on 24 August 2012
I bought these to replace some MX500s which I had for years but got damaged recently. I was hoping to get the MX500s again but since they disappeared I went for the MX581s. I was not disappointed by the sound quality or the sturdiness of build. The delivery was speedy. Unfortunately the size has been altered and these fall out of my ears repeatedly and the bass suffers purely because of the loose fit. When I use the expansion rings they are too large and still fall out of my ears! Ridiculous! This kind of 'improvement' happens again and again with many consumer items being 'improved'. Designers shooting themselves in the foot yet again? Why change something that worked well? I'm hoping to get used to them in time, or maybe that glue they use for dentures would do the trick...
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2013
These are a fantastic buy, I usually go for cheap £2 pairs as I always break them easily, but these were definitely worth the hefty bit more than I'd usually spend. Although by themselves they are too small for my ears, they come with a great set of rubber adapters to make them larger. However, mine were quite loose-fitting on the earphones and so one was lost. Be careful with them, it costs a hefty sum to get replacements if you need them.
The earphones themselves are the best quality ones I've had in a while, just what I'd expect from Sennheiser. The volume control is a bit pointless in my opinion, but it's a nice addition to the overall set.
To sum it all up, great set of earphones with a nice bundle of extra bits and pieces, and a definite good purchase. Let's just hope these ones last me much longer than the usual pairs!
on 14 January 2013
These earphones are, according to the packaging, particularly designed for smaller ears (which ties in with previous reviews which say the earbuds are tiny) so they suit my little ears perfectly. Included are some foam covers and rubber extender rings which can enlarge the size of the earbud slightly, but these are essentially pretty small. The sound quality is superb and the cable is durable with an L-shaped connector handy for folding around whatever device you're using the earphones with, as well as an in-line volume adjuster. I use the included storage pouch for something totally different but it's a nice touch to include one all the same. Great value headphones and super quality - well worth a look.
on 2 May 2013
Bought for daughter to replace the cheapo Apple phones that had given up the ghost. Good fit and better audio quality than the originals.
on 21 November 2011
Having had the same standard Apple headphones for the past four years I decided it was time for a new pair! Instantly I noticed an improved sound quality with better clarity and bass than my old pair. The headphones fit my ears well, but if you need to a set of rubber and foam pads are provided.

The mock leather pouch provides a safe place to store you purchase as well as any Ipod nano. Lastly the splitter is a nice touch if like me you want to share tunes with friends and family. Overall I am pleased and would recommend these to anyone who wants a good pair in the price range. Not to sure on the futurity, but they look to be well made!
on 15 October 2011
Great looking earphones and up to the standard I expect as a long time Sennheiser fan. These seem slightly bright compared to the MX580's I had last. Having said that I haven't used them very much yet. My only concern is the size. As a man with BIG ears I find these a loose fit, even with the extra expansion ring in place. The lack of a snug fit would explain the slight lack of bass. As much down to me as down to Sennheiser. Just be aware if like me you are cursed with big ears.
on 20 August 2013
bought as a present and well received. they never seem to leave my son's ears. Havent tried them myself yet but he says they are great, which for a teenager is high praise! He's happy, I am happy.
on 25 August 2013
Needing a replacement for my old set of Sennheiser earphones, these really fit the bill. Great to look at with a real powerful punch of sound, they're really exactly what I wanted....
on 5 April 2013
The sound quality is great and so is the design. I'm quite happy with this purchase and would recommend them to friends.
on 31 March 2013
Very good sound quality, practical and easy to use. I take them with me all the time. Very good value for money.