This magnetic dress-up toy from the Melissa and Doug range makes a refreshing change from many toys of this type, in that it is clearly aimed at BOYS. There is another Boys' dress-up toy from the same range (Joey - which comes with a slightly different set of outfits).

The toy encourages co-ordination and imaginative play and is extremely well made. Billy himself is made out of wood, with a plastic-ey feeling coating over the printed surface which helps to keep this in good condition. He's roughly 1cm deep, so pretty durable, and slots into a blue-coloured wooden base so that he can be made to stand up. The range of outfits provided is really nice and themed to appeal to traditional boy tastes - these include costumes to turn Billy into a knight, a builder and a superhero. The costumes are also quite durable-feeling (roughly 3mm deep) and made out of what looks/feels like it might be MDF. Again, the printed surface is coated, and the clothes have a thin layer of magnetic sheeting on their reverse sides.

The toy is presented in a nice, blue-painted wooden box: it's not just for display, you get a decent storage solution to put the toy away. The only slight let-down is the flimsy, thin plastic cover provided - which feels more like the sort of covering you get on ready meals than part of a quality storage box. This is the one component that isn't designed to last. Not worth deducting a star for, as the toy and sorting tray it comes in remain lovely, but one area where the manufacturers could improve on the design: it seems a shame to create such an engaging toy, provide a well-made matching sorting box, and neglect to include an adequate lid to help keep the pieces from getting lost.

4.5 stars
on 30 December 2013
My twin boys both seem to enjoy playing with magnetic billy, I think it was well worth the money. They enjoy swapping and changing all of the outfits and mix & matching the different outfits, firemans hat with policeman's uniform etc, they seem to find it very amusing. As other's have said it's a shame it doesn't come with a proper lid as the box itself is lovely. I've taken ours out and put it all in an old biscuit tin so the pieces don't get lost. There's no way you can store it in a toy box and not lose any of the pieces without a proper lid.
on 25 October 2012
We use this product in a busy Pre-school. It is a popular toy and is well used. It still looks like new and I would highly recommend it.
on 5 February 2011
I had bought a similar dress up toy for my daughter and my son seemed interested so I bought him this boy version. He loves it. The costumes for Billy are exactly what he's interested in - construction worker, knight, pirate, etc. And he's spent a lot of time playing with it. I noticed one piece of clothing's picture is slightly peeling away from its magnet, but otherwise it all seems very durable.
on 4 February 2015
I brought this in the sale for my 3 year old. It is a sturdy set and my lad enjoyed playing with it but he did get bored quickly. The set is aesthetically appealing but I was a little disappointed with the quality. The figure does not enjoy being in the stand and it did topple on occasion. Also some of the magnetic pieces didn't fit particularly well - so the whole outfit was slightly big for the figure. There is also limited scope for mixing up the outfits as given the individual shapes, they didn't always fit together. My boy bored of this very quickly unfortunately so does not really play with it anymore. Still, I really do like Melissa and Doug toys and this IS a good toy.
on 4 October 2015
Bought as a gift. You can't beat melissa and doug quality. My little boy has one too which he often uses and is a nice break from running around!

The only snag is there is no lidded box/container to help store all those little pieces, so we have lost a couple of bits already. Will have to find a storage box for it.
on 28 November 2012
THis little magnetic dress up set is adorable. My 2 and half year old little girl loves Billy. She enjoys dressing him up in different outfits and making up her own story about Billys adventures as a Pirate, A Fireman, A knight, A Super hero and a builder. Its a lovely little toy. My younger child likes to pull stickers and put pieces in mouth which can leave it looking worn. Have had to make special time for my daughter to play with him.. A nice toy which Im sure my son will enjoy when he gets a bit bigger. Its nice to see a male version of this kind of toy. I would agree that if there were a lid for box it would prevent pieces getting lost. I have a 7 year old boy who also likes Billy because Billy is a Boy....
on 27 January 2016
Dress-up toys are mostly intended for girls but this one can be presented to a boy. I like the quality of the toy as all Melissa and Doug items I have are well-made. Still I agree to previous reviews about the plastic cover. I would have preferred something more solid.
My son has a lot of fun dressing Billy in different costumes. Hope the costumes won't peel.
on 21 February 2014
I am really disappointed with this product. I rarely give anything bad reviews and am surprised to see that so far I am the only person to score this toy one star. I have three criticisms but to be fair the first two are only small niggles.
Firstly, the item really should come with a lid. The flimsy plastic cover (that only covers half the box) is quite inadequate. Secondly, the pirates hat is too heavy for the magnet and slips down over his eyes which is just annoying!
My main criticism of the product is that the character pieces aren't interchangeable. I would have thought the main part of the fun was being able to dress a pirate's body, with policeman's legs and a builder's hat, but you just can't. The superhero's cape is about 0.2 cm's too narrow to allow any other bottoms to be used with it. The knights helmet comes down too low on the neck to allow for any other top to be used and so on.
It is a bad design and if I could send it back I would but as it is not actually faulty I'm guessing we're stuck with it. I would not recommend this toy.
on 19 February 2015
This looks good at first glance, but I think it's ruined by the outfits not being interchangeable. Surely part of the fun is having a pirate with a fireman hat & clown shoes etc (there is no clown, but couldn't think of what else!), rather than having to dress them exactly as they should be. The design means the different outfits don't fit though.

See one answered question