TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 March 2011
I have been playing this for quite a while now, as I was able to get an EU copy from Greece - I know this game has been plagued with distribution problems, but I feel most strongly that these should NOT colour reviews about the actual game itself.

First up I must say that this starts with some really "clunky" opening cut-scenes which are awful and seem to go on forever. But once you are past these and into the game itself it was much, much better!

My favourite ever game on PS3 was The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year - Platinum (PS3) - and once you get into Two Worlds II, it is very much like this. So you have the choice of pursuing the main story (Chapter 1 etc) or going off and doing whatever side quest take your fancy. Like in Oblivion, you have guilds which you can join and do quests for - these also have the best shops and items for sale.

You can join the Mages, Warriors, Merchants, Necromancers and each have quests. Each town has quests as well, like Oblivion. Overall the map you can explore looks huge and you can go anywhere - you can even go swimming in the sea!

I went off exploring the coast and found horses that you can ride - as in Oblivion, which make getting around the map faster. Although eventually you discover teleports which get you around instantly.

A point about the huge map - it is big, but sections are reserved for online play. This has pluses and minuses :

Firstly it is basically free to get started and I have seen people complaining about paying for RPGs online. It seems to work pretty well and adds to the game - good value for money!

But - you have to start again and you can't use your single player character that you have built up to a high level. Also when I played - there was nobody on to play against - maybe due to the distribution problems? I got bored with it quickly.

However - back to the main, single player game - I really enjoyed this and have been addicted to the point where I have been playing nothing else and will have to agonise about whether to stop and play Dragon Age II!?

More positives :

I like the way you can break down any weapons or armour you loot, to their consituent components and then upgrade your favourites - none of this : "your inventory is full, you must drop something" nonsense! Just break something down!

I like the Alchemy option - Big Tip - you must do the quest for the woman who gives you horses in return for Mint from Ostriches to gain the Alchemy ability! You can use all sort of stuff to brew potions - I ended up with hundreds of items and it was great fun to brew up new ones. None of the problem where you end up in the desert with no shops and no potions - just brew up another one!

I like the mini-games within the game - lock picking and dice games for example - but my favourite was that you can play music! So it's a bit like a medieval guitar hero or rock band - I actually made more money busking on drums in the town square, with a guitarist, then I did on some quests where I had to kill many enemies!

I love the landscapes - which are beautiful and well-rendered - it is great just to wander about anywhere and look at the detail of plants and countryside. I'm fed up with games that are set in blasted, grey dystopias! This world is a real antidote to that.

A few negatives :

Your character is a bit clumsy, bumps into things and gets killed very quickly at the beginning. After about Level 21 you start to get better and get better weapons/arnmour etc. This may put newcomers off - you need stamina!

The magic system is very complicated and difficult to understand at first - also it doesn't seem to do much damage when you start. I was able to do far more, just by hitting things!

The character drawing is a bit clunky - landscapes look much better than people and your character is a bit terse. You can customise everything about appearance - but he sounds like Batman in the Dark Knight!

In summary, I have enjoyed this a lot - but it could be better, so I give it 4 stars overall and hope that Dragon Age will be a 5!

It's for RPG die-hards only - fast, shooter fans should avoid! If you like spending ages on characters stats, potions, crafting weapons/armour - it's for you.
1616 Comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I remember playing the original Two Worlds on 360 years ago... and also remembering turning it off again pretty soon after due to it being a bug riddled, ugly, wretched and unplayable mess of a game. So you can imagine it was with some hesitation I decided to try it's sequel after being pushed to by people whose opinions I trust telling me it was "excellent"... Gotta say... it is pretty god damn fun and really quite addictive once you get into it, but there are technical issues with this game that threaten to destroy the entire experience at the drop of a hat, so it can be fairly nerve wracking.

Starting off with some confusing nonsense about your character (Who MUST be male and actually speaks and has a set back story... you CAN alter his appearance though... a bit) being thrown in a dungeon by some mad wizard/tyrant who has captured his sister with plans to use her for some dark ritual. It is then your character is rescued by a squad of ORCS(!?!) who are acting on the orders of an oracle who believes you will save the world. From there, you set out on an epic quest to free your sister and kill the mad emperor guy in doing so. Most original plot EVER! It does what it needs to though I guess... the story is not where this game's real strength lies however...

If you've ever played Oblivion, then you'll have some idea of what to expect here, just in third person rather than first. TW2 actually came off as a bit of a cross between Oblivion and Red Dead Redemption for me. The game uses a persistent sandbox world and boy is it a BIG one. The world map is pretty considerable in size and there is a HELL of a lot to see and find throughout it but much of it seems to be made up of open 'empty' space with nothing of interest, so it won't be unusual for you to... say... spend half an hour or more working your way through valleys and forests just to reach a tiny village at the opposite end of a country to finish off some piddling little quest. Once you get a decent number of fast travel enabling 'teleport stones' activated though, this becomes much less of a problem. You can also make use of horses to get around faster, but I found the beasts to be somewhat unwieldy and hard to control. The combat is much easier to handle thankfully, with three main forms of combat for you to master in the form of melee, ranged and magic, as per usual for games of this type. Each of these combat types works well enough, but the best part of it is the 'dynamic' equipment swapping you can perform, where you can set completely different armour and weapon sets to either the left, right or up buttons on the d-pad, so if (For example) you are about to attack a camp filled with Werewolf men or something, you can switch to an equipment set optimised for magic and summon a squad of skeleton warriors to attack the camp while you immediately switch over to a ranged equipment set and pin your enemies down with arrows as your skeletons keep them busy and if any manage to rush you, you switch instantly to a warrior equipment set up and smash their skull in with a mace. It's this kind of large scale, on the fly strategic fighting that can make TW2 such a great game at times and while most battles will pretty much just be you running in and braining a rhino or family of apes to harvest their organs for alchemical purposes, the occasions when battle can actually be a challenge is well worth it. It is unquestionably a satisfying game to play, if not the most polished... but then, when are Western RPGs genuinely polished experiences? Unfortunately, I have yet to try the co-op campaign so I can't speak to it's worth... but considering it took me the better part of 40 hours to do just the single player mode and if the co-op mode is even half that length and plays as well then I see no reason it shouldn't be likewise good.

Technically, the game is the proverbial mixed bag. The surface visuals and texture work are very pretty to look at, with intricate details in armours and weapons and some nicely grotesque creature designs coupled with large scale cities bustling with people across a vast, streaming world. It looks great... HOWEVER... the performance is nowhere near as impressive sadly. There is a lot of framerate dropping in this game, sometimes to a fairly extreme degree. I don't recall it ever being bad enough to affect gameplay while in battle, but when you're doing something like running along the rooftops of one of the larger cities it can turn into an absolute slideshow. There are less severe, less regular issues with texture pop up and visual glitches like getting stuck in scenery and disappearing walls ans such which aren't as bad but still happen on occasion, adding up into one big ball of 'problematic' and thus leaving the entire experience walking a very fine tightrope between flawed gem and broken mess. Your tolerance for recurring minor issues and occasional major ones is going to be what ultimately determines how much you enjoy this game though. It definitely isn't 'broken' in the same way as something like the first Two Worlds or Alpha Protocol would have been, but it IS an extremely iffy affair on the tech front. So be sure to brace yourself going in. The sound front also has occasional glitches where voices will go all wonky or music will get stuck in a loop like a stuck CD, but for the most part it's competent. There's nothing spectacular on the voice acting front, but I have to say I loved the main character's persisting deadpan sarcasm throughout the game. True, it's possible that the voice actor was just sounding bored doing the role, but when your character's every line of dialogue sounds like it's supposed to be the dryest of sarcasm, you won't care, because it makes an otherwise mostly bland storyline a lot more amusing.

If you play a lot of Western RPGs, then you've problem come across a broken one or two, but never have I seen one that comes so dangerously close to being broken without QUITE going all the way into the abyss as TW2. It is a patchy, patchy game to see in motion but it is pretty and it is fun to play so your enjoyment is entirely going to come down to a question of tolerance. Can you live with massive slowdown and the odd glitch? If so, then give TW2 a try if you can actually find a copy anywhere, it really is quite superb.
on 5 April 2013
The game has an excellent open world experience. The story and side missions are great but the combat system can be a bit better.
on 14 April 2011
I previously imported this game back in September 2010 for the Xbox 360, from Amazon.de , as the UK release was being delayed.

Having played and completed I enjoyed this RPG so much I wanted to get it on PS3, whenever it was released.

There are many reviewers that like or dislike this game, but having played it through, all I will say is that if you like fantasy RPGs then you should try this one, a great improvement of the first Two Worlds, and although it has some very minor issues, camera speed, glitches in enviroment, and a few others, it is a great RPG and should not be missed.

Too many reviewers have slated this game for its issues, but with the PS3 version, quest problems seem to be fixed, and it seems to run fine. No game is perfect, and although game designers and programmers do their best to release a polished product, they can't always obtain 100% and please everybody.

With a large map area to explore, a fair amount of enemies to fight, from simple animals to demons and the like, many quests, and a good storyline to boot, this is well worth a look.

I could say a lot more about Two Worlds 2, but simply put, it's not quite Oblivion, but it comes close in a lot of ways.

Reccomended for RPG lovers.
on 30 January 2013
I bought this game as i love RPG's and i have played most RPG's for the PS3.

Graphically it is not as good as some of the other RPG's and it has more glitches than alot of the other RPG's, but to me games are not about having amazing graphics, the important thing is gameplay, and this is better than some of the big budget titles for gameplay.

It also feels more like a traditional RPG game, which is something that is lost in alot of RPG's now days.
on 5 January 2015
Two Worlds 2 is a fantasy RPG of the same ilk as games such as The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Skyrim, and The Witcher to name but a few. TW2 is a 3rd person game with heavy influence on, as is with most games in the genre, levelling up skills, ablities, weapons and spells in order to progress through the games' lengthy campaign. With plenty of items and other loot to discover, TW2 has a lot of content and really doesn't disappoint in that regard. Where the game does disappoint is pretty much in every other aspect.

TW2 is by no means a bad game. I have read so many scathing reviews of this game from reviewers and fans alike, some even going so far as to reference the game as one of the absolute worst in its genre. While this is going far too far in my opinion, I have to admit I do see where the frustration and dislike stems from.

The game's biggest issues for me lie in its seeming inability to get very basic things right. Overall the game looks good, it has great content, a so-so story, decent voice acting for the most part and plenty to do and explore. The problem is doing it all using the games' frustratingly flakey mechanics. It doesn't feel fluid at all and often while playing I found myself being undermined by this, taking hits from enemies where it wasn't my fault, unable to do certain actions because the game simply wouldn't let me or trying to teach myself how to interract with certain menu screens because the 'tutorial' was simply unclear. To prevent myself from writing too much here, let me simply list some of TW2's most irritating traits:

+ Sprinting and crouching are performed using the same button. Pressing L2 while walking causes you to sprint, pressing it while standing still puts you into a crouch. Not a big deal unless you want to crouch spontaneously to avoid an enemy.

+ You can't pick things up, open/close doors or speak to people while moving, you have to be stood perfectly still which really breaks the physical rhythm of your play.

+ Unsheathing your weapon is totally unsatisfying and enters you into an awkward and clumsy stance which breaks immersion.

+ The block button (also L2 by the way) doesn't always work. I've often had to press it 2 or 3 times before the game registers the blocking action, by which time an enemy has closed with me and has maybe already hit me a few times.

+ The auto lock-on system happens automatically when you are near a hostile. If you try to strafe or back off, your character literally turns in the direction you pressed which sends the auto lock-on whizzing all over the place. The only real way to perform melee combat is by standing still and trading blows; dodging, jumping back or rolling are non-existant.

+ Stealth attacks don't always work. I've had it more than once where I've snook up behind an enemy, the quick time prompt appears for me to stealth kill him, and it just doesn't work, the character swipes the dagger at the enemy repeatedly doing no damage and the enemy just stands there like nothing's happened.

That's the thing with TW2 overall. It isn't a bad game when you consider the content and size of it all, it's simply just too buggy. So many bread-and-butter mechanics are either absent or poorly executed making the whole thing very frustrating. Is it worth buying then? Well, probably not if I'm honest although if you can get over these technical issues then there is plenty there to have fun with. Is it the worst RPG on the PS3/XBOX360? No, not by a long way, but it is nowhere near the quality of the games I compared it to at the beginning of this review.

Sloppy gameplay and frustrating bugs overshadow what is otherwise a nice-looking and in-depth RPG. A missed opportunity from my perspective.

7/10 overall from me. Thanks for reading
on 16 April 2015
Frankly... ARGH!!!!
There are many good things about this game, and there are many bad things - so I will try to keep them balanced.

Down side, the plot is nonsensical, from beginning to end.

Up side, the game is engaging, particularly the crafting and lockpicking systems.

Down side, the draw-in and pop-in rate is amongst the worst I've seen on the PS3.

Up side, it does have the most unique magic system I've ever seen, and it is fun to spend hours creating some awesome spells.

Down side, the human models are terrible (seriously, what's with the eyes?), and the first hour of gameplay is pretty turgid.

Up side, the character build is great with many different areas to focus on, although this is tempered by the fact you can ONLY play a male human character.

Down side, buggy as hell. A lot of the dungeons have bodies half in the walls, so you can't get their loot, and there are numerous other bugs which cause quests to disappear or not update in your quest log.

This is pretty balanced, and would normally earn a three-star rating. However, the last hour of the game is so bad that I can only give one star.
Firstly, having spent time on many islands, your character is teleported to the final island - The Emperor's Capital.... which you CANNOT explore. Seriously. It is the biggest island on your world map, and you can only move through two very small parts of it.

Secondly, the final boss is ridiculous. Not because it is hard, but because the game suddenly switches from an RPG into a First-Person-Shooter... and your entire character building is MEANINGLESS!

I spent 200+hrs creating an awesome character, only for it to count for nothing because ANY character build can man the ballistas to shoot the dragon out of the sky.

I feel incredibly cheated and my bitter rage knows no bounds.

Avoid!
on 25 August 2011
Ok so I read some awful reviews about this game and then fairly decent ones too. I decided to buy the game because I needed something to fulfil my need for a medieval role playing fantasy game until Skyrim comes out. It isn't actually sold by UK retailers so Amazon is your best bet.
The game itself starts soooo slow. But I have found that the more you put into it, the more you get out. Trust me it gets good later on. The story is your typical save the world and your sister kind of thing, but there are hundreds of side quests and hundreds of hours game play. The Map is incredible, it's huge. You can ride horses, sail boats and fast travel around this massive map. It has amazing weapon, and armour sets, that can be broken down into elemental parts and rebuilt in the games amazing craft system. The magic system is also remarkable; pretty much anything you imagine can be done with the magic. The environmental visuals are amazing and it has really good lighting effects.
There are a few negatives to the game however. It tends to lag a little bit on the consoles when its autosaving so I have learnt to let is load completely before running about. It also has terrible voice acting, which can be pretty cheesy and lame. I'm also not that impressed with the loot system. These things however, do not outweigh the positives of the game.
This game is a good game to play for many hours. It is also now, I believe, game of the year. If you are reading this after Skyrim's release date, and do not yet own it, I think that might be a better option and experience. If, like me, these types of game are of interest to you then Two worlds 2 is defiantly worth your time. However if you are still on the fence, try borrowing or renting before purchasing.
on 18 March 2013
I initially ignored this RPG as it got terrible write ups, but i bought it recently and i am glad i did. First of all i will not compare it to the almighty skyrim, to do that would just be ridiculous. This game is very strangely addictive, and the massive improvement from Two Worlds to its Sequel is noticeable. I genuinely think if the improvement continues then Two Worlds 3 would be a contender for game of the year. TW2 is not the best game there is, it is not even in my personal top 10 but at under £15 you get a lot of enjoyment.

Firstly the bad points:
The controls are genuinely annoying.
When you turn the screen goes exceptionally blurry making it easy to get totally lost.
The mapping system is pretty awful
The graphics are pretty awful

Next the good points:

It is totally open ended, at the start tutorial, i decided to ignore learning the basics and went and found a lair/cave and started slashing and bashing all who stood in my way. Then went back to the tutorial a level 3 warrior!
The quests are more believable than a lot of the RPGS out there.
The characters are likeable.

If you want a groundbreaking amazing RPG game, dont buy this. If you want a good time killer which costs less than a cinema visit with massive potential to be something then give it a whirl. You wont be disappointed.
on 7 August 2014
like oblivion? .. hmmm. not really. the good thing about oblivion and skyrim is that if you see someone and kill them, then their gear is yours. you know you can have it. in this, its not the same - usually you can get loot but it doesn really represent what they're wearing and using always.

it's a 3rd person mage/fighter/archer game where you can quickly change gear mid-fight to suit your combat needs. it's ok i guess for a bit but in one player mode offline nothing seems to spawn in the game so once you've killed things, then that's it. so no farming or trying to progress quicker than you're allowed- this limits the game a bit because if you don't kill things along the way or never encounter them, then it seems you won't be getting the XP from them, right? ... hmm. limited use of weapons until you level up.

magic system is ok using cards (i'm not used to that) more fun being a fighter for me; archer is just rubbish. what's the point in that.

overall a good game for a quick play now and then, when you're waiting for something better to come out, e.g. Shadow of Mordor .

PS- online play is very poor - hardly seems like anyone else is playing it. then again, if you decide to start a game to host i'm sure you'll get people joining in