on 17 June 2012
What an amazing way to end this series! This book was absolutely jam packed full of action! I figured we'd get more of a build up but it went straight into the battle pretty early on and it didn't stop from there.

One thing I find odd about me liking this book so much is that there is a lot of flashback scenes (Percys dreams & the Gods showing him stuff) and it didn't bother me one bit. I normally really, really hate flashbacks but it is a testament to Riordan's writing that I really loved this book anyway. Every scene felt it had a purpose.

I was so glad that so many great characters played a part in the final battle. Clarisse has never truly been a likeable character but in this book she was downright HBIC.

There were also so many twists. A lot of them I really did not see coming. Even though we had a lot of clues they were cryptic and open to a lot of interpretation. I did manage to guess a few but in the end it didn't really matter because the ending was so well tied together that it felt like no matter how hard you tried, you could of never thought of it yourself so perfectly.

If I was less fangirly about this entire series I could have two complaints about this book. It felt like it tried too hard to be funny at the start (but it soon evened out). There where so many random one liners, that fair enough to Rick Riordan made me laugh out loud, but they weren't really needed.

Secondly, everyone turned out to be redeemed or forgiven in some way and not everyone deserved that. In a way it made sense, after all these are just kids. But some of them where just downright evil and others complete brats that didn't deserve to be redeemed or forgiven at all.

The ending was sweet and left a lot open so Riordan could write a lot more!

And can we please appreciate how awesome Nico is. I had to stop myself at certain points because no way should a person my age be thinking that Riordan's description of Nico was attractive!

My two favourite quotes:

"If you're heading downtown from Central Park, my advice is to take the subway. Flying pigs are faster, but way more dangerous."

&

"I kept climbing - past another telkhine who was so startled he dropped his Li'l Demons lunchbox. I left him alive - partly because his lunchbox was cool, partly so he could raise the alarm and hopefully get his friends to follow me rather than head towards the engine "
8 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 August 2013
This is the last book in the series of five that make up the Percy Jackson series. There is a follow on series called The Heroes of Olympus, which features some of the characters from this series, but this is the culmination of this particular five book plot arc.

I have been reading these books to my children all summer, and have been as excited as them to finally find out what happens, which is good, because they demand at least three chapters a night, and sometimes more if my voice can stand it. This is not a book you can read as a standalone novel, and if you are new to Rick Riordan's writing I suggest you start with the first book, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief.

Riordan's books are always action packed, but I think this one is even more exciting to read as it launches us straight into the action and never stops delivering thrill after thrill. My children were utterly gripped.

I don't want to give anything away here, so will not go into the ins and outs of the plot, but will say that we all thought the ending was excellent and everything was resolved satisfactorily. An amazing series.
on 4 March 2017
A riveting tale of mythic adventure in a contemporary alternative world. The Greek Gods exist and through their demigod offspring are still involved in the affairs of mortals.
3 people found this helpful
on 13 November 2015
This time is my second time reading the Percy Jackson series and I have noticed so much more detail. It is unbelievable that a book can be so unique and entertaining. I was never bored and I just got transported into another land. I have learnt so much about Greek Mythology from this book. Each book from the series Are so equally good and I am sad that it has ended for the second time, I recommend this book who want a clever investing easy read. My overall review is FANTASTIC you should definitely get this book!!!!!
on 13 February 2017
Bought the whole series of Percy Jackson for my 12-year old son who liked a lot all 5 books (including this) and read them during a relatively short time. When he finished the Harry Potter series he was in trouble what to read next so we pick these for him. I am glad we did because the story is good and engaging, adventurous enough for a young boy plus it teaches some about acient greek history (which is a bonus really). I would definietly recommend it.
on 28 July 2014
I love these books, as a 22 year old single working mum there is nothing better than putting your child to bed, cleaning then relaxing with a good fantasy book. I read all 5 in this series within 6 days (dinner breaks inc) i really didn't want to put them down or to finish. Just ordered the Heroes of Olympus books and i hope they are as good if not better than these. 5 stars!
One person found this helpful
on 21 June 2017
Now finished the last in the set and have enjoyed them all.
One person found this helpful
on 20 November 2012
This is the 5th and last book in the Percy Jackson series. Olympus is under attack and its up to Percy and his friends to save the Gods. The whole series was very well thought out and after reading the last book and looking back to the first I can see how it was all building up to this moment and all the little hints along the way. I loved how the prophecy turned out as well. That was a really good twist in the plot right at the end. Overall I thought it was an excellent series with a brilliant and dramatic ending.
If you were disappointed that it was all over then consider reading the Heroes of Olympus series. This picks up a few months after this book and stars some of the same characters on their next big quest.
on 11 September 2016
Altogether it was an amazing story. It was great how it all led up and ended with a twist. I still have the other set of books to read and I like how the prophecy hints about the characters in those. I think. The comedy from book 1 to 5 was great. My favourite bit was was when you could open a real website named uglyface.com. Rick Riordan is a brilliant author and I am surprised he is not more popular. Can't wait to read his next book! :)
on 30 August 2013
This book is the last in the Percy Jackson series, apart from the demi-god files, and it is truly a fantastic end to the books.
I really enjoyed reading all the books but this book has been one of the best in series.
This book has many surprising events and gripping chapters that make you turn the page. I found myself living in a whole new world when reading. I, also, liked the relationships in the books. It really shows exemplary friendships and it even makes you feel the saying "there is more to someone than meets the eye", for those who have read the book will know what character I am referring to.
Although I found some of the events predictable, which many of you will, it still completed the book. I am happy with the ending of the book, Rick Riordan has really made the series come to a excited and gripping ending.
As Percy Jackson is a now turning into a major film series I can only hope that all the films do the books justice and bring them to life.
I recommend teenagers to read this book but it is also suitable for adults. It show the intensity of high school, building friendships and dealing with the bullies as well as showing that when you put all differences aside we are all the same.
This book is truly a fantastic read!