter sound that it would be hard and pointlessly dangerous to move too far adrift. Unfortunately the classic sophomore criticism is apparent thanks to this inimitable style; grand expectations of something new and better become rife. I feel that while the overall sound is undeniably similar, the album is in no way the same. It touches on different subjects and evokes new moods and atmospheres.

"In Our Nature" is another superb album from José Gonzalez, continuing his sound and style, but addressing new problems and forging new atmospheres and moods. It contains a number of songs which I feel to be his best work to date, such as the pinnacle "Teardrop", the striking "Fold" and the powerful climax of "Cycling Trivialities". Take this for what it is, not some wild new direction. Enjoy it!
on 24 September 2007
Wow, just got this after reading a glowing sunday times review, and I have to say was not disapointed! Such a simple yet beautiful album. Jose's guitar playing is as effortlessly brilliant as on Veneer. Lyrically very deep without being overwrought, I can see this getting better and better with every listen, without doubt, a future classic..
on 29 September 2007
Well I guess I wasn't alone in the universe in being absolutely besotted with 'Veneer'. I'm not at all musical myself, so I couldn't pin down what it was that made me fall so hopelessly in love with songs like 'Heartbeats' and 'Crosses' to mention but a few, but it's an album that I will never tire of listening to. So I bought this album with very high expectations, particularly having heard the single 'Down the Line'. After a couple of listens, it's still - for me - the standout track of the album. The rest of the album is still stunningly beautiful, and I agree that there's a real sense of maturity about the lyrics, but at this moment in time I haven't quite fallen in love with it . . . yet. 'Veneer' is, in my opinion, still the superior album but by no means does that mean that you needn't buy this. It's beautiful, calming, and I'm sure it will mould itself a place in my heart - and yours - in the very near future.
on 22 May 2012
I bought the first Jose Gonzalez album and was totally mesmerised by the flow of the acoustics and the distinct sound of all the tracks. This album is really good and a great follow on but somewhere it just lacks the distinct sound of the first. However, I've still enjoyed it and don't doubt that it will grow on me in time.
on 23 July 2008
I loved Jose's last album, Veneer, but this just stuns beyond reason.
It might be a little difficult to believe that there was much more that could be done with his sound, given the amazing quality of the first album, but it has been done. This album has the same sort of sound as Veneer did and yet it is almost impossibleto get the two confused.
In Our Nature feels a little more aggressive in style than Veneer, and feels more passionate.
It is a truly mesmerising album and, in my opinion is the best of 2007, despitemany other fantastic albums (including Marion Raven's Set Me Free).
on 20 February 2015
More clever guitar work.
on 8 October 2007
It's such a shame that people only seem to know Jose Gonzalez for his covers (most notably the omnipresent "Heartbeats"). He's an immensely talented musician and songwriter in his own right, as this record shows. It's beautiful, complex and captivating after just a few listens. Stand out tracks have to be the single "Down The Line" and the dark, heartbreaking "The Nest". Overall, an achingly beatiful record which shows that Jose Gonzalez is destined for greatness.