Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

VINE VOICEon 28 June 2010
Often it is handy to have a small, cheap camera that can be put in a bag or pocket to capture photos and this camera fits the bill!

Having had this camera about a month, I can say it is excellent. Pictures are sharp and clear, it is easy to use, good 3x optical zoom, digital image stabilizer (for those shaky moments) and there are many different shooting modes to suit every occasion including portrait, landscape, macro, night, fireworks, sunset, beach and party. The shooting mode that I use most often is "scene recognition auto", where the camera automatically analyses the scene and selects the most suitable scene setting without the user having to do anything!

I must say the two features that were a bonus to the camera purchase were the panoramic mode and the ability to shoot HD video.

-In panoramic mode you can take 3 pictures side by side and the camera will "stitch" them together to form a large panoramic image. I love this feature and have spent hours taking some really cool photos. If you are really serious about it, then it would be advisable to get a tripod, however I have also taken some good photos without one (and some not so good ones, but its easy to delete and start again)! The panoramic mode is an excellent feature that can be fun (trying to get the same person in one large panoramic photo 3 times) and can also produce some high quality panoramic landscape shots.

-The HD video is also a great feature. You can shoot up to 15 mins and it is handy to get those quick action moments that you may otherwise have missed!

The camera is powered by AA batteries, this nearly put me off buying the camera as I usually use rechargeable batteries and I know that cameras can be power hungry when it comes to AA batteries. However, I used the camera for a 2 week holiday, taking over 200 photos and messing about with settings and playback and only had to change the batteries once. Plus it would be possible to buy AA rechargeable batteries and at least you can always buy AA batteries in most shops unlike camera model specific rechargeable batteries!

Anyway, if you are looking for a cheap camera that is easy to use and will give you high quality photos then I highly recommend the Fujifilm FinePix AV100.
33 comments| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2010
I needed to buy a lower cost camera with some of the features I had seen on my friends cameras. I bought this compact camera which has face recognition and anti-shake and at 12MP it is an excellent purchase. Great battery life and I run it on re-chargeables. The only area to beware is in low light conditions when the pictures become a little grainy. However my wife and I really like it :: it does all the things we wanted for a general family / holiday camera. Thinking now of buying another - well done Fuji - buy one today !!
on 22 June 2010
First of all I have had no problems with Amazon when it came to returning this item and receiving a replacement. I am in the process of returning the replacement camera (which has the same fault) and awaiting a refund as instructed by Amazon.
For the price, this is a good stills camera, which can shoot in medium res video. However, It's big selling poinnt for me was it offered a 720 p HD video option. Unfortunately, the two AV100s that I have tried, both freeze/lock up when recording outdoors in sunlight in HD. You can't even turn the camera off without having to open the battery compartment. (Also the battery door is flimsy and can be difficult to close squarely) I have now found out that this seems to be a common problem with this model, as I searched the net and Youtube. I understand from what I have read, that it will need a firmware update to resolve this issue.
Hope this helps. To recap OK for stills poor for video, unless you shoot indoors or use a lower setting.
33 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2010
I decided on this camera after reading reviews and comparing specifications with its competitors, all of which are more expensive, and this little camera proves that cheap isn't always rubbish these days. You get what you pay for and in this case its a hell of a lot when compared with cameras only three or four years ago.
Although the instructions are on a CD and not in a handbook its easy to copy the CD to you P.C. and read it from there, however the camera is so easy to use that after a short time exploring the large screen on the rear all falls into place very quickly and I find no need of the CD at all. The first thing I was delighted with was the battery life, after my experiences with a five year old Samsung that I was using before, which had to be accompnied by armfuls of batteries if I was going out intending to come home with a few dozen photos.
The download programme that comes on the CD is not very user friendly and I no longer use it prefering instead to just bring up 'My computer' on the PC, plug the camera into the USB connection and the computer immediately recognises that something has been connected to it and allows you to download the pictures and place them where you want on your PC for editing and printing later.
The full auto mode on this camera is a setting which one is tempted to use all the time but a better option is the simpler 'AUTO' mode which appears next to it on the shooting mode menu. This also allows the digital zoom to operate which it will not on 'Auto S R' mode. Beware of camera shake if you use the digital zoom up to its maximum. This goes for any camera and a tripod or a solid base to rest on can be helpful.
This little camera runs well on cheap batteries from discount stores that cost pence to buy and also shoots well in dark areas without the flash. It has numerous settings for shooting all sorts of scenes which one would probably not use but its nice to know they're there if you need them. I also purchased a 4gig memory card for an extra six pounds or so and this gives over two thousand shots on medium megapixcel settings and gives good quality photos at this setting.
I could go on and on about this camera as I'm so pleased with it and rate it as excellent for the money and I cant see why an amateur would want much more, and I have'nt even explored its video capabilities yet !!
on 23 July 2010
i have several cameras but all very big and bulky, i wanted a handbag size camera to carry with me every day.....this one is ideal. went for fuji as my other cameras are fuji and already knew the controls etc, take great point and shoot pictures, but the macro facility doesn't get close enough sometimes, ideal first camera for any age, its compact and lightweight

i can totally recommend it for anyone
on 26 July 2010
A very compact camera producing impressive results. I have moved from SLR roll film to this digital compact and I am very pleased with results. It is small, lightweight and easy to use. If I had to pick a negative, the microphone reproduction in video mode is not of a very good quality although picture quality is excellent. I am impressed.
Be warned! the Camera case offer for 'A''J' 'Z' series Fuji Cameras' with 2Gb card Does not fit this camera!
on 21 July 2010
Good camera for the price, and a nice colour. Takes sufficiently good pictures for ordinary use.
on 2 July 2010
This is a great camera and I'm enjoying every minute of it. And do try the HD video because it's great. File size is quite large for longer videos but quality is worth it!
on 2 August 2010
Excellent quality pictures. Easy to transfer to computer. Great playback mode. Top product!
on 12 February 2011
The Fujifilm AV100 is a sensational camera!. Everything you need in a little piece of kit!. Personally i have bought this camera for the purpose for a holiday abroad. This camera was perfect for what i needed, as it was relatively cheap, compared to its common rivals.

The features were amazing for its price. the HD video, is a fantastic quality and it is great looking back on the videos of the holiday on it. The pictures are stunning quality. Why buy anything else? This can meet anyone's needs.

I will always stick to fujifilm, after buying this great camera.

The Fujifilm AV100 is a truly inspirational camera.