Customer reviews

The Genius of Design [DVD] [2010]
Format: DVD|Change

on 20 November 2017
This is an excellent series for everyone interested in designing and design history. From toasters to tanks, there's something for everyone.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 June 2010
Genius Of Design is one of those hidden gems. Even if you're not particularly interested in design, the history behind many everyday things is fascinating. Tupperware, the iconic school road sign, kitchen designs...and a whole load of mad creations and even madder designers
on 6 July 2010
I saw two episodes from this series when it was broadcast on BBC Two and have just watched the whole series right through on DVD. What a great series. Particularly interesting was the episode dealing with how design influenced the war although it is also fascinating to get an insight into the design history of the everyday items around us.
on 27 August 2010
This is a great series. I saw it first on television and knew I needed it at home for further study.

If you are into design, be it buildings, interiors, decoration, or graphics; or if you like to know how household articles get inspired by emerging technologies and then get de-cluttered and simplified, then this is the set for you.

There is so much detail that right from the start I was glad I had it in a format I can review, again and again. The narrative and interviews are illuminating, the photography and editing great, and the music, well, balanced.

Do I recommend it? Un-reservedly yes.
on 28 October 2012
this is a good product but for anew DVD to be given as a gift, I was concerned that there was no factory wrapping around the case. This gave the impression that it was secondhand. Not a good look for a gift.
on 18 September 2010
Informative, fun, and raises some good points. I'm a design student and this series is a godsend. The series spans from the victorian era to present day and describes how design was used during the second world war and how we're inventing new things and looking slightly in to the future. The only gripe I had is that I wanted the series to be slightly longer and in places a bit more in-depth, but that could just be me.
on 5 June 2011
The Genius of Design a two disk, 5 episode series that shows how and why design is such a compelling and fascinating field. If you have any interest in design this is no brainer purchase. There is no easier decision you could make than to get your hands on this DVD! ! !
on 8 September 2012
Note: this is not the full ~59 min per episode broadcast version but the usual ten minute short Acorn media version. If you haven't seen the full version you probably won't notice it but I found it grating. Originally the Amazon details page showed 300 minutes, now corrected to 243 minutes, so I thought these were the full versions. But as the difference grates and I already have a recording off the TV, I just like to support quality programmes but not Acorn Media's habit of cutting off ten minutes, I returned them.

The one good thing out of this is Amazing-tv-dvds, who were as good as you expect an Amazon Marketplace seller to be, reimbursed me without question once I had explained the problem and as soon as I informed them they were in the post back to them. At least that is one company I will happily use in future.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 January 2011
I loved this series of Documentaries. I had first managed to catch one of the episodes when it was on the TV and then had to see the rest! It takes you right through the history of design in the most practical terms possible and explains how society and culture influences design and vice versa. So good that I then had to buy The Genius of Photography. Also amazing. I learnt so much from it as did my boyfriend, a cinematographer, who was convinced he already knew it all...
on 12 July 2013
Shows the history behind the design, not just the commercial side of side, and introduces objects that may not have a wow factor but have changed the way we live.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse