Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Amsterdam
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 5 March 2015
This is enjoyable enough and definitely worth the read. I wouldn't put it up there with his best and I found the ending a little predictable but you certainly get drawn into the psychology of the rivalry between the two and so if you are a fan of McEwan you should like this. Like many of his books it can be pretty much devoured in one greedy sitting.
on 18 June 2015
As elegantly written as his other works but I found the end a little difficult to believe in. The plot or story is of course only part of what makes McEwan such a fantastic, enjoyable author and even allowing for my reservations, which I doubt are shared with others, he is stil miles ahead of most other contemporary novelists in the English language.
on 20 August 2015
Lovely story although odd ending. But the best thing about this book is the writing. You can almost ignore the story as this is what beautiful writing looks like. It's just a pleasure to read, and is classical music for the eyes.
on 3 February 2017
One of McEwan's best and the quality of the copy is very good.
on 2 December 2015
Very good, nice twist, not sure why called Amsterdam. Quite funny.
on 19 February 2014
I was a huge fan of Enduring Love and with Amsterdam being one of McEwan's most highly rated works, I was expecting more. It reached a satisfactory conclusion, but I didn't enjoy the journey there as much as I thought I would.
on 9 November 2017
Sparkling prose, perceptive human observation, let down by contrived, predictable ending.
on 5 February 2016
Very disappointing compared to all his other classics. Couldn't feel his characters at all at all!
on 10 December 2015
Book itself was fine, thought I didn't particularly enjoy it. Rather contrived. Purchased to read at book club, probably won't read another McEwan.
on 31 January 2014
I ordered this book as it was a monthly 'read' selection at a book group. Found the characters a bit boring and didn't really enjoy it. As I have found with other novels of Ian McEwan, they seem to fail to deliver the goods for me.