on 28 May 2014
Lived my entire life in London and never had a proper waterproof jacket. I needed something that was top quality and decided to get one of the best brands out there. Nearly every man worth his salt has one of these jackets and they hardly need replacing.

One of the reviewers said he had worn his practically everyday for 12 years and it finally needed replacement. That is some high praise.

The recent downpour in London really made me appreciate the quality and also annoyed me on how unprepared I've been all these years. I now need to buy some really good shoes and I'll be ready for a torrential downpour.

The amount you pay is an investment not an expense. So invest wisely.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 December 2014
Bought when on special offer and it is a great value jacket. Keeps rain out and doesn't make you sweat
on 17 October 2014
Great price on Amazon, really lightweight but just watch the rain roll off.
on 31 December 2013
Waterproof and warm. Got it for a great price when on sale and we'll worth the money. Get one now
on 22 October 2014
excellent product,very pleased
on 28 December 2013
Fantastic product loving it better than North face value for money good quality,very sleek and stylish goes well under your blazer. No preferences season can be wear in winter or spring and autumn.
on 2 July 2014
Excellent jacket and light to wear, windproof so ideal if fishing.
on 15 July 2014
I love this coat!

I've had several waterproof jackets in the past, but borrowed a coat similar to this from a friend recently to go out in a rain shower.

What I love about this is that the jacket is well cut. By this I mean it is not excessively baggy. Every other coat I have had hangs off you and doesn't look great. This is sized well in all the right places. It is longer at the back, the sleeves are long enough, the sides are cut in slightly and the collar is tall and rigid enough to keep wind out of your neck.

I don't want to imply this is a tight fit as it is not, it is just suitable well cut to look good.

The lining is mesh, and is designed to be 'layered up' is it is cold. I have a thin berghaus fleece (purchased separately) which I use underneath if cold. Whilst these are not designed to zip into each other (there is no feature for that) they work perfectly together and allows you to configure the coat for whatever weather you like.

the waterproofing is good. Rain just beads off it. I read a review from someone criticising the waterproofing, but i can only imagine they had a defective coat as this coat has kept me bone dry in two most inclimate settings. There is the excellent double layered zip to keep rain from leaking through to zip, and the fold away hood is made of the same material, helping keep you dry and not look ridiculous like those silly thin fold away hoods on some coats.

I also read negative comments about the pockets as they are made of mesh. I think I should point out that these pockets are designed as such for keeping hands warm and out of the wind.. This is why they are mesh, so your hands don't become a sweaty mess inside nylon pockets. But to be honest, I keep things in the pockets and have no worry about losing anything. They zip up fine.

So yes, very highly recommended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 November 2012
I like this jacket's light weight, good wind protection while cycling, and adequate waterproof property (in addition to the L size being a perfect fit for me). I also agree with most of the good qualities mentioned by numerous reviewers, but one niggle that prompted me to write this review is the pocket zip mechanism.

I only had this jacket for a few days, and nine out of ten, the pocket zip catches the soft inner lining (and yes, takes a while to dislodge the lining caught by the zip). If the lining is stitched or glued around the pocket edges, then this problem would be gone, and it's disappointing that such premium quality jacket fails on such minor quality control. It is possible that the zip mechanism could eventually fail - unless some DIY job is called into action, such as gluing but again there may be a worry about warranty issues??

Great quality with a minor niggle with regard to the pocket zips, and hope the manufacturer takes note of such feedback as part of improving quality control.
on 10 January 2012
Berghaus always make high quality outdoor products and this jacket is no exception. I got it for my boyfriend as a Christmas present - he cycles to and from work and so this jacket it perfect since it is lightweight but still properly waterproof (he has worn it in a few heavy rain showers since he got it and as yet, no leaks!) There are only 2 things I would like to say about it. Firstly the pockets are made of quite flimsy mesh, which tends to get caught in the pocket zips quite easily, so I'm not sure how long they'll last before they get holes in them. The only other thing is the sizing... after reading some other reviews about this product I opted for an XL, even though my boyfriend is normally just a large, because others have said the sizing is smaller than expected. Having got it, it actually seems a little baggy on him but I think if I'd got the large it may have been a bit tight round his chest (which is 42inch), particularly if he wore a jumper underneath, and this obviously wouldn't be good for cycling so we've kept the XL.