on 24 February 2018
I enjoyed most of this book. The ending ruined it for me. I found it unbelievable that the two main characters acted as they did. At a stretch, perhaps one of them - but not both. It might work better as a play. Possibly.
One person found this helpful
on 18 June 2015
As elegantly written as his other works but I found the end a little difficult to believe in. The plot or story is of course only part of what makes McEwan such a fantastic, enjoyable author and even allowing for my reservations, which I doubt are shared with others, he is stil miles ahead of most other contemporary novelists in the English language.
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 March 2015
This is enjoyable enough and definitely worth the read. I wouldn't put it up there with his best and I found the ending a little predictable but you certainly get drawn into the psychology of the rivalry between the two and so if you are a fan of McEwan you should like this. Like many of his books it can be pretty much devoured in one greedy sitting.
on 20 August 2015
Lovely story although odd ending. But the best thing about this book is the writing. You can almost ignore the story as this is what beautiful writing looks like. It's just a pleasure to read, and is classical music for the eyes.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 June 2018
Very good.
on 9 November 2017
Sparkling prose, perceptive human observation, let down by contrived, predictable ending.
on 28 January 2018
Well written, but like Clive's symphony the ending wasn't entirely convincing to my mind. But it's won a Booker prize so maybe it's just me.
on 19 February 2014
I was a huge fan of Enduring Love and with Amsterdam being one of McEwan's most highly rated works, I was expecting more. It reached a satisfactory conclusion, but I didn't enjoy the journey there as much as I thought I would.
on 5 February 2016
Very disappointing compared to all his other classics. Couldn't feel his characters at all at all!
on 20 October 2014
Not moved by this book and I was ultimately disappointed. I realised I didn't care if either of them lived or died which isn't a great recommendation. I prefered Enduring Love.