on 18 April 2015
This book grew on me the more I read it. It's an ambitious novel with a clever idea at its heart. When Joanne Harris uses multiple first person narrators, the paperback copies usually have a symbol at the start of each chapter that indicates who is talking. I read this book on the Kindle and there were no visual clues at the start of each chapter to tell you who the narrator was. It was usually pretty obvious after a sentence or two, but still I think the publisher should treat ebooks in the same way as they treat paperbacks.
on 27 August 2017
Joanne Harris writes beautifully. This was her first novel and is a promise of the things to come! Rather dark (gothic), but her knack of getting the charachters 'just right' is very present/
on 24 February 2016
This was an absolutely riveting novel in some ways, but by the end, I felt slightly sickened by it and very confused as it strayed more and more into the supernatural.
on 9 November 2017
Average and disappointing
on 15 September 2012
I enjoyed this strange story from Joanne Harris. I am still not sure about the end but unlike some novels I did not skip to the end to find out what happened. Something quite haunting about the whole tale.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 April 2014
Second time I've read this and loved every minute. Truly a dark, ghostly and powerful read. One for the ladies I think . A real gothic page turner. A must read for any Joanne Harris fan.
One person found this helpful
on 27 June 2014
I like the different narrative voices, giving alternative perspectives, The tension is gripping and kept going to the very end. I read it in one sitting!
on 21 July 2015
as always a brilliant read by Joanne Harris. She weaves her tales with such skill I can't help but be drawn into them.
on 24 October 2013
Joanne Harris' take on Victorian Horror. Have to say it's not my faveorite of her books, but it's the same standard we've come to expect of her.
One person found this helpful
on 12 October 2014
An interesting look at what came before Joanne's more well know books