Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.65

on 2 April 1999
I always wonder where some of my favorite authors, such as Amanda Quick (a.k.a. Jayne Ann Krentz), get all of their ideas. Who knows. With I Thee Wed Ms. Quick has done it again. This is a fast-paced tale of treachery, deceit and of course love between two souls meant to be together. The snobbery and airs of "polite society" are hard for the intuitive, quick-witted heroine, Emma Greyson, to tolerate. Forced to serve as a paid companion to women of the upper-crust when her ship quite literally failed to come in, Emma tries in vain to learn how to hold her sharp tongue and keep her job. Emma's fate and the story take a marvelous twist when on one night during a house party the hero declares her to be his betrothed in order to save her from the hang-mans noose. Emma is far from thrilled but a life working for Edison Stokes is better than no life at all. Edison is the illegitimate son of the late Lord Exbridge. He has enough money to be accepted and even grudgingly respected by those with, shall we say, more traditional parentage. Edison is a former student of a mysterious martial art called Vanza and in search of its Book of Secrets, stolen from the Temples of Vanzagara. The plot revolves around the quest for this book and the secret recipes contained within. Emma at first is bait Edison uses to try and lure a thief into the open. When the plot takes a murderous turn, more than one in fact, Edison is faced with a very real danger to the woman he has come to love and must protect. As Emma rarely does as she is told, in order to protect her he must place his life on the line as well. Clear your calendar for a couple of days when you pick up this book. You will not want to do anything else until you finish it.
on 23 February 1999
Financier Edison Stokes listens carefully as his friend Jonas provides him with a clue as to who stabbed the elderly gentleman. Jonas mentions herbs and Ware Castle before succumbing to the knife buried deep into his chest. Though a wealthy member of the Ton, Edison knows he must avenge the murder of his friend by bringing the culprit to swift justice.

Edison immediately travels to Ware Castle where a party attended by society's elite is being hosted. He meets hired companion Emma Greyson in a closet where she hides from the unwanted advances of several guests and he seeks clues. He finds the spirited young woman irresistible and agrees to forge an alliance. As they fall in love they work together in an effort to ferret out a dangerous killer, not realizing that she is the perfect dupe for a clever murderer.

No one except perhaps Jayne Ann Krentz (I know) or Nora Roberts has reached the pinnacle of best sellerdom as quickly as the incredible Amanda Quick. Her historical romances live up to her name as they sell so quickly. Her current Regency romance, I THEE WED, has all the excitement, non-stop action, and endearing characters expected by readers. No two ways about it, Ms. Quick is heading back to the New York Times best selling list.

Harriet Klausner
on 9 June 1999
... this might have been a great novel, not just a good one. Edison and Emma had all the spark and chemistry of Ms. Quick's early novels and the development of Edison's relationship with his grandmother was well done. But the Vanzagara stuff (Eastern-esque meditation and martial arts) really tried my patience.
It's bad enough that this author, who writes contemporaries under her own name of Jayne Ann Krentz, fills said contemporaries with Zenny heroes who find life's answers in weird pseudo-philosophies. Why must she fill her historicals with the exact same nonsense? I thought that the reason for developing novels under a different name was in order to experiment with *different* stories. What's the point when both lines of novels are the same except for costuming?
Perhaps Ms. Krentz should take a hint from Nora Roberts, whose J. D. Robb futuristic In Death series is extremely different from the novels she writes under her own name. Either that, or Ms. Krentz might as well slap Jayne Ann Krentz on her historicals too rather than go to the trouble of inventing a pseudonym.
on 28 November 1999
I am a huge JAK and AQ fan, so I waited eagerly for this to come out. I had read reviews that said it was the best thing she had written for ages, and others that said it was terrible. But quite honestly, it was neither.
Despite what I had read, this wasn't a formulaic novel - in fact, maybe that was the problem. It never really seemed to get started, and my overwhelming impression of it was a feeling of 'Is this all?' It seemed like AQ was trying to explore new ground, and break that very samey mold she's fallen into lately, but it just didn't work. I kept getting the feeling that I had missed something - and of course I had, but it was something missing in the book, not in my understanding of it.
All in all, I can't say it was great or awful, but it was a bit of a disapointment. So if you are looking for something to renew your faith in JAK, then look for one of her older offerings.
on 19 April 1999
I have just finished reading "I Thee Wed" by Amanda Quick. I am a big Quick/Krentz fan, but I found myself a little disappointed with this one. The story started off well, but soon ran out of steam. The plot was inconsistent, with characters thrown in that were either unexplained or truly irrelevant(ie. Miss Kent). I felt as if I missed a chapter or two. And while I enjoyed Edison Stokes, Emma's personality left me cold. Ms. Quicks' recent female characters are too closely related to her contemporary ones. Bring back Harriet, Olivia, Prudence. Her earlier female characters showed more vulnerability and interest. And they brought out the best in their counterparts. In this story, Edison seems to need no improvement, while Emma is sadly lacking. Her villian was apparent right from the very beginning. Mostly because we were left without an adequate alternative. I really felt at the end that instead of everything coming together, I was left with a lot of holes. Even the way she handled the betrayal was somewhat disappointing. You knew it was coming, but the reason was sorely lacking. I did expect more from this novel than I got. Now I am left waiting to see if her newest contemporary hits or misses the mark.
on 26 June 1999
"I thee Wed" follows in the footsteps of other Quick disappointments. I enjoyed the early "R" and "S" titled Quick novels even though they were all cookie cutter images of each other. Starting in the "Deception" timeframe, I began to notice a decrease in my enjoyment. "ITW" continues this long decline. The plot follows the usual Quick recipe of a slightly eccentric lady, a wealthy member of the ton (though I question whether even money would grant an illegitamite man entry into the ton as in Quick's last 2 novels), elements of danger and a strong sense of familty. After reading "ITW", I wondered what was missing from the earlier novels so I re-read "Rendezvous". I found the missing ingredient was character development. The characters were not only more well formed but their dialogue was sharper. One reason for this is "Rendezvous" contains between 15% and 20% more words (my use of an OCR and some simple math leaves some room for error). This may not sound like much but an extra 50 pages of dialogue in a 250 page book provides a lot more insight into the characters. Another review referred to this book as writing by the numbers and that is my conclusion also. Ms. Quick/Krentz has sacrificed quality for quantity with the result her work no longer rise above the pack. Read her earlier "S" and "R" books while waiting for "ITW" to come out in paperback, then wait a bit longer until it shows up in the used book stores. There should be an adequate supply because this book is certainly not a "keeper".
on 9 March 1999
Emma Greyson is not above writing her own references when she is dismissed from a position after being accosted by her last employer's son. Now she is a companion to Letitia, Lady Mayfield. To avoid the attentions of a lecherous gentleman at a party, Emma decides to hide in a wardrobe only to find it occupied by Edison Stokes.
Edison Stokes is attending the house party in the behest of a old friend. He is on the quest of a thief who had stolen a ancient text of the mysterious potions of a ancient sect. It was a fortuitous meeting in the wardrobe. He engages Emma as his assistant, as he had noted she was highly intuitive, and he knew the villain would be on the lookout for such a female to try out a elixir. Thus begins an adventurous romance.
Amanda Quick (Jane Ann Krentz) writes a good tale. This is not one of her best, but, nonetheless, it's enjoyable. I Thee Wed is heavy on external tension and light on the internal intrigue, adventure and romance.
on 23 June 2017
As described
on 11 April 1999
I had to stay up late to finish this book in one sitting! The story line was fun and not too complex. The passion between Emma and Edison was explosive, and unpredictable. Having read Romance for a long time, I was still taken by surprise when these two came together! I think the story stretched the imaginable a bit. The "Strategies of..." were a bit far-fetched, as was the ease with which Edison managed to go outside the circle, but all in all it was a FUN book to read, with great characters and a plot that moved along nicely.
on 18 May 1999
I have read all of Amanda Quick's book and find this one doesn't quite meet the standards of the others. Not as much tension between Emma and Edison as main characters in other books. Also, Basil Ware was predictable. I was interested in finding out what happened to Miss Kent, but it was never mentioned in the book. Also, once Emma moved in with Victoria, the character of Letty was basically dropped with no explanation. The ending to me was a let down, not much suspense. I enjoyed the earlier books much better and still re-read them.